Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: I'll show you mine ...  (Read 227501 times)

Andres Bonilla

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2005, 01:57:18 am »

mythos

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2005, 01:57:14 pm »

here is my humble contribution (as "RBR" in my gallery):

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc?mypics=434323
[span style='color:darkblue'][span st

stefanie_ch

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2004, 08:46:19 am »

wow...  

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2005, 05:27:33 pm »

True story: in  Public Speaking class final in which I had gotten a 37, I found the teacher had given me the score from the number wrong, not the number right. I actually had a 63 which was a D-. When I brought this up to her attention, she acknowledged the mistake but still found another 6 points to take off, thereby still flunking me. That this has anything to do with this discussion I have no idea, but I always wanted to tell the world ... OK, maybe that the teacher's or judge's impression is the one that counts, right or wrong.

I also tend to not comment rather than comment negatively, unless directly requested. Sometimes we don't particularly like an image and can't really place exactly why. It just doesn't appeal to us, doesn't click. Maybe this is the case here.

I also don't like to judge people so I always give them the benefit of the doubt. Rather than assume someone was trying to be rude, I'll just assume they didn't know how to express themselves politely. Frankly I'm often appalled at the writing I find on the internet :laugh:.

To get back to Jonathan's image, it frankly did not appeal to me on initial impression, but I realize it was probably a victim of "web prep". I have a feeling that the original had better dynamic range which got mushed by the JPEG compression, and between that and the pixel downsizing what was an interesting study in shades and texture got wacked by the web ...

I hope to be done with my China images tonight or tomorrow, so you'll all get a chance to rip'em up - no worries, I frankly don't care .

Cheers,

DJ
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

AndyBannister

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2005, 09:39:28 am »

uaberry

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2005, 08:48:35 am »

Sorry about that:

www.uriahberry.com

I'll test it this time  :)

Joja

• http://www.johanjanssens.com/
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2005, 03:00:45 pm »

WOW!! there are some wonderfull images on this forum!
Especially like the one with the red sky from DiaAzul!

I would love to post some of mine to get some feedback on them. But i dont know how to post them here ..
Can someone help me with that ..?

The only thing i can do is refer to my website www.johanjanssens.com
My landscapes are found in the landscape section ;-)
I also would love to get some feedback on them
and also the last image in the travel section..
its a square image taken in the snow,
while travelling in the nederlands.

thanks
------------------------------------

katemann

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2005, 05:22:32 pm »

Howard, I think whether a person enjoys eating something and whether a work is good artistically are two totally different things that have nothing to do with quality in art.

Elephants may paint but they don't paint as well as Gauguin. You may not agree. If you do not, then I think you don't know very much about art. (and I am NOT saying that you don't)

I am a competent photographer - some of my shots are okay, some are good, but Michael's beat the begezuz out of them all. He's a better photographer. I don't like some of his photographs quite as well as others of his photographs, some of them I love. Some are fine art, some are interesting, some are quite ordinary.

I wouldn't expect that Michael should feel obliged to say nothing if I should say that I don't like the out of focus moose on the the highway - and just because he posted the photo here doesn't mean that it is no longer his. (I happen to be very fond of the picture by the way - it's one of M's best in my opinion)

Howard, I think we probably disagree and that's okay.

jock4

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2005, 02:44:57 am »

some photos from the yorkshire dales.

http://homepage.mac.com/jwrevie/PhotoAlbum4.html
http:/web.mac.com/jwrevie

abaazov

• http://
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2005, 07:36:12 pm »

well here is my two cents' worth....a few pics from around the world....

akclimber

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2004, 05:21:42 pm »

Not landscapes but most definitely nature - 2 photos I currently have on display at the Juneau City Museum as part of the Alaska Photographic Arts Association juried show:

"Silent Snow"

"Weathered Winter"

CHeers!

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2004, 06:04:40 am »

Boku,

Nice images!  I have a story similar to you.  I majored in photography in college, opened a commercial studio right after, got burned out after about 10 years and stopped doing photography.  

I have always liked doing landscape photography and that's mainly what I did in college, but when I was making a living in the business I stopped doing what I loved the most.  After not touching a camera for 12 years I bought a DSLR a few months ago and the creative juices started flowing again.  I now enjoy making my own images again.  

I'm learning the whole world of digital imaging and that has been a challenge.  Digital is much more fun than the chemical lab process.  Still an adjustment, but I'm slowly getting it.

Regards,

Scott B
Birds of a Feather!
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2005, 02:41:39 pm »

I like the first and last one, the middle one should be cropped more horizontal by reducing the bland ground and sky areas and focusing more on the pattern of the houses.

howard smith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2005, 05:07:28 pm »

BlasR, I was not pointing at you and saying you couldn't take it.  But there may be someone else who can't or doesn't want to or doesn't need to take it.  They shouldn't have to "take it."

I have said before that "The image is ugly", "The image is beautiful" means little.  Why is it ugly or beautiful.  That is what I need to know to learn something other than BlasR or someone else thinks its ugly.

katemann

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2005, 09:34:04 am »

Gentlemen, it seems to me that there are many ways to discuss photographs in the context of this forum without resorting to "you suck and so does your work".

I expect a large percentage of us have had some sort of formal art education and we have all had to sit through critiques of class assignments. Throughout the time that I was at art college I only had one instructor who allowed students to attack the work in such a way as to verge on an ad hominem attack. Although, "I really don't like this piece." was a totally valid and common opinion expressed, you wouldn't dare say it without some reason, even if it was simply a personal distaste for the subject matter.

I think we could easily be more charitable without falling into a habit of bickering or of saying "yes, that's very nice" about everything without any sort of honest look at the work.

I would admit that I am inclined to not comment rather than comment negatively. Perhaps I will feel more comfortable as time passes, and as I get to know your work, and your various personalities a bit. I am a newcomer to the forum, though a frequent visitor.

All that said, I must say that I was not overly impressed with your black and white photo as published here Jonathan. I suspect that the original is much more beautiful than the version that I am seeing through the media of internet and graphics card and monitor. I love black and white work, and your piece appears to be technically very well done. The subject matter is interesting and nicely composed as well. I just find the photo ... flat. I think the rest of your work presented here is on a higher level.

Please note that I am not setting myself up as a judge with any more authority than any of you. I have certainly posted photos here that I have critiqued much more severely than that, but posted them simply as information. Eventually I hope to be able to post works closer to exhibition quality.

I am glad to see this thread continuing on as a quick survey of what we are all up to. I'm having fun. I hope you will all take my comments as constructive.

katemann

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2005, 11:12:32 pm »

I have to admit, the image is growing on me. I really like the fog on the mountains. Perhaps it's mostly just a matter of not enough contrast, which is entirely not your fault, given the variable on the net.

katemann

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2005, 12:38:59 am »

Diazul, try right-clicking and something like "show picture" .. if you are on Windows.

Jonathan, I like your new crop and the change in contrast. It's now about the mountains. I think that was what the problem was for me - it wasn't about something, although there was a good something for it to be about. You cropped at exactly the right spot on the left, I think.

I think you've been a bloody good sport about it all too.

katemann

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2005, 11:13:25 pm »

I like your photos Andres. I would love to have painted that last one. wow.

Doc

• http://www.52photos.com
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2005, 03:47:19 am »

Can I ask where you read about the camera raw that made you change the settings - I would like to have a read to.
It did come out better I think.
Learning everyday !

Doc

• http://www.52photos.com
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2005, 02:19:43 am »

I like this pic - did you take it in colour and move it to Black and White or use B&W film for it ?

(This was for the B&W that was above my post - a musician -- gone now ?)

Black and Whites tend to show the best in people shots especially when the person in the pic is working or concentrating.

This fellow is doing both and enjoying it to boot - you can tell.

Cool pic !  

Learning everyday !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Up