Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching to Contax for my P25...  (Read 15253 times)

jeff_singer

• Jeff Singer Photography
Switching to Contax for my P25...
« on: February 23, 2007, 01:10:22 am »

I'm scheduled to get an upgrade to the P25+ when it comes out.  At that point I can switch the mount if I want and I'm thinking about switching from my Hasselblad V mount to a Contax mount.  I love my Hasselblad, but I don't think its working for me like it did when shooting square with film.  I'm going to take a look at one of the Contax rental kits at a local dealer, but until it gets back in I wanted to get some feedback from people here that use the camera or decided not to use it.

My main concerns with the camera are the 1/125th flash sync.  I'm used to a higher sync speed than that.  How much of an issue is this?  Also, I thought I've heard it mentioned that the viewfinder is actually quite small... is that true?  One of the biggest reasons I like MF is the much larger viewfinder and it would be hard to give that up!

Thanks,
jeff

----------------------------------------------------
jeff singer | photography
http://www.jeffsingerphotography.com
[url=http://je

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:50:31 am »

I'm scheduled to get an upgrade to the P25+ when it comes out.  At that point I can switch the mount if I want and I'm thinking about switching from my Hasselblad V mount to a Contax mount.  I love my Hasselblad, but I don't think its working for me like it did when shooting square with film.  I'm going to take a look at one of the Contax rental kits at a local dealer, but until it gets back in I wanted to get some feedback from people here that use the camera or decided not to use it.

My main concerns with the camera are the 1/125th flash sync.  I'm used to a higher sync speed than that.  How much of an issue is this?  Also, I thought I've heard it mentioned that the viewfinder is actually quite small... is that true?  One of the biggest reasons I like MF is the much larger viewfinder and it would be hard to give that up!

Thanks,
jeff

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.jeffsingerphotography.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use the Contax 645 immediately after it was released to the market and since then, I left behind my Hasselbald 205TCC and 503 and Rollei 6008 and hardly use them ever. This is not to say each and every Contax 645 lenses are superior than the rest, but certainly they are at least as good, and with a MAM-1 adapter, all the V lenses (FE, CF, CFi,CFE) all can be used on Contax 645.
The AF speed is very aqcceptable for me, lens build quality is excellent, I have never had any problem of the body or lenses for close to 10 years. The Contax 645 body looks smart, layout is excellent, quick to operate. View finder is very good, mechanism feel is good, I am using it with P45 as my primary tool.  
The flash sync is the only thing the Contax is not on top, I sometime found it is not fast enough in outdoor fill flash situation or sometime for certain studio shot I need to freeze the motion - but this can be helped from studio flash. For general photography or landscape, it goes from 1/4000th - B, something leaf-shutter system fell short. There is no perfect system, I would say Contax comes in as among the closest one.
Go for it!

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 07:09:45 am »

Hi Jeff,

If you read the post below about P25+ vs P30+ you will see that i have just ordered the P30+ and at the same time have changed from Hass 'V' fitting to Contax. Having had the Contax in the past for film and loving the system, as well as changing to a rectangular format P30+ chip from  the square P20 it made a lot of sense to go Contax, even though i have shot the Hassy for last 25 years.

With the P20 i was happy shooting square as it felt right in the Blad, however i am not so sure with the P30+. Along with the format and viewfinder issues the Contax is certainly more seemless, and the Contax lenses have a certain look at wider apertures that i am very happy to get back!

I have no reservations about the change, i shoot 99% daylight so flash isn't an issue, the viewfinder is a joy albeit slightly less bright than the Hassy, and the ability to shoot more freely handheld will be a big plus.

Gary.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:14:07 am by Gary Yeowell »

jeff_singer

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:17:49 am »

I just received my Contax. I was quite surprised (disappointed) to see that when compared to the Hasselblad with  the 80mm F2.8 attached, the Contax with the 80 F2.0 attached was much darker... I was expecting this to be a positive in the Cotax side since the lens is faster.  The smaller magnification i was expecting, but it is quite drastic.  And, I was surprised again to see that my 1DSII viewfinder is the same size/magnification... I was expecting it to be at least a bit bigger.

I will say that I like the focusing on the Contax lenses better and it seems like its easier to get the subject to snap into focus.  I'm sure that the faster lens helps a bit since the OOF areas are even more OOF with the Contax.

Unfortunately I won't be able to use it with my back until I get my P25+ upgrade in a contax mount.... I guess I'm going to have to shoot some film to try out the camera over the next few weeks.

Jeff

doncody

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:40:31 am »

I just received my Contax. I was quite surprised (disappointed) to see that when compared to the Hasselblad with  the 80mm F2.8 attached, the Contax with the 80 F2.0 attached was much darker... I was expecting this to be a positive in the Cotax side since the lens is faster.  The smaller magnification i was expecting, but it is quite drastic.  And, I was surprised again to see that my 1DSII viewfinder is the same size/magnification... I was expecting it to be at least a bit bigger.

I will say that I like the focusing on the Contax lenses better and it seems like its easier to get the subject to snap into focus.  I'm sure that the faster lens helps a bit since the OOF areas are even more OOF with the Contax.

Unfortunately I won't be able to use it with my back until I get my P25+ upgrade in a contax mount.... I guess I'm going to have to shoot some film to try out the camera over the next few weeks.

Jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff,  When purchasing my first MF about 5 years ago I looked at the Contax and my reaction was as yours, and I opted for a Rollei 6001 which I loved and unfortunately had to give up.  Next came a 503cw which I also loved and had to give up.  Now I am in a position to go digital and am reconsidering the Contax as well as Rollei or Hassy (maybe HY6,or new Pentax?).  It's possible that I just favor the WLF over a prism.  WLFs are available for the Contax and I have also read that there are several screens (Beattie,Maxwell) which can help with the brightness issue. I'll be interested in your final verdict.

Mort54

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 12:31:02 pm »

I just received my Contax.....

Jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff, the main concern I have for the Contax 645 is the availability of servicing if something should break. What's your understanding of service support? Are you relying on the store you bought it from to service it? Is there still a U.S. service center? Is there a committment by the previous manufacturer for continued supply of spare parts?

I hear the Contax is very reliable, but anything can break. I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on this matter from you and from others on the forum.

Hans.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

RicAgu

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 12:39:27 pm »

Jeff,

You may want to look into these focusing screens.  I had them made for an RZ with the P25 guide lines and they are amazing!  Three times as bright.  Great to deal with and quick turn around.

http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html

Best of luck

R

Khun_K

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 12:57:32 pm »

Jeff, the main concern I have for the Contax 645 is the availability of servicing if something should break. What's your understanding of service support? Are you relying on the store you bought it from to service it? Is there still a U.S. service center? Is there a committment by the previous manufacturer for continued supply of spare parts?

I hear the Contax is very reliable, but anything can break. I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on this matter from you and from others on the forum.

Hans.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is said the Contax pro line will be serviced for 10 years from the time Kyocera announced to stop the line. May be officially there are still some years left. The problem is that my experience with Contax repair service was not very good, I have my RTSIII sent for repair and never got it fixed, but that was years ago in Thailand and Hong Kong. Anyway, the Contax 645 seemed to be among the best peice of camera Kyocera produced, I was scared when Kyocera put out the bad news so I bought extra 2 bodies, and till today I am still using the very first Contax 645 I bought shortly after it came out the market, never failed. I have run my Contax heavily, sometime going on 400-500 shots a day with digital back, and it just kept going on.

jeff_singer

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 04:37:23 pm »

The 80mm f2 lens that came with my kit slips.  It seems to slip between the 1m-1.7m distance on the len's scale.  It doesn't always slip... just on occasion (enough to be annoying) and it seems like it slips most easily when the camera is tilted down.

This doesn't seem normal to me, but its the only Contax lens I have.  I'm getting a 45mm today and will see what happens with that one.  But, I'm going to go out on a limb and say its not normal.  When it slips, it feels the same as when you get to the end of the focus (near or infinity) and keep rotating the focus knob... you get resistance and it sounds like you are forcing the AF motor (???).

I have the camera set to manual focus.

The kit was a used kit, but it is in perfect condition and wasn't used much.

Jeff

jeff_singer

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 06:48:39 pm »

Well I just received a 45mm lens to test and this one doesn't do what I described above.  Also, I took the 80mm off the body and turned the focus knob and it does the same thing off the camera as when it is on.  Also, I noticed, it only slips when focusing to the right (min to infinity).

Errrrrr, bad lens I guess.

Jeff

Mort54

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 12:07:52 pm »

The Contax 645 certainly interests me, but I have three big questions:

1. Where do you send your Contax 645 when it needs servicing? I'm in the U.S., so I'm mostly interested in U.S. service solutions. I don't have much confidence in store-based servicing.

2. Can you still find a new Contax 645 anywhere? Is there anyone out there with any new ones sitting on the shelf?

3. While the bodies have been discontinued, I heard some time ago that the lenses were still in production. But I haven't been able to confirm that recently. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Hans.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 02:15:26 pm »

i like very much the contax i bought some months before: the handling, functionality and the lenses are excellent. i have 5 lenses now and each one is good. also i have a zoerk adapter for my hassy lenses.
the mirrorslap is soft, esp. after i damped the mirror a little bit more ( which is easy to do ).
it allows now with the 80mm lense handheld shots with 1/60 and with much concentration even 1/30 sec.
it works without any cable with the emotion backs,- i am really very happy with the system.
i bought it cause several people here in LL talked so much about that camera, before i did never pay any attention to contax. the price for the body with prisma, wl-finder, batterygrip, 35/45/80/140/210 mm lenses and the zoerk adapter for hassy lenses was all together around 6500$.

no exact  idea about prices from hassy, hy6/avi or 6008 for a similar quantity of gear, but i suppose there would not be a way to get the same even paying three times more.
so the contax was a  way for me to save money without any compromise,  it does everything i expect from a mf camera and it does it very good.

if it would break? i think i would go for a second body, there are many for reasonable prices around, but i am not afraid about that, i listened so much from people as khun_k who used his contax for years without any problems.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

william

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 02:47:48 pm »

How did you accomplish the mirror damping?

i like very much the contax i bought some months before: the handling, functionality and the lenses are excellent. i have 5 lenses now and each one is good. also i have a zoerk adapter for my hassy lenses.
the mirrorslap is soft, esp. after i damped the mirror a little bit more ( which is easy to do ).
it allows now with the 80mm lense handheld shots with 1/60 and with much concentration even 1/30 sec.
it works without any cable with the emotion backs,- i am really very happy with the system.
i bought it cause several people here in LL talked so much about that camera, before i did never pay any attention to contax. the price for the body with prisma, wl-finder, batterygrip, 35/45/80/140/210 mm lenses and the zoerk adapter for hassy lenses was all together around 6500$.

no exact  idea about prices from hassy, hy6/avi or 6008 for a similar quantity of gear, but i suppose there would not be a way to get the same even paying three times more.
so the contax was a  way for me to save money without any compromise,  it does everything i expect from a mf camera and it does it very good.

if it would break? i think i would go for a second body, there are many for reasonable prices around, but i am not afraid about that, i listened so much from people as khun_k who used his contax for years without any problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

vgogolak

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 04:18:38 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Simple, set on 2 sec timer!

I am really surprised at comments about Contax being dark. Now, I do have the Bill Maxwell brightened finder glass, but I found the original quite good.

I have not owned, but borrowed and held the hasselblad and it was clumsy and vignetted etc.
The WLF of the Contax is far better
The prism finder is really bright and big - I have never heard your reatcion, but I will take at face value.

Many are using Contax and I don't think we are all crazy. The brightening of the finder will get you two stops. Try it/ Costs under hundred dollars
As for the lens, I use the 80mm f2 as my walk around and it is an incredible combination with the P25 (that I had before 45.) With 45 I see no lens limits

For my hassy lenses (30, 40 IF, 50's 180, 500) I have focus comfim.
I have two bodies, film backs, holders most lenses and have not had a single fail in 4 years.

Stick with it. You will like it!

Regards
Victor
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 04:22:45 pm by vgogolak »

rainer_v

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 06:56:12 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i put some layers of black textil tape to the upper zone where the mirror hits the mirrorbox to damp the mirror impact more than the factory cellular material already does. i gain one stop with it and the mirror is significant more silent as he already is. easy little tuning job .....
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

william

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 08:01:51 pm »

Interesting.  Thanks!

i put some layers of black textil tape to the upper zone where the mirror hits the mirrorbox to damp the mirror impact more than the factory cellular material already does. i gain one stop with it and the mirror is significant more silent as he already is. easy little tuning job .....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James Russell

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 08:02:58 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ranier,

You and rethmeier need to change you log ins because you guys are  confusing me.

You can be SinarMan and that way rethmeier can keep his, or something like that.

JR

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 08:08:58 pm »

James,
I'm happy to be called Willem!  

I'm not sure how to change my login name?

N.B I enjoy your comments and post!

Where do you get the time?

Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

rainer_v

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 03:34:11 am »

jemas,
who is ranier?