Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Sampler?  (Read 6352 times)

Dinarius

Color Sampler?
« on: February 10, 2007, 12:55:34 pm »

I use a Gretag CC all the time.

In ACR, I take samples (9 are possible) of the entire bottom row of patches (the grey scales) and red, green and blue.

I then adjust these values, a la Bruce Fraser, in the Adjust and Calibrate tabs, to correct to my liking.

Can I do the same in Lightroom?

The color picker gives me readings in percentages. Can I change this to RGB?

Thanks.

D.

61Dynamic

• http://
Color Sampler?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 07:23:23 pm »

Unfortunately there is no color sampler in LR. If you are doing calibrations however, LR uses ACR for raw processing so you can calibrate in Bridge and bring those results over to LR.

The RGB values can't be changed to the 8-bit scale. Adobe's reasoning being the percentage scale is more human readable and when dealing with a raw file, the 8-bit numbers are arbitrary anyway since raw files are 12/14bpc. After a while you'll get used to it. Personally I like percentages better but wish they would also appear in CS3.

Dinarius

Color Sampler?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:42:30 am »

Daniel,

Many thanks.

That's a deal breaker for me in that case.

Using the colour sampler in ACR (combined with the Adjust and Calibrate tabs), I can get the bottom two rows of the Gretag CC to almost their exact 16bit (in my case) values. A final tweak using Curves and Hue/Sat in CS2 completes the job.

In fact, if ACR had the same fully speced H/S as CS2, as in a Lightness channel and a drop down menu containing ALL of the colours in the third row of the CC, then I wouldn't need CS2 at all for colour correction.

I shoot mostly fine art for museum catalogue reproduction. Digital has given me colour I could never have dreamt of using film. More importantly, it has given me colour control I never had.

While I would happily seek out the % equivalents of the 16bit values I am aiming for, not being able to sample them on the CC is a seriously retrograde step for me. Useless, in fact.

As things stand, CS2 is half baked in that it permits only 4 samples (compared with nine in ACR), while ACR has a half baked H/S feature.

But, Lightroom, from my perspective, is a serious dumbing down. As the late lamented Fraser wrote (and I'm paraphrasing), "...if you know the numebers you're aiming for, you can correct on a black and white monitor." I'm pretty much at the point with ACR. LR doesn't even come close.

I, for one, won't be buying it.

Thanks again for your help.

D.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Color Sampler?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 04:34:21 pm »

So when ACR 4 is out, you'll have 100% parity with LR. Use ACR to sample and build the calibration and enter that in LR.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Dinarius

Color Sampler?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 03:06:49 am »

So when ACR 4 is out, you'll have 100% parity with LR. Use ACR to sample and build the calibration and enter that in LR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100538\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Please elaborate.

Are you saying that ACR 4 will have the superb HSL that they've given LR? If so, that is all I would need!

Exporting from ACR to LR is all very well. The problem is, the Calibration tab in ACR is half-baked. Currrently, I have to do final tweaks in CS2 because of this. It would be nice to have an application that is the finished article.

CS2: Permits only four samples and anything you do in it is *post* conversion, thereby not benefitting from the non-destructive potential of pre-conversion editing.

ACR: Totally inadequate HSL.

LR: No colour sampler.

I wish they'd get one of them right! ;-)

D.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Color Sampler?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:11:18 am »

Yes, ACR 3.7 (which is available now as part of the public CS3 beta) and more so 4.0 will have identical options for rendering as LR. You'll have your HLS sliders.

Dinarius

Color Sampler?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 12:26:18 pm »

Yes, ACR 3.7 (which is available now as part of the public CS3 beta) and more so 4.0 will have identical options for rendering as LR. You'll have your HLS sliders.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent!

Now all I need is a 5x5 sample option in ACR's colour sampler - better still 10x10!

Many thanks.

D.

Dinarius

Color Sampler?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:07:45 am »

I have downloaded the CS3 (with ACR4) beta and I've been experimenting on a Gretag CC with ACR 4.

In principle, I like it. ACR now has pretty much all that is required to do pre-conversion, non-destructive editing. Nice!

A few observations.......

1. As far as I know, ACR's colour sampler takes 1x1 samples. It would be nice to be able to take 5x5 or 10x10 samples. It is too easy to sample specular dust on a colour checker, for exapmle.

2. The crucial HSL addition is laid out in the form of three tabbed windows. The Lightroom layout, where you don't have to click between tabs, is slightly more user friendly.

3. A bit more puzzling is the following, and I'd be grateful if someone could provide an answer:

CS, CS2, now CS3 and Lightroom all share the following six HSL channels: Reds, Yellows, Greens, Cyans, Blues and Magentas. i.e. The third row of a Gretag CC.

In ACR4, Adobe have opted for eight channels. Orange, purple and aqua have been added, while Cyan has been dropped.

1. Am I correct in assuming that the orange and purple channels would be comparable to those on row 2 of a CC?

2. What is aqua? Is it comparable to cyan?

Many thanks.

D.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Color Sampler?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 09:17:58 am »

The Sampler's are based on zoom ratio in ACR (5 x 5 pixels always sampled at 1:1). LR zoom factor doesn't matter unlike in ACR

seanmcfoto

Color Sampler?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 11:37:08 pm »

I have downloaded the CS3 (with ACR4) beta and I've been experimenting on a Gretag CC with ACR 4.

In principle, I like it. ACR now has pretty much all that is required to do pre-conversion, non-destructive editing. Nice!

A few observations.......

1. As far as I know, ACR's colour sampler takes 1x1 samples. It would be nice to be able to take 5x5 or 10x10 samples. It is too easy to sample specular dust on a colour checker, for exapmle.

2. The crucial HSL addition is laid out in the form of three tabbed windows. The Lightroom layout, where you don't have to click between tabs, is slightly more user friendly.

3. A bit more puzzling is the following, and I'd be grateful if someone could provide an answer:

CS, CS2, now CS3 and Lightroom all share the following six HSL channels: Reds, Yellows, Greens, Cyans, Blues and Magentas. i.e. The third row of a Gretag CC.

In ACR4, Adobe have opted for eight channels. Orange, purple and aqua have been added, while Cyan has been dropped.

1. Am I correct in assuming that the orange and purple channels would be comparable to those on row 2 of a CC?

2. What is aqua? Is it comparable to cyan?

Many thanks.

D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
D,
I recall a comment that Cyan was renamed to Aqua to aid understanding in 'ordinary folk'. It's around the 15 minute mark in Podcast 24 (search for Lightroom in the iTunes Music Store).
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

Dinarius

Color Sampler?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 04:47:21 am »

D,
I recall a comment that Cyan was renamed to Aqua to aid understanding in 'ordinary folk'. It's around the 15 minute mark in Podcast 24 (search for Lightroom in the iTunes Music Store).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101000\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

S,

Got it. Thanks.

Will be interesting to see if Xrite/Gretag rename that patch! ;-)

D
Pages: [1]   Go Up