Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back and Large format camera  (Read 4697 times)

ngophotographer

Digital back and Large format camera
« on: January 30, 2007, 05:55:56 pm »

I have a few questions to those who are actively using or have used a non-scanning digital back (Phase One, Leaf, Imacon/Hassy) with a large format camera.

1) Type of camera—field, monorail, etc.
Have you experiened any camera shake issues?  Solutions?

2) Depth-of-field, how does it compare to similar focal length on a MF camera?
I’m concerned more with increased depth of field; do you see an improvement when using f/32+ w/tilt & swings or are you experiencing diffraction and/or lens issues that result in a comparable image?

3) Which adapter are you using (Kapture Group, Linhof, Phase One, etc.)?

4) What are you using for focusing? Which ground glass/where?

Currently, I am using a P-series back with medium format lenses and I need greater depth of field in the 105-210mm range.

I could always shoot in 4x5 and scan.  However, I’d like to get a sense from those who are using a digital back w/LF of how well it is working, especially before investing in the adapters, etc.

If you have actual examples that you are willing to share, I would appreciate that.  Thanks for taking the time.

Best regards,

Rich
NGOphotographer

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 07:59:37 am »

1) Type of camera—field, monorail, etc.
Have you experiened any camera shake issues?  Solutions?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98385\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use a linhof M679CS, it is super sturdy and I experience no camera shake. It is mounted on a Gitzo 1504, and I use Copal 0 shutter. The standards are very ridgid, even when a sliding adapter, digital camera back and some chords for tethered shooting are attatched.

2) Depth-of-field, how does it compare to similar focal length on a MF camera?
I’m concerned more with increased depth of field; do you see an improvement when using f/32+ w/tilt & swings or are you experiencing diffraction and/or lens issues that result in a comparable image?
I experience that the depth of field is similar in most aspects to that of the H-system optics for similar focal lengths (my frame of reference.) The lens charactheristics for the Schneider Digitar lenses that I use are different though, you can clearly see what lens has been used if shot side by side. The best explanation I can give is that the H-system optics look overly "super sharp" and neutral, while the Schneider optics look more like older optics with smoother gradations (all this is highly subjective though and my personal opinion.) I do find diffraction to be a problem, and rarely shoot above f.16, maybe 22 sometimes. The digitar are however optimised for shooting at larger apertures, contrary to older LF lens designs. (I'm getting a 38 super angulon "non digitar" any moment, so ill get to check on this at a later date...)

3) Which adapter are you using (Kapture Group, Linhof, Phase One, etc.)?
I use Linhofs original sliding adapter, it works well, and does not "flick(?)" to much dust onto the sensor when sliding.

4) What are you using for focusing? Which ground glass/where?
I use the supplied ground glass together with a loupe, it sits in the sliding adapter and has markings for both the reduced MFDB frame, as well as the stitched frame size. I find focusing hard on the camera as compared to a SLR type, but not so hard that it is not doable with exellent results.

Currently, I am using a P-series back with medium format lenses and I need greater depth of field in the 105-210mm range.
The tilt and swings help with depth of field in the sense that you can place the focal plane more or  less as you wish. Yet in some cases it is not enough and i stop down a lot while suffering from diffraction. The images are notably softer when doing this.

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

ngophotographer

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:41:23 am »

Axel:

Thanks for taking the time for a detailed reply.  These are exactly the type of experiences I'm looking for.  Thanks for the "lens look" opinions.

Have you used "standard"/non-digital Rodenstock/Sinars or Schneiders per chance?  Would be interested in any observations.

In the near future, I'm planning to experiment with my field camera (Ebony), but want to have some ideas of how others are fairing before purchasing the adapters.

Thanks again for your reply!

Kindest regards,

Rich
NGOphotographer

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:05:54 am »

I use a Phase One P25 on a Linhof M679cs, both with direct attachment of the back and with the Linhof sliding carriage. I use mainly Rodenstock Digital Apo-Sironar lenses from 35mm to 180mm.

One of the main issues I've found is that the degree of precision required when working with a tiny 37mm x 49mm sensor as against a large 4x5 film sheet is beyond most film based LF cameras. I know a few photographers who have simply attached a back to whatever LF camera they happened to use and then were dissapointed at the results.

IMO optimum results demand precision gearing for all camera movements and an exceptionally rigid chassis. In particular you need a very rigid rear standard because attaching and detaching a digital back is a far more aggressive action than just slotting in a film holder. The geared Arca Swiss 6x9 has a good reputation, as does the Linhof M679, but beyond this I'd recommend caution.

ngophotographer

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:06:51 pm »

Thanks Gary!

Good point about the focusing precision.  I sort of have taken the focusing aspect for granted with my MF current lenses.

I'm not sure if my Ebony has a fine enough focusing rail, another thing to look at!

Thanks again, this is what I need to learn.

Kindest regards,

Rich
NGOphotographer
Pages: [1]   Go Up