Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Profiles for 3800  (Read 3119 times)

dmccombs

Need Profiles for 3800
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:19:17 am »

I have recently bought an Epson 3800 printer and need to get a few custom profiles for some of the Hahnemuhle papers.

I am in the US.  Who do you think I should get to make these profiles?  I have heard about Cathy's Profiles and InkjetArt.com, and I am sure there are several others making custom profiles.

Who would you recommend?

Thanks,
Darrell
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:39:13 am by dmccombs »

GregW

• http://
Need Profiles for 3800
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:54:06 am »

I have recently bought an Epson 3800 printer and need to get a few custom profiles for some of the Hahnemuhle papers.

I am in the US.  Who do you think I should get to make these profiles?  I have heard about Cathy's Profiles and InkjetArt.com, and I am sure there are several others making custom profiles.

Who would you recommend?

Thanks,
Darrell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does that mean you are not happy with the Hahnemühle supplied profiles on the 3800 or are you a perfectionist?.  I've just picked up a sample pack to try with my 3800, hence the question.

dmccombs

Need Profiles for 3800
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:41 pm »

Greg,

I don't think I am a perfectionist, but I do sell my work and expect the $1300 printer to make great looking prints.

I am used to making glossy prints and understand the matte prints will look different.  I see matte prints at the gallery that other photographers do, so I know how they should end up.

With Glossy, Luster, Semigloss, prints made on Epson and IJA papers I have got great results with the supplied drivers and suggested settings.

With Enhanced Matte, Crane Museo, and a few other Matte and Fine Art papers I gotten very good results with the supplied drivers and suggested settings.  the dmax is lower than I am used to and blacks aren't as deep, but they are within the expected range for those paper types.

With the Hahn papers I am getting results that I am less happy with.  In general, the prints are lower in contrast and the shadows are muddied.  If I boost the contrast and add a little brightness (and cut Yellow), this helps on some images, but I blow highlights on some images.

When I make Hahn FineArt Pearl prints, I use the recommended settings (Perceptual with BPC OFF).  But the print look like they are printed with Relative with BPC ON (when compapred with the proof using these settings).

In short, I think the profiles for the Hahn Photo Rag and Photo Rag Bright are ok, but not great.  And I think the profile for the Hahn FineArt Pearl is poor.

I hear others that have good luck with these same profiles so I am at a loss to explain the differences I am seeing.  I don't think I am pickier than most of the people here.  My printer could be out of spec, but the glossy/Luster prints look great.  I could be doing something wrong, but I am using the same settings as others.

So, I am hoping that custom profiles will make the prints better.

Regards,
Darrell

Does that mean you are not happy with the Hahnemühle supplied profiles on the 3800 or are you a perfectionist?.  I've just picked up a sample pack to try with my 3800, hence the question.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
Need Profiles for 3800
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:02:32 pm »

<snip>
    So, I am hoping that custom profiles will make the prints better.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Darrell,

They WILL make a world of difference and should allow you to maximize the gamut and tonal quality available from your printer.  IMHO, Andrew Rodney at [a href=\"http://www.digitaldog.net]www.digitaldog.net[/url] makes  top quality profiles that are worth ever penny.

Good Luck,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

henk

Need Profiles for 3800
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 04:50:53 pm »

Hi,
I am also having problems with the matte papers – Epson EM- with the 3800. I printed all color prints on EEM over the last  2 to 3 years on my, now un repairable 2100, and never had a problem in deep shadows, using the USA Epson provided profiles.
Using the supplied profiles -38pro EM- I get big problems in the deep shadow details and certainly in the deep dark brown shadows off dark kin. It puts a dark grey cast over the area. When I turn on Gamut warning, there seems no problem. When I tweak the image in soft proof, no results. The dark greys keep covering the problem area’s.  I am working on this problem now for 24 hours and have not yet come to a solution. A home made profile with print fix pro off Colorvision did not solve the problem. Heeeeeeeeeeelp.
I have this printer now since early December and printed mainly B&W on Ilford Smooth pearl with very satisfying results. Great Dmax 2.43 !!

Henk

GregW

• http://
Need Profiles for 3800
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:58:29 pm »

Thanks for the detaild response Darrell.  I'll follow your progress closely as you seem to be a couple of steps along the curve from me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up