Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Macro Lenses  (Read 2628 times)

Manju

Canon Macro Lenses
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:40:26 pm »

[attachment=1314:attachment]
New Student, want to learn still product photography, I am thinking of purchasing the Canon  EOS Rebel XTi but am confused about lenses.
Which lensed are good for Macro shots.

some of the cameras come with 18-55mm lenses or 18-85mm
is this a good option to buy these lenses to start as a basic package?
will they work for as good macro product shots?

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
Canon Macro Lenses
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:09:48 pm »

[attachment=1314:attachment]
New Student, want to learn still product photography, I am thinking of purchasing the Canon  EOS Rebel XTi but am confused about lenses.
Which lensed are good for Macro shots.

some of the cameras come with 18-55mm lenses or 18-85mm
is this a good option to buy these lenses to start as a basic package?
will they work for as good macro product shots?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89473\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would get the zoom lens that comes with the camera, because you can use it as a walk around lens for other applications, but for high quality macro shots I would add the Canon 100mm macro.
It's an excellent lens.

dobson

• http://
Canon Macro Lenses
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:26:49 pm »

There are several models of macro lenses for a canon body. (true macro lenses have a 1:1 magnification ratio; an object projects an image to the sensor the same size as the object in real life). Canon's macro lenses include the 100mm, the 180mm, and the 60mm EF-S; (the 50mm is not a "true macro", having only a 1:2 ratio). Image quality on all of these lenses is very good, the main operational difference being focal length and therefore working distance.

The lenses mentioned above are all capable of focusing to infinity, so they will work for portraits, etc. I have excluded the specialized MP-e 65mm, because the minimun magnification is 1:1, and would probably not be useful for product photography.

There are also ways of using your existing lenses for macro photography. They function by reducing the minimum focusing distance of the lens. Because of this, all of these methods give up infinity focus ability. One method is to use close-up filters that screw onto the front of the lens and act as magnifying lenses; this works best for longer focal lengths. Optical quality is usually poor, due to the fact that you are putting a fairly cheap piece of glass in front of your lens. Another common method is to use extension tubes or bellows. These are simply hollow tubes that sit between the lens and the camera. Extension tubes move the lens away from the sensor, moving the focal point closer to the camera. Since tubes have no glass, any optical abberations are from the lens and they are generally superior to filters.

There are many options for macro photography, a little bit of research will yield a lot of info

Phillip

stever

Canon Macro Lenses
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 07:35:13 pm »

i would not recommend the kit lens because of it's poor quality which will become very noticeable in photos of objects with straight lines, hard edges and solid colors

what you don't mention is what size "products"

all-round, the 60mm -s is a good choice, but for smaller objects, greater working distance the 100 is excellent  -- i don't know if the 60 is internal focusing, but the 100 is which makes it a very fast working lens without fiddling with focus rails

i don't know how widely it's used, but Helicon Focus should really change the possibilities for product shots
Pages: [1]   Go Up