Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Pentax  (Read 10907 times)

DarkPenguin

New Pentax
« on: September 12, 2006, 05:24:12 pm »

Anyone else see the Steve's Digicam's breaking news page before it was pulled down?

( http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/S...K10DRelease.pdf )

Looks pretty seriously cool.

tjanik

New Pentax
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 06:41:31 pm »

Anyone else see the Steve's Digicam's breaking news page before it was pulled down?

( http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRShots/S...K10DRelease.pdf )

Looks pretty seriously cool.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76142\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If that announcement is accurate and not a spoof, it would certainly put Pentax back in the mix.  Interestingly, B&H already lists the K10D, but "out of stock".

DarkPenguin

New Pentax
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:35:36 pm »

$900 for that camera.  And they seem to be the only vendor that is coughing up shiny new dx primes.

Jay Kaplan

New Pentax
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:10:54 pm »

Interesting, I believe that all my M42 screw mount prime lenses would work with this camera. At the price point indicated, it would make for very viable option. The weather sealing is a very attractive feature.

Specifications aside, I wonder how it compares to its contemporaries in the real world?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
New Pentax
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:43:26 pm »

I wish they'd come up with something like that about three years ago, before I started selling all of my Pentax bodies (35mm and 6x7) and many lenses and joined the Canon camp. I got wonderful results from a variety of Pentaxes for over forty years.    

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tsjanik

New Pentax
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 02:11:19 pm »

An official verification:  http://www.pentax.ca/digital/digital_slr/k10d/index.php

I suppose this means inexpensive used Pentax lenses will no longer be available.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
New Pentax
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 03:44:54 pm »

Hooray. The more competition the better for consumers. Although I'm heavily committed to Minolta glass, so my next purchase will be a Sony (gulp). Still this news will breathe more life into the APS-C format. It's interesting to see the shift to SD for storage. But it looks like Minolta left the feild too quickly given that many of its innovations (anti-shake, eye-start) are taking hold with other manufacturers. I'll bet Pentax' use of weather seals in a "entry-level" DSLR will get traction as well.

David R. Gurtcheff

New Pentax
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 04:52:52 pm »

Hooray. The more competition the better for consumers. Although I'm heavily committed to Minolta glass, so my next purchase will be a Sony (gulp). Still this news will breathe more life into the APS-C format. It's interesting to see the shift to SD for storage. But it looks like Minolta left the feild too quickly given that many of its innovations (anti-shake, eye-start) are taking hold with other manufacturers. I'll bet Pentax' use of weather seals in a "entry-level" DSLR will get traction as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76246\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use Canon DSLR equipment, but have some wonderfull Pentax M42 primes gathering dust: 24mm, 28mm and 50mm f1.4, as well as two very old semi-auto Takumars: the 105mm f2.8, and 35mm f2.4 lenses. I assume these would work with the proper Pentax adapter?  

Regards
Dave

tjanik

New Pentax
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 08:54:38 pm »

A preview of the K10D has appeared: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/

To borrow a modified phrase from MR's review of the Pentax D, " Pentax appears to have hit a grand slam".  Ok, perhaps a hyperbole, but it's nice to see another player in the game.

macgyver

New Pentax
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 12:17:59 am »

Seriously, when is canon going to get their crap together and put wealther sealing in non 1 series bodies.

This is the sort of camera that i would buy if i didnt have a glass comitment.

How many of the pentax lenses are sealed?

DarkPenguin

New Pentax
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 12:32:53 am »

I've never understood why people care about weather sealing.  I've used my 20 in pouring rain without a failure.  What does weather sealing actually win me?

Eric Myrvaagnes

New Pentax
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 10:57:23 am »

I've never understood why people care about weather sealing. I've used my 20 in pouring rain without a failure. What does weather sealing actually win me?

I used my Canon 10D on a longish day hike in off-and-on heavy rain in the Canadian Rockies, with a plastic bag for partial protection, and after about two hours the batteries shorted out, ending photography for the day. Fortunately, it all dried out in the cabin near the fireplace that night and suffered no permanent damage. But I would sorely like to have been able to use it for the rest of the hike.

By contrast, I used many Pentaxes (35mm through 6x7) for some forty years, in all kinds of weather, and never had a failure of any sort. If I didn't have so much invested in Canon now (10 D, 5D, 3 L-lenses, other assorted stuff), and if I still had some of my old Pentax lenses, I would jump for the new Pentax K10D in a minute.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tsjanik

New Pentax
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 01:50:11 pm »

If I didn't have so much invested in Canon now (10 D, 5D, 3 L-lenses, other assorted stuff), and if I still had some of my old Pentax lenses, I would jump for the new Pentax K10D in a minute.

-Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76327\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eric:

Given Canon’s market dominance right now, you could likely sell your Canon stuff, buy a K10D and a few limited lenses and have cash leftover, if you really wanted to.  I might wait for some published photos myself; the image quality promises to be good but is an unknown quantity at the moment.

jani

• Øyet
New Pentax
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 03:14:24 pm »

I've never understood why people care about weather sealing.  I've used my 20 in pouring rain without a failure.  What does weather sealing actually win me?
Protection against corrosion and short-circuiting due to a combination of crud and water.

Remember, the 20D is mainly an electronic device, not a mechanical one.
Jan

Ben Rubinstein

New Pentax
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 04:34:22 pm »

There is a post on the canon forum of FM at the moment about someone who killed his 20D by letting it get wet then even managed to kill a 1D mkII through too much rain.

To much insurance is never a bad thing is it?

Andrew Larkin

New Pentax
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 04:40:46 pm »

For a moment, I was getting all excited:

"Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion.
The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2 million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional 12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters. "

*This* was seriously interesting!

And then, from the specifications page:

"Colour Depth:  8 bit (JPEG) or 12 bit (RAW) "

I mean, is anyone else just a little bit gob-smacked by the notion of building a new A/D converter that gives us some serious bit depth per channel and then you THROW THE BITS AWAY and bring the image back down to precisely the same level as all your competition?  What is wrong with these people?

Seems to me that they might have created a monster that couldn't handle.  Having the increased bit-depth per channel is fabulous from an image quality angle, but would be shear hell from the point of file size.  Not only would 22-bit per channel raw images need more storage, they would need vastly more storage as it is much harder to lossless compress these puppies.

Andrew

Olivier_G

New Pentax
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 08:32:33 pm »

Having the increased bit-depth per channel is fabulous from an image quality angle
Precision is not only a question of bit depth. If your analog device (sensor) is not able to mesure a Signal with a better precision than Noise, there is little advantage to sample with more accuracy. For example 10IL of Dynamic Range (as defined by Saturation/Read Noise) is quite well handled with usual 12 bit depth ADC.

So... I am not too sure about the advantages of that 22 bits ADC...  

Olivier

Andrew Larkin

New Pentax
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 06:03:57 pm »

Precision is not only a question of bit depth. If your analog device (sensor) is not able to mesure a Signal with a better precision than Noise, there is little advantage to sample with more accuracy. For example 10IL of Dynamic Range (as defined by Saturation/Read Noise) is quite well handled with usual 12 bit depth ADC.

So... I am not too sure about the advantages of that 22 bits ADC...   

Olivier
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Not sure what you mean by "For example 10IL of Dynamic Range (as defined by Saturation/Read Noise)".  What is "10IL"?

Whatever it is, I can tell you that getting a true 16-bit RAW is about the only thing that *might* pry my 5D from my living fingers.

22bit ADC is, in my view, totally over the top as far as bit conversion is concerned.  We are talking about three orders of magnitude beyond the 12-bits I get today.  The least significant bits are going to be swamped by noise from any sensor/amplifier with maybe the exception of some of the super-chilled astro cameras.

But, the more bits you can get off the sensor chip into a PC, the greater is your ability to characterise the noise and cancel or at least reduce it.

So, why are they not producing at least 16-bit raws instead of 12-bit?  This is still 1.5 magnitude improved and is not to be sneezed at by anyone.

It's like putting a speed limiter set at 55mph into a high performance sports car.  Yes, we gave you a six-speed transmission, but we have locked out the top two gears - sorry.  But ain't it great that you get a six-speed gear box?

Some Pentax marketing copywriter has found a bone to gnaw on and has totally failed to notice that it is his own leg.

Andrew

tjanik

New Pentax
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 09:52:52 pm »

22bit ADC is, in my view, totally over the top as far as bit conversion is concerned.  We are talking about three orders of magnitude beyond the 12-bits I get today.  Some Pentax marketing copywriter has found a bone to gnaw on and has totally failed to notice that it is his own leg.

Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Andrew:

Whether the 22 bit ADC is of any real value remains to be seen, but a rough analogy for a similar process:  would you rather convert a 16 or 8 bit TIFF to an  8 bit JPEG?

tsjanik

New Pentax
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 09:21:15 pm »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up