Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coyote Buttes, the "Wave"  (Read 12247 times)

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
Coyote Buttes, the "Wave"
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:48:37 pm »

My sons & I have a permit to visit the Wave near Thanksgiving. As an easterner I have no idea what the weather could be, I know you don't either. But possibly some knowledge of average weather & trail conditions.

Also naturally some photo info would be appreciated. I plan to take a H-blad Superwide & a DSLR w/12-24 Tokina along with a 24-85. Any other ideas? Thanks. Curt

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 03:56:18 pm »

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 04:14:41 pm »

The weather should be fine that time of year for the Wave. I did it in March and even though it was cool and a little damp there was no problem. The hike itself is 5 1/2 miles across sand and slickrock. I didn't find it too difficult but was tired at the end (I'm 62).

That is a very remote spot and you should have good route finding skills. We used a GPS and it worked out perfect. I had a friend go out  a couple of weeks ago and he was very confident in his ability to find his way. He got lost for 1 1/2 hours on the way back.
Be Careful and bring lots of water/Gatorade!

Here's a link to some of my pictures, overcast day.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/p...B-57E4BFA01607}

Those lenses should be perfect. I didn't have a DSLR when I went but would now take my 17-40L. I can't see any reason for a telephoto. Trying to be there for the Golden Hour would be perfect but hiking in dark out there is unappealing to me. LOL

Have fun, that's a special place!

Win
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:18:53 pm by Win »

Jae_Moon

• http://
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 05:52:44 pm »

We used a GPS and it worked out perfect.

Win
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am going in 3 weeks. Do you still have the GPS coordinate reading of the Wave?

Jae Moon

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 06:11:43 pm »

GPS data in the link in my earlier post.

azmike

• http://
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:15:56 am »

Curt,   to your first question about the weather:  expect a November average of 60 for a high, to 28 for low, with about 1 inch of rain for the month, and lots, lots of sunshine. So, take a hat for the sun and layers and use the internet for last minute weather updates (try Kanab, UT).

Trail conditions begin with hiking thru /along the Wire Pass tributary of the Buckskin.....most of the time a dry desert wash....unless there has been a major storm.  Then the trail to the Wave is sand and Navajo sandstone slickrock. Sticky approach shoes/boots. Walking stick (mono-pod). Trail to the Wave from the Wire Pass parking is perhaps 3-1/2 miles and about 2 hours.  The BLM has been sending along with your permit a really great 4-page map "Coyote Buttes North - Finding the Wave" in recent time .  It is all you will need for the Wave.  If your permit did not come with this, get back in touch with the BLM.  With the map finding the Wave shouldn't be a problem.  Take care that going in you take visual "go-back" benchmarks as you'll be leaving at dusk and it's easy to get off trail.  I've done it countless times and I still get a little return-route question.

Suggestions for essential things to take: Fashlights. Shoot the Wave with sunlight, but the rest of Sand Cove is special with the end-of-the-day light, and if you are dedicated you will be walking out in the dark. Need a led head lamp to trail light,  and a 100-yd light like a Surefire G2 to see ahead.  

Extra Preparation:   AAA's "Indian Country Guide Map".....essential for road navigation in the four corners area.  USGS 7-1/2 minute topo's: Coyote Buttes and Poverty Flat.  And if you really want to explore the area: "Hiking and Exploring the Paria River" by Michael Kelsey.

Logistical suggestion.....where are you staying?  Suggest Lees Ferry Lodge at Vermilion Cliffs (1-928-355-2231) as a base camp.  Maggie Sacher runs the lodge and is the focal point for the whole Arizona Strip.  Great nearby photographic stuff.

Photographic suggestions:  the Wave is, well, THE Wave.  And a zillion before you have taken the shot.  So do it. Then climb up 100-yards to the base of the cliff.  Reflecting pools. Then traverse the contour line southward for about a half mile.  Wondeful views down into Sand Cove. Along the way is the "Second Wave."  Take care with the boot-steps as this terribly fragile sandstone needs to be there for those that follow you.

Hope this helps,

Mike Coffey,  Prescott, Arizona

raptorsys

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 07:39:42 pm »

Actually the hiking distance is a bit over 3 miles and not 5.5 miles as stated earlier.  That's each way of course.  In addition to the wave itself there are a number of other things to see near there.  Threre's the second wave, as some call it, a couple hundred yards/metres west of the main wave formations, and then there's the TeePees (sp?) about a mile further south and a bit east.

Brian

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:49:20 pm »

Thanks so much for the info so far.  Please keep it coming.
Curt

camilla

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 08:24:27 am »

Curt
Came back from the Wave. We prefer to stay in Kanab and found it a 45 minute ride to the parking lot. Had a little trouble both days at the wash. It had rained quite a bit that week and even Cottonwood road was closed one day. There is a very clear bypass of the worst part of the wash to the left.
Great printed directions from the Paria station- a step by step kind of directions- - start out early. We started out at 6 a.m. but next time I'll start out earlier. First bit( 15 minutes or so)  is in wash- careful to check those instructions as you have to leave the wash and go up a sandy hill at right. We had to holler to some very fast walking german tourists who continued down wash...
I found the hike quite moderate-I'm 65. Pace yourself. Just follow the instructions and also Laurent Martres' book if you have one. Bring a lot of water, preferably not in bottles or you have to hike the bottles out! A 3 liter bladder from Dick's or somehwre. 2 liter not enough.  I know some guides who have water buried along the way, just in case...

When you get there.. well, I'm Italian so I grew up in a country with the most beautiful churches in the world. Entering the Wave and being surrounded by the breathtaking rock formations was to me akin to entering a cathedral made by God. Quite a feeling- quite unforgettable. The photographs actually became secondary, if you can understand that.. it's happened to me a couple of times in special places in the Southwest....

Enjoy and please let me know if you need anything else.
...if you have the time, consider going to Alstrom Point...

camilla

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 08:26:10 am »

Curt, where in the woods are you if I may ask?

Khurram

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 02:02:37 am »

I just got back from the wave, with the exception of the wind, conitions were ideal, after three trips, there were finally some puddles - but it was far to windy for the entire 7 hours i was out there to get any reflections.  

other then what has already been recommnded, i would advice having a very stable tripod.  I had a gitzo 1228, and am regretting on getting a tripod that light, it really is worth carrying the extra weight for something a little bit more solid.  i would also reiterate having enough water.  first time i went there, i really wished i had brought an extra litre, since my return hike ended up being an extra 1 1/2 hrs due to starting my decent to early.  make sure on your way there, you take a look back at some of the landmarks.  I paid more attention my second time around and had no problems.

otherwise, the hike should be a lot easier at that time of the year.  THe first time i went was in late May, and it was VERY hot.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 03:48:33 pm »

I wonder if anyone has more "Wave" comments.  We are leaving Sat & have permits for Tuesday. The weather looks good from here.

howiesmith

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 04:32:25 pm »

I wonder if anyone has more "Wave" comments.  We are leaving Sat & have permits for Tuesday. The weather looks good from here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pay close attention to the weather.  It may be clear and sunny where you are, but raining upstream of the washes.  You can get flash floods and washouts on good days.

I don't think GPS is really needed.  The route is pretty obvious (no real trail though).  Just dont climb Noth Buttes and don't stray down hill much.  You wil run into the Paria River canyon that you can't cross anyway.  Just stay on the side of the buttes after you cross a sandy ridge just after the wash you started on.  The cut off over the ridge is pretty easy to see, and I think there is a sign in post there.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:37:20 pm by howiesmith »

Win

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 09:20:31 am »

Looks like you're going to have near perfect weather, awesome! Just keep in mind that finding the Wave is pretty easy, coming back is a little more difficult without good landmarks.

Here's a link to a really good site for SW Utah trail beta. Tanya and Bo have done all of us a great service.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes-paria.htm

Have a great time.

Win

photoartguy

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 02:07:59 am »

Wow...this sure is last minute, but I sure hope I can get a permit to hike this with my wife for this coming weekend. I would bring my 4 x 5 Shen Hao, some Velvia 100F as well as my Nikon D80.

After quite a bit of searching, I think the Second Wave might be the subject of my next art piece.  

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 07:42:39 am »

Thanks for all the help about the Wave at Coyote Buttes. I have been there & back.  The November sun is a bit low in the sky for optimun lighting conditions. But what a unusual place it is. Here's some photos.            

http://www.pbase.com/cwphoto/coyote_buttes

raptorsys

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 02:38:04 pm »

Thanks for all the help about the Wave at Coyote Buttes. I have been there & back.  The November sun is a bit low in the sky for optimun lighting conditions. But what a unusual place it is. Here's some photos.             

http://www.pbase.com/cwphoto/coyote_buttes
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Congrats on your trip -- it is an amazing place that you'll find yourself looking forward to going back.

Yep lat November tends towards low sun angles and that might not be ideal but dealing with 100+ degree temps isn't my cup of tea either.

I've just moved to Salt Lake City so I expect to make yearly trips to the area and will explore more of the area beyond the Wave.  I want to hit the Wahweap Hoodoo's next May when the sun is higher (more northerly) than at other times.  This formation even more than the Wave is hard to get fully illuminated so I'm planning on a early May morning there next year.

Brian

Win

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 02:56:38 pm »

Glad you had a good time. I don't care what time of year or sky conditions, it's a beautiful place. I'm going back in Feb. We were at the So Coyote Buttes over Thanksgiving and that was beautiful area ,too. I'll need to go there again as we only spent a couple of hours.

I want to go to the Wahweap Hoodoos, too. You can either hike in or drive a bit closer. The BLM is discouraging the drive and I'll be hard pressed to walk 4 miles each way in a sandy wash! Getting old.  

I did go to the Toadstools over the same weekend and found that by walking around to the left there are some nice white Hoodoos. Don't imagine it's as nice as the Wahweaps, though.

Win
Pages: [1]   Go Up