Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera Review - The Leica X-U  (Read 4271 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
New Camera Review - The Leica X-U
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:49 am »

New Review on the Leica X-U camera.  I just published my review of the Leica X-U Underwater Camera.  This is one tough little camera that is easy to use and delivers good images. I put this camera through its paces and it continued to work flawlessly. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: New Camera Review - The Leica X-U
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:39:23 am »

Given that the camera is basically the Leica X, wouldn't it be cheaper just to get an underwater housing for the times when you want to take the camera to the beach?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:55:09 am »

If it is a Leica it's not about cheaper.  It's about the camera.  Lots of alternatives.  I see this camera as a supplement for those that already own a Leica and want to have a camera that can be taken and used where they wouldn't use their other Leicas. It is a fun camera never the less.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

ysengrain

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 11:16:15 am »

What kind of washing powder do you use with this Leica  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:09:00 pm »

What kind of washing powder do you use with this Leica  ;)

Persil Red Dot.

Rob

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »

What an affectation. $3600! I can get the same results with my old NEX 5 in a $100 Meike housing and have the flash working as well. This camera is for the "show and tell" crowd who like to brag about how much money they can throw around. It adds nothing useful to the photographic armamentarium.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:49:32 pm »

What an affectation. $3600! I can get the same results with my old NEX 5 in a $100 Meike housing and have the flash working as well. This camera is for the "show and tell" crowd who like to brag about how much money they can throw around. It adds nothing useful to the photographic armamentarium.

Yeah, Ken, but does it matter?

If it helps to allow Leica to keep on truckin', then I see no harm with that.

Does it fit LuLa? Of course: all sorts of people come here, all sorts of abilities and tastes, and again, if it helps LuLa carry on, then great. For what it's worth, the value of LuLa seems to me to be more vested in some of those who write here than in what's up for review. Most of the "great" stuff's now well beyond my pocket's sense of reality, and even if it were not, I've been doing this stuff long enough to know that unless there's a financial pay off at the end of your photographic trip, then there's even less point in spending big bucks on snappng equipment. It simply doesn't matter - what matters lies in your head, in your ability to translate mental vision into fact.

Rob C

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 03:58:34 am »

Kevin said it above: it is not about being cheaper, it is about the camera. Leica.

The thing is, with digital cameras, Leica cameras will not keep on ticking forever like a film M. You spend thousands on a Leica camera, but digital is a great equalizer; odds are that your uber-camera will last less than 10 years, and then it is not repairable anymore. This is valid for all digital camera BTW.

In the end, your camera will be in a waste filler, or acting as a paper weight. Sure, if you have money, buy whatever you want.

What I suggested above was, say if you already have a Leica X, why not buy a waterproof housing? If you don't have a Leica X, why not buy it plus the waterproof housing? Kevin forgot to add in his review that this waterproof Leica is a Leica X in tough disguise.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:07:25 am »

odds are that your uber-camera will last less than 10 years, and then it is not repairable anymore. This is valid for all digital camera BTW.

It's interesting, but I've never had a digital camera fail. I've parked them on the shelf, given them away... when I've occasionally taken a retiree off the shelf, charged its battery and tried it out, it has worked just as well as it ever did.

YMMV, of course. Wish the electronics in my car were as reliable...

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:24 am »

It's interesting, but I've never had a digital camera fail. I've parked them on the shelf, given them away... when I've occasionally taken a retiree off the shelf, charged its battery and tried it out, it has worked just as well as it ever did.

YMMV, of course. Wish the electronics in my car were as reliable...

Talking about Leica only, there are reported stories about sensor corrosion in recent M cameras, so... other brands have other problems. I don't know today, but in the film camera days, Canon had spares to repair models up to 10 year old.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:59 am »

Talking about Leica only, there are reported stories about sensor corrosion in recent M cameras, so... other brands have other problems. I don't know today, but in the film camera days, Canon had spares to repair models up to 10 year old.

I have a suspicion that that's a legal requirement within the car industry.

It'll be interesting to see where we are when petrol/diesel cars get banned fom the streets, as seems the future in several countries. I wonder if this is less about fuel choice and environment, but more about causing a logjam where there will not be enough electrical cars to go round, insufficient power points and juice by means of which to charge them, and that that crisis could represent the very wedge by means of which to force people out of the ownership syndrome.

Perhaps cameras could also become hire-by-the hour toys, where what you can rent will be very cheaply available, and governed by your credit limit. Not the model for the existing system of rentals, but a different and far less expensive trick working off volume. It might prove to be an interesting path.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up