Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding contax G2  (Read 3422 times)

eitanwaks

Question regarding contax G2
« on: June 18, 2006, 02:34:02 pm »

Hi,
I would like to know what experience other users have with this camera.  Specifically as a travel camera.  I currently own one of these and I am planning to travel to Brazil for about one half month starting this August.  I also own a Nikon N90s SLR camera with an assortment of lenses.  The reason I want to travel with the rangefinder is because it is much lighter as well as I can go incognito much easier.  Add to that less weight and baggage and the rangefinder seems like a better option.

I have several questions however.
1.  I own the following lenses (28, 45, 90, 35-70).  Which lenses do you think you should take?
2.  Which films would you take if it was you?
3.  How much can I push Provia 400 film?  Provia 100 film?  Velvia 100 film?  Velvia 50 film?  I'm asking this because I will be handholding the camera 99% of the time.

Thanks for all of the comments,
Eitan Waks

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:53 pm »

I travel with rangefinders, not the Contax G series, but they are a smaller and lighter type of camera. The Contax has a very good reputation, but if you get one, shoot five rolls or so to get used to it BEFORE you leave on your trip.

1. As far as lenses, which do you use the most? Take that or those.

2. I use 400 speed films. I do not often travel with a tripod. I also stick to one type of film for continuity. I also shoot negative films as they have a larger exposure latitude and bracketing is not really an issue for me so I can get a lot more out of a roll. But then again, I run my own B&W and color darkroom, so I also can process and print the film myself.

3. I never push film. I don't like the loss of shadow detail nor increased contrast in the highlights. (That is what push processing is - underexposure and over development.) I find 400 speed film lets me shoot in the largest variety of situations. A rangefinder can also work at longer exposure times handheld as it has no mirror.

dazzajl

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 07:10:09 am »

The G2 was made for just this sort of work and will be the perfect photographic companion on your trip. I had the same primes as you and know them to all be excellent. If the zoom still gives you the quality you need then perhaps put that one in with the 28 and 90, all three will probably take up less weight and room than one for the Nikon anyway.

Film is a very personal choice but as has been said, if you shoot negative it is far more forgiving but ultimatley I always feel less satisfying. Although, when you have a have a fabulous print on your wall, will you care if it came from neg or tranny?  

eitanwaks

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 11:57:51 am »

Anon E. Mouse and dazzajl,
thanks for the reply.  I have some follow up questions to your answers.
1.  Regarding lenses: I have not had that much time to use this camera and its lenses.  That is reason that I was asking.  I have used all the primes, that is the 28, 45, 90.  They were spectacular.  I really enjoyed the simplicity in only having to choose the aperture rather than the focal length as well.  The downside is that it takes me quite a while to change lenses.  This isn't something that's going to change because I cannot physically change lenses myself.  I need my helper to do it.  This is because of my handicap (I cannot use my fingers with dexterity).  On the other hand, I've recently purchased a used 35-70 Zoom lens.  I haven't had all that much time to get used to it but the advantages of the multiple focal length is tempting.  I do not like the fact that I miss several apertures on the wide open side.  Also, I've noticed that I use these focal length seldomly.  In other words, what I'm asking is would you give up the comfort of the zoom lens in terms of focal length and simplicity in exchange for better quality (in my view), several more stops in the aperture department, and the hassle of changing lenses?

2.  I'm also deliberating between taking negative film or positive film.  I do not run my own lab however I have a professional lab that I trust developed my film.  I subsequently scanned my film with my Nikon CoolScan 5000.  I'm telling you this so that you know what my workflow is.  I really enjoyed projecting my slides however, the greater exposure latitude of negative film is very tempting.  What type of film do you use?  What suggestions would you have for me?

3.  Thanks for the information.  I haven't really thought about that.  Up until now I have never pushed film.  Therefore, I have no experience with the subject.
Pages: [1]   Go Up