Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 800 print puzzle (color change)  (Read 858 times)

frank.sauer

Epson 800 print puzzle (color change)
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:44:49 pm »

I am currently puzzled about the results from my Epson P800, printed through Lightroom CC 2015.3. At least some of the prints appear notably different from before: greens look yellower and brighter, have less depth. (I am printing on Canson Baryta Photographyque with Lightroom CC 2015.3, using the Canson ICC profile cifa_P800_baryta310_p_bk.icc, and set the printer to Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster.)

Enclosed are some comparative pictures that illustrate the problem.

What did I try:
•   I reinstalled the printer driver - no difference.
•   I kept doing nozzle tests - everything always looked good, no colors missing.
•   I changed the Light Black cartridge, gave all the other cartridges a shake - no difference.
•   I recalibrated the monitor - was not the problem.
•   I checked whether it is the difference between perceptual and relative - nope.
•   I printed with a different but similar ICC profile - same results, it is not a matter that my profile was corrupted.

Can it be a software issue: in the LR print module there is an alert stating "When selecting a custom profile, remember to turn off color management in the printer driver dialog box." In my printer driver, there is no such dialog box!  - Now I understand that there is a confusion between the "Airprint" and the "Series" Epson driver. I don't know, though, how to check the driver version on my Windows 10 machine. However, when I reinstalled the driver, I could choose that I am connecting the printer trough a UBS cable (rather than WiFi or Ethernet).

Can it be an ink/hardware issue?

Do I need to calibrate my printer and go with a custom profile? (Maybe it is the "old" prints that had some wrong setting, and the "new" ones are those that come out when everything is set "right"?)

Any hints are welcome as to what might be happening. I am truly puzzled right now ...

howardm

Re: Epson 800 print puzzle (color change)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:52:07 pm »

Acquaint yourself with this............

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=111358.0

I re-installed the prior version

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 04:05:17 pm »

Page 83/84 of the manual tells you how to turn printer colour management off. Page 158 of the manual may help identify whether you are using the Series or Airprint driver. Always use the series driver.

Now, as for the mismatches: how to you know that the previous versions of the prints are "correct" and the current ones "incorrect". What were you printing from previously (i.e. tell us more about the comparison)? What is your system for determining what software is most correctly reproducing your colours? Do you softproof your prints on a properly calibrated and profiled display before printing? Are you sure the Media Type in the drover is correctly set? (Did you create a preset for Premium Luster to make sure it is "sticky"?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

frank.sauer

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:09:39 pm »

Thank you so much for your fast reply, Mark.

I did have the right Epson driver. Now I found where to turn off color management in the printer dialog (was set to Adobe RGB), and the results match again the "old" prints. There must have been a confusion between the Adobe RGB and the ICC profile setting. I am very happy that this is working now, even though I am not aware that I ever had made this setting in the past. But I gratefully accept the resolution :-)!

@ Howard: I am still running an old Lightroom version, the new LR color issue has not been affecting me.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:11:21 pm »

Glad to read you got it fixed.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up