Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: make the best of a bad lcd situation  (Read 7070 times)

Deacon MacMillan

make the best of a bad lcd situation
« on: May 17, 2006, 09:35:24 pm »

Based on shining reviews I bought a dell 2005fwp. but now with the beast in captivity I am running into problems. The thing is VERY bright. If I turn down the backlight all the way It runs at about 145cd/m I would like to get down to 110 or 120 but am resorting in adjusting the rgb settings in the onscreen contolls. (just adusting the LUT?) Im calibrating with a i1 display using native white and gamma. im printing for an exibition and my prints are coming out around 1 a stop darker than the screen. I guess I could use my crt but the edges have gone all yellow.

HELP! and thanks, Deacon

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:46:07 am »

I have the same display (used as a second display for pallets, etc) and am surprised yours reads 145cd/m2. The lowest I can get mine is 200cd/m2 which is what I've heard from others as well.

The bad news is there is no way you can get around the displays brightness. Even adjusting the RGB controls (which has consequences) will not get you there despite what the calibration tool says. The display will always be brighter than it should.

Your best solution is to return the display to Dell and buy one that will dim properly such as from Apple or NEC. If you look around in the forums there have been other threads with specific model recommendations to consider.

*You are correct, adjusting the RGB controls alters the 24-bit image and thus reduces the accuracy of the display.

Deacon MacMillan

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 07:53:54 pm »

blah, due to the fact that my youngest son attacked the screen with a ball point pen and scratched it up, I think that dell wont take it back anymore. I guess Ill print by the seat of my pants  and or give the old ctr another chance. I did some testing and with the rgb controll induced liminance 120 value it reads a average of delta e 2.3 or so, and at target luminance 150cm/2, native gamma, native whitepoint and rgb controlls all maxed out it sits at deta e .5! wow! I hope they keel haul the person that chose those backlights.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:57:47 pm by Deacon MacMillan »

61Dynamic

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:39:08 pm »

Ah, kids. Cute little rascals.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:53:43 am »

Sunglasses?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Deacon MacMillan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:14:56 pm »

Sunglasses?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

very clever  

Andrew Larkin

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 02:46:43 am »

very clever 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66406\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He might actually be on an interesting track here.

I have noticed that some of the available monitor "filters" have a neutral tint to them.  If you can find a suitable filter to attach to the front of the monitor, this would not only cut down the brightness, but it would also protect the monitor surface from further incidences of "child abuse" (abuse by child, that is)...

Andrew

Deacon MacMillan

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 01:02:54 am »

He might actually be on an interesting track here.

I have noticed that some of the available monitor "filters" have a neutral tint to them.  If you can find a suitable filter to attach to the front of the monitor, this would not only cut down the brightness, but it would also protect the monitor surface from further incidences of "child abuse" (abuse by child, that is)...

Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

damn... a neutral density filter for the monitor.... nice lateral thinking. Ill persue that one. I was thinking the sunglasses would be ok exept for having to take them off for print viewing.

Jack Varney

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 05:49:59 pm »

I have a question. If you shouldn't adjust the "on-screen" RGB hardware controls what is the use of the eyeone match advanced calibration mode?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 05:53:50 pm by Beachconnection »
Jack Varney

Deacon MacMillan

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 08:51:08 am »

I have a question. If you shouldn't adjust the "on-screen" RGB hardware controls what is the use of the eyeone match advanced calibration mode?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i think its more for CRT monitors than lcds

61Dynamic

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 12:12:20 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The simple calibration mode is completely automatic. It will automatically set the displays brightness (if your display allows it) based of what it thinks is best and then builds a profile. You have no control over what it does.

The Advanced mode gives you control over what happens. It allows you to measure environmental lighting, determine monitor brightness, gamma, white point and it allows the option to calibrate the Eye-One before profiling.

You should always use the Advanced calibration mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up