Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kenai Peninsula (Alaska)-last week of May  (Read 4199 times)

prion

Kenai Peninsula (Alaska)-last week of May
« on: May 12, 2006, 04:10:40 pm »

Hi All,

I am flying to Anchorage, renting a car and driving to the Kenai area.  I will spent some time in Seward and also Soldotna.  I am taking my Nikon D70s, 80-400 VR and 17-55mm f2.8 lenses and tripod.

I appreciate any info I could get on the best places to watch sunrises/sunsets, animals, migratory birds.
I am planning to take the Kenai Fjords day long boat tour.
Does anyone know of the best spots/time of day to photograph birds/animals in the Kenai Flats or within the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Area?
I am not backpacking but will hike an hour or two to a good spot if it is worthwhile.

Thanks a bunch!

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 07:46:48 pm »

Hi All,

I am flying to Anchorage, renting a car and driving to the Kenai area.  I will spent some time in Seward and also Soldotna.  I am taking my Nikon D70s, 80-400 VR and 17-55mm f2.8 lenses and tripod.

I appreciate any info I could get on the best places to watch sunrises/sunsets, animals, migratory birds.
I am planning to take the Kenai Fjords day long boat tour.
Does anyone know of the best spots/time of day to photograph birds/animals in the Kenai Flats or within the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Area?
I am not backpacking but will hike an hour or two to a good spot if it is worthwhile.

Thanks a bunch!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65261\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tapeman

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:13:26 am »

I will follow this thread, as I will be in Alaska May 31 - June 17. I will also be spending some time in Seward and Kenai.

This is my first trip to Alaska, so I cannot be of help.  
Tapeman.  Canon shooter. Acquiring gear

Hank

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:30:20 pm »

In the whole region, very early morning is prime time for wildlife simply because there are fewer people about.  With the rapidly-lengthening days "early" means painfully early alarm clocks.  Moose and occasional black bears can be found in the flats leading up to Portage glacier.  Check the shoreline of the lake for floating ice forms.  Great photography when the wind has been kind and pushed floes within range.

My two favorite scenic locations are Exit Glacier near Seward and Summit Lake vicinity.  At the glacier it's irresistible to get close.  Do that, but then wander far downstream for some broader views, especially those shot with low POV to make the stream large in the frame with the glacier looming overhead.  You can also take the trail uphill toward the main glacier field, but it's a long walk to the top.  Partway up are good views of Exit glacier, but afternoon light is generally best.  I've seen both blackbear and grizzlies in the vicinity of Exit, though the park service gets pretty frantic when they appear due to the large numbers of people.

In the vicinity of Summit Lake, don't confine yourself to roadside views.  Venture out on some of the trails and especially into the deltas of the feeder streams.

I don't remember the names of the lakes, but there are several small ones beginning at the Homer cutoff which provide dramatic scenery when the light is right.

Fair to great opportunities for marine mammals and birds via the assorted Kenai Fjord boat tours out of Seward.  Excellent aerial shooting around Seward, but most people don't think of it or are put off by the charter costs.

There can be great birds at the marsh/wetlands near Kenai- right off the highway.

Potter Marsh just south of Anchorage has great birds, especially Arctic Terns and rednecked grebes in May.  Nine miles south of Anchorage watch for Dall sheep along the uphill side of the road.  Park and hike up the trial system for closer views.  There's a natural salt lick that attracts them down near the road, and there are often several more concealed from the road for each one you can see at road level.  They're pretty tame if you're pretty calm and knowledgeable about animals.

Great alpine scenics in the hills above Anchorage, accessible from the ski area toward Palmer or at the top of the Rabbit Creek roads.  Sorry, but I don't remember the names of either.

Lots more around, but those are my favorites when I'm in the vicinity with time on my hands.

prion

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:20:23 pm »

Thank you for the info,
We will add several stops along our way to/from Seward, including Potter Marsh and Summit Lake.  We are also going to stay at the Seward Windsong lodge, down the road from Exit Glacier.

Thanks!!!

prion

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 03:22:27 am »

Back from Alaska!  It was not quite spring time but we saw plenty of birds and large wildlife.  We were also rewarded with exquisite views of Mt McKinley.  

I am in the process of posting pictures on our website. I will be glad to share my experiences with anyone traveling to Alaska.  

http://www.reneeandjulio.com/gallery/album12
Pages: [1]   Go Up