Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer advice please  (Read 2244 times)

GMB

• Georg M. Berrisch Fine Art & Travel Photography
Printer advice please
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:03:13 pm »

I’d appreciate some advice on printers.  As background: I am serious hobbyist.  I shoot Leica M and Leica S and enjoy (big) prints from both.  I print only for personal pleasure, but seek to achieve high quality prints, using a variety of fine art papers.  Finally, I print infrequently. 

About 4 years ago, I bought a Canon ipf 6300.  I went with the Canon over the Epson 24” printer because Epson was known for clogging and reports suggested that Canon was not.  I was super happy with the printer until, last spring, I encountered the well know dreaded error codes, which are discussed in other threads on this forum (see here and here.  The frustrating conclusion by one user was “Epsons clog, Canons self-electrocute”.

Then one day, my printer died completely.  In the light of what I had read about the costs of repair, and considering that, in Belgium, only Canon can repair these printers and they charge a minimum of 250 EUR if they send someone, I was concerned to throw good money after bad.  However, eventually I decided to go for a repair. The Canon technician was very competent and friendly but also very candid and negative about Canon.  He told me these problems not only happen to folks who, like me, print infrequently, but also to professional users who use the printer daily.  He added that Canon is fully aware of the problem but does not undertake anything to solve it. To cut a long story short, after investing another 1,000 EUR in print heads, a waste tank, and ink, the machine ran again.  However, if I do not literally print every day, it runs extended cleaning circles and requests a restart, so it is only a matter of time when it will die again.  And if that happens, end of story.

So what options does someone in my situation have: (1) By a Canon.  Enjoy it as long as it lasts but do be prepared to by a new one after 2-3 years?  This is a “no” for me.  Not only cost wise but I also do not want to support this type of business model. (2) Go for Epson and pray they don’t clog. I would be very interested to hear whether the new Epson printers mark a considerable improvement as regards the clogging is concerned and, more generally, how they perform.  (3) Or go for a A2 printer and have the larger prints done by a professional lab. This may be the “smart” version but I do really enjoy a large print coming out my own printer.

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Printer advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 03:35:01 pm »

Either brand can let you down eventually, or either brand may run for a long time. All you can do is take care of them and hope for the best.

Personally I've got an Epson 9900 that is over 5 years old that gets used on occasion, and I still have the original maintenance tanks in the machine.  Yes I've had to run some clean cycles, but doubtful I've used more than $100-200 of ink in 5 years. I've had a canon 6100 for 3 years and had to replace the heads twice, and a 7900 which had the head  die after 3 years.   

The 9900 has been better taken care of. I have an auto refill humidifier in the room so the room is always at 40% or better humidity.  Important for either brand to extend life and avoid cleaning. I've also learned that power cleans on an epson requires care, and a full sheet of color needs to be printed after any cleaning cycle to make sure air is out of the head before evaluating nozzle status.

shuttershane

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:16:45 pm »

Both make great printers. Epson will give you a slightly better sharpness and I hear canon has a slightly wider gamut.

I went with a P8000 just last week and its a heck of a machine. I had a Epson 7900 that bit the dust after almost 5 years (green channel went bad).  I was very annoyed that fixing it would cost a ton, but I also blame myself for it going bad (I left it for 6 months without printing).

Right now Epson has a heck of a deal on the new P series (Nice instant rebates). A P7000 or P9000 would be a awesome replacement for your canon. Heck the P6000 and P8000 are great as well. Call a Epson dealer and tell them you are thinking of switching over to Epson and ask what they can do to sweeten the deal....you never know what you may *cough free ink* get.

OnyimBob

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:15:15 pm »

For what it's worth (probably no consolation at all) I've been using my iPf5000 since 2008 with never a single issue except cartridge replacement and one print head replacement. I guess buying any mass produced item today is a bit of a lottery.
Bob.
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:15:15 pm »

I agree with Wayne. The Epson clogging problem has been way exaggerated, IMO, largely by a small number of Epson owners who have had problems and gone all postal about them. I owned an Epson 4880 for about 5 years, light use, and never had a serious clog or other maintenance issue. I now have a 7900, 4 years old, and never a serious clog or any maintenance issue. The make stunning prints. The paper handling is essentially flawless. So, don't avoid Epson because of the "clogging issue."

enduser

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:08:10 am »

Users here speak warmly of the life expectancy of HP Z Series.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:30:39 am »

Epson will give you a slightly better sharpness

Really? I've honestly no idea, I'd have thought any difference these days would be at loupe-level...?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:44:18 pm »

Really? I've honestly no idea, I'd have thought any difference these days would be at loupe-level...?
yeah, I think it’s a loupe level or close to it.  Epson does have a little better control of dot placement and dot size with their head technology, and also has an overall resolution grid advantage (1440x2880 vs 1200x2400), but the two printers produce virtually identical quality even when work is compared side by side.

I think the Epson has the better build quality and paper handling, especially roll paper with no spindle.  The Canon has no mk/pk ink switching which for some is a great feature, and the clogs are very effectively hidden and managed behind the scenes, so the user may spend less time taking care of the printer in environments and situations where nozzles are troublesome.

But average TCO I believe is a push - nozzle maintenance costs $$$ - ink for epson, heads for canons.

BrianKEdwards

• Brian K. Edwards Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 06:19:18 pm »

I just purchased a Standard Edition P7000 and so far, so good. Just waiting for some additional profiles (Ilford Gallerie Silk Gold available, Epson profiles come with printer installation) from Canson and Hahnemuhle and a few others.

About to retire my trusty 3880 which has been a terrific printer. I might add that despite living in dry Santa Fe (NM), I never had one problem with clogging. I would keep it but need the space.

Brian

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:41:01 pm »

I agree with Wayne. The Epson clogging problem has been way exaggerated, IMO, largely by a small number of Epson owners who have had problems and gone all postal about them.
Depends on the printer model! I had a 4900 sitting in the same room as a 3880, the former clogged unless it was used every day. The later never clogs. The 3880 was the best Epson I've owned (and I've owned dozens dating back to the 1200). The P600 I have seems to be behaving nicely too. The 4900 was excruciating.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 07:55:44 pm »

Depends on the printer model! I had a 4900 sitting in the same room as a 3880, the former clogged unless it was used every day. The later never clogs. The 3880 was the best Epson I've owned (and I've owned dozens dating back to the 1200). The P600 I have seems to be behaving nicely too. The 4900 was excruciating.
yes, the originally 4900 was the most problematic printer epson has ever produced (in fact probably the most problematic printer any company has ever produced). Rumor has it they modified the capping station to seal the head better when closed after about a year, but I don't trust it enough to give one a try.

Now that the p800 is roll feed, even without the cutter, I steer all customers towards it instead of a 4900.
Pages: [1]   Go Up