Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boot Camp  (Read 10362 times)

bob mccarthy

• http://
Boot Camp
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 02:08:44 pm »

Well I broke down and purchased a mac laptop with a 23 Apple monitor. I am about to add in the dual boot option and would appreciate any help I can get, doing it the correct way.

I'm a PC guy and the Apple thing is a little confusing so I being cautious. I am running all the windows apps like PSII, etc. I need office for my work as I live in Word, Powerpoint and Outlook.

I put all the memory the machine can handle (2 gig) and I expect it to be OK, not exceptional at running PS.

I have hooked up to the machine a Nikon 5000 scanner, Epson 4990 scanner and a HP DJ 90. I'm out of ports. Went with a mightly mouse to save a usb port.

Plan to add a external HD (firewire as I'm out of usb ports).

I have ton's of questions, such as,

how to best format windows partition (fat32 or)?,

can I install the windows on the external drive?,

can I partition the external drive?,

should I leave PSII on the windows side?,

other editing software on mac side?.

I calibrated the screen (x-rite Optix pro), 23" screen first, then I drug the dialog over to the laptop screen and calibrated it but it wanted me to overwrite the monitor profile file (a big no-no in windows). I don't understand haw to calibrate both monitors?

Lost in the Mac - Windows divide!!!!

Bob
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:11:56 pm by bob mccarthy »

Andrew Larkin

Boot Camp
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 04:36:37 pm »

Anybody know if the OE version of Windows XP that sites like newegg sell would work with Boot Camp?

There is no difference between the OEM version and the retail version of XP, other than the licencing conditions.  The OEM version can only legally be sold with a brand-new computer as a "bundle".

On the subject of 32Gb partitions and FAT32: it is not a technical limitation of FAT32, but a policy issue of Microsoft.  You can format a much larger drive to use FAT32, it is just that the Microsoft utilities in XP won't let you.

Once a big drive has been formatted, XP will deal with it quite happily.

The trick used to be that we booted a system from an old Windows 98 boot diskette and formatted the drive from there.  W98 supported FAT32 but not NTFS.

Last time I had to do this (to prep a notebook hard disk for a USB storage device), I grabbed a free tool from http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Alternatively, if you can format the drive as FAT32 from the Mac OS, then install XP under whatever dual-boot arrangements.

Andrew
(Last serious use of a mac in 1987)

francois

Boot Camp
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 03:29:44 am »

Bob,
You may to get this article from O'Reilly (read the customers reviews to see if it fits the bill). Macintouch website also has some valuable information. Personally, I've only little experience with Boot Camp and can't really help you much.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 05:13:52 am by francois »
Francois

bob mccarthy

• http://
Boot Camp
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 11:36:11 am »

Thought for archiving purposes, I would add in my comments having completed the transformation. The installing of boot camp was very straightforward and in the final result almost perfectly seamless. The got-cha's are so minor to be a non event. In the end I kept the PC side fairly intact and a mirror of my desktop PC that I've decided to retire. All network both wireless and hardwired work as before. Having used emulators before with significant annoyances I was prepared for the worse. I can say that this was very different.

Well I broke down and purchased a mac laptop with a 23 Apple monitor. I am about to add in the dual boot option and would appreciate any help I can get, doing it the correct way.

I'm a PC guy and the Apple thing is a little confusing so I being cautious. I am running all the windows apps like PSII, etc. I need office for my work as I live in Word, Powerpoint and Outlook.

I kept all of my office docs on the PC side for now

I put all the memory the machine can handle (2 gig) and I expect it to be OK, not exceptional at running PS.

Until a native version of PSII comes out I will keep PS (and PK sharpner and Noise Ninja) on thePC side

I have hooked up to the machine a Nikon 5000 scanner, Epson 4990 scanner and a HP DJ 90. I'm out of ports. Went with a mightly mouse to save a usb port.

Everything worked flawlessly. I installed versions of all my scanner/printer software on both sides, all worked properly

Plan to add a external HD (firewire as I'm out of usb ports).

added a firewire ext drive at home on the mac side, I may add another ext. drive at office on PC side

I have ton's of questions, such as,

how to best format windows partition (fat32 or)?,

I ended up formatting NTFS, Mac can read the files, but modify!!

can I install the windows on the external drive?,

No, but its not a problem as it turns out

can I partition the external drive?,

Don't know, but I'm going to attempt to add two externals drives to the Mix

should I leave PSII on the windows side?,

For now that what I did, but I did install Lightroom on Mac side, I now understand what the fuss was about

other editing software on mac side?.

Lightroom, Silverfast and Capture NX is on Mac side working as expected

I calibrated the screen (x-rite Optix pro), 23" screen first, then I drug the dialog over to the laptop screen and calibrated it but it wanted me to overwrite the monitor profile file (a big no-no in windows). I don't understand haw to calibrate both monitors?

Still looking for the answer

Lost in the Mac - Windows divide!!!!

No longer

Bob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74861\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Minor issues are limited to clocks didn't want to sync on Mac and PC side. And I haven't figured how to make the track ball on the wireless Mightly Mouse to act like the scroll wheel n the PC side only. Works fine on Mac side.

5 Stars

Bob
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 02:23:06 pm by bob mccarthy »

francois

Boot Camp
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 04:39:52 am »

Glad to see that Boot Camp works for you and thanks for sharing your experience!

Francois
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up