Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for a table matte cutter board  (Read 3902 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Recommendations for a table matte cutter board
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:21:27 pm »

I'm still learning to cut matte board, and currently use a Logan matte knife and safety straightedge ruler. While this combo works fine for standard matte boards, I use quite a lot of gatorboard and find that this combo isn't doing the trick: the knife tends to like to wander a bit when cutting gatorboard. With hopes to get better, straighter cuts, I've been looking at table matte cutting boards, like the Logan 350 or 450 (http://www.cutting-mats.net/logan-mat-cutters.html). Unfortunately, I don't have space for a wall-mounted cutter, so any cutter has to be able to be used on a table. The largest prints I currently work with are 13x19", but I'm pretty sure I'll be moving to larger ones in the upcoming year.

I hope to get some suggestions for possible table matte cutters, with the extra caveat that any cutter should be able to handle gatorboard at 3/16" thickness.

Thanks for your help.

PS: This goes with another post of mine, http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103022.0, asking whether one should expect square corners from pre-cut gatorboard.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:50:50 pm by Bob_B »
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

BillK

• http://
Re: Recommendations for a table matte cutter board
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:31:11 pm »

The only Logan that I would recommend is the  850 platinum.
http://www.amazon.com/Logan-Platinum-Edge-Mat-Cutter/dp/B002SZMDS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439781724&sr=8-1&keywords=logan+850+mat+cutter

Never been too impressed with Logan's lesser models.

However it all depends on if you would use it enough to justify to cost.
If you are only doing a few mats now and then, probably not.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:51:34 am »

Quite a while ago Logan bought Phaedra (part of American Design and Engineering). The Phaedra Chronomat was a professional grade cutter and it became Logan's 850. Except for dropping the price by about a third Logan hasn't changed anything except the color, and parts are still interchangeable with Chronomat cutters. If you look closely at the Logan line you'll find the 850 is completely different than the others.

Gatorboard very dense and is typically cut with a saw. I don't think any mat cutter can handle it. "Foamcore" or "foam board" is different, and easily handled by most mat cutters.
- Dean

Ferp

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:53:26 am »

The only Logan that I would recommend is the 850 platinum.
Never been too impressed with Logan's lesser models.

So all the mattes that I've been cutting on my Logan 650 are no good?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:06:17 am »

I would consider the Flethcher "edit" 2200 or newer designs. They make it in a 48 and 60 inch size.

Great tool I have had a 2100 for years with no problems.

"edit"
I misread your post, as I saw mat cutter.  You already mentioned you don't have a wall cutter.  My question, can you mount a 48" wall cutter and how much gator are you using?  Gator is much cheaper sold in the 4 x 8 sheet size.  You will need to order through a framing distributor if possible or find a local source.  I use a local plastic (sheet plastic) shop in my town, as they can order gator. 

My main sizes on gator tend to be 16 x 20, 20 x 30, and 24 x 36 all on 3/16" any larger I go to 1/2 gator, different story totally.

A wall cutter is invaluable for making the first cuts, I trim down by hand using a long ruler and one of the self healing cutting boards sold in hobby store or art supply stores.  Tape the ruler down on the far side to help avoid slippage which will happen during the cut. If the piece is going straight to a frame, with 3/16" you only need one cut and it doesn't have to be all the way through as you can snap the rest clean. 

I don't use a mat cutter for the trimming and I don't feel a mat cutter by design would work well for the first cuts, although the 2200 Fletcher is designed to make such cuts. 

A wall cutter can be found used very often, shops going out of business.  Framingsupplies.com sells a very nice 48" for under 850.00.  If you are doing a lot a gator it will save you a lot of time. 

Paul
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:27:58 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 08:13:04 am »

With a little practice I have been able to cut Gator perfectly using just a self-healing cutting pad, a T-square, a good straight edge, and a box cutter. You need a good straight edge, mine was bought many moons ago and is heavy metal with a rubber backing to prevent slipping. The box cutter needs to have a stiff blade that you extend the minimum possible.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 08:38:05 am »

Not wildly cheap, but the Keencut Javelins (now in version2) http://www.keencut.com/keencut-product-range/table-top-cutters/javelin-series-2/ will happily cut 5mm PVC. Available in lengths from 40" up wards.
We have a 60" on the cutting bench, great device, and can be used without the lifting arm

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:40:42 am »

With a little practice I have been able to cut Gator perfectly using just a self-healing cutting pad, a T-square, a good straight edge, and a box cutter. You need a good straight edge, mine was bought many moons ago and is heavy metal with a rubber backing to prevent slipping. The box cutter needs to have a stiff blade that you extend the minimum possible.

Thanks Peter. My technique is somewhat similar, although I have been using a logan matte knife, not a box cutter. I find that it is a must to change the blade after every 2-3 cuts when working with 3/16" gatorboard. Still, I'm always a bit leery of using the knife and straightedge with gatorboard; fear of losing fingertips that is.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

framah

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 11:42:56 am »

It really is too bad you can't make a wall mounted cutter work for you.

My Fletcher  3100 will cut glass, mat board, foam core, plastic, and up to 1/2" gator board with 2 cuts. I can even cut 1/8" masonite and Dibond.

A good table cutter will have another cutter on the other side of the cutter head that cuts the mat openings. This other head gives you straight cuts and is used for just this sort of thing.

Look at C&H or Fletcher and then a step down in quality, look at Logan cutters.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up