Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-cut gatorboard: Should the corners be square?  (Read 1788 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Pre-cut gatorboard: Should the corners be square?
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:07:08 pm »

Sort of a lame subject title, but I've been buying pre-cut gatorboard from an online store that seems to never get the corners square. The result is that I end up buying boards larger than I need and cutting them after mounting my print. This sort of works, but introduces problems associated with possible damage to the print surface and the all-too-common bad cuts I make using my manual Logan matte cutter and rule.

So, simple question: How reasonable is it to expect square corners when buying pre-cut gatorboard? (I would also appreciate recommendation for suppliers that sell well-cut gatorboard.)

Thanks ever so much for your help.

PS: This goes with a second post of mine, http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103023.0, asking for mat cutter recommendations.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:49:14 pm by Bob_B »
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

datro

Re: Pre-cut gatorboard: Should the corners be square?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:40:33 pm »

I never assume my mounting supplies are square; most of the time they are not, even expensive mat boards.  Things like gator are even less likely to be square in my opinion.  For my mounting boards (typically being sized from a stock 32x40 Rising board), my routine is to first trim about 1 inch from the long side in my mat cutter to get the first corner exactly square.  From there I then rotate the board CCW and trim to size on each rotation.  This way I'm pretty sure to get a sized board that is exactly square on each corner.  Of course you must pay attention to seat the board in the mat cutter squarely against the extender arm, and it's worth making sure the arm is square to the line of cut as well.

I would recommend you size the mount board (gator in your case) BEFORE you mount anything to it.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:36:01 am »

Thanks, and I hear you loud and clear about cut first mount second. My only reservation on doing this came from my poor ability to cut straight edges with square corners, but with practice this is becoming a reality.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

framah

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:45:41 am »

So, why are you mounting to gatorboard?
It isn't anything like archival or acid free.

Is it purely for the rigidity?
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:14:10 am »

Hi framah: I mount on gatorboard not for archival but for durability when taking my portfolio around or for inexpensive, temporary display. At this stage in my life and photo career, archival is not something I worry about. :)
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up