Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CMS issues for third party inks for a used Epson 4800  (Read 1826 times)

BillHorne

• http://
CMS issues for third party inks for a used Epson 4800
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:26:11 pm »

I've been successfully & accurately printing photos, digital paintings & reproductions of my wife's art & others' art/photos for several years now with an Epson Stylus Pro 4000, using Epson inks (exclusively) on Epson Enhanced Matte paper, with a custom ICC profile I purchased from Andrew Rodney for this printer, paper and ink; running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit & Qimage Ultimate software. However, apart from clogging issues, this legacy printer is showing its age with odd errors like "wrong paper size" (when the paper size is NOT wrong) & "set cartridge" when the cartridges are all set. So I'm considering getting a used Epson 4800.

The previous owner has refillable ink carts available for sale. While the prospect of saving some money on inks is tempting, I am not confident that I can maintain the consistent colour fidelity I have enjoyed with my E4000 using Epson inks, even if I were to purchase a custom ICC profile for third party inks on Epson paper (matte, as before) for the E4800.

Are my fears unjustified, or would I be wise to stick with Epson's inks with a custom profile? Any comments appreciated.

hugowolf

Re: CMS issues for third party inks for a used Epson 4800
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 10:57:53 pm »

It would certainly be wise to use a custom profile with third party ink, and I see no reason why you shouldn't maintain color fidelity. The main problem with third party inks is longevity, I don't think any of them have been shown to be as light fast as OEM inks.

Brian A

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:15:40 pm »

It would certainly be wise to use a custom profile with third party ink, and I see no reason why you shouldn't maintain color fidelity. The main problem with third party inks is longevity, I don't think any of them have been shown to be as light fast as OEM inks.

Brian A

Agree on the custom profile.  Essential if you want consistent accurate colour.

Disagree on the lightfast issue.  While no testing has been done by reliable agencies to my knowledge, my experience over a decade with several third party pigment inksets is that they are very lightfast.  I see zero apparent fading with unprotected canvas prints on sunny walls over several years. 

If you print a lot of area, the savings are substantial.

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:46:40 am »

Agree on the custom profile.  Essential if you want consistent accurate colour.

Disagree on the lightfast issue.  While no testing has been done by reliable agencies to my knowledge,...

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/

Brian A

BillHorne

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:46 pm »

Thanks to Brian and Peter for the feedback - much appreciated.

aaronchan

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 06:05:29 am »

If you are getting a 4800, I would purchase ConeColor ink from inkjetmall.
But instead of getting 4800 ink, get the 4880 inkset with Vivid Magenta and Vivid Light Magenta.
That could increase the color gamut over the original inkset.
The only thing is to get a proper custom ICC profile to get accurate color.

ColorMunki is a very "not expensive" equipement with surprisingly good result. For $500 you can do the profiling by yourself.
I think this will be a good combination for you.

aaron
Pages: [1]   Go Up