Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thesilentview.com  (Read 6947 times)

Silent View

thesilentview.com
« on: February 08, 2006, 02:32:55 pm »

My landscape website can be found here, for anyone interested -

http://www.thesilentview.com

Thanks

JRandallNichols

thesilentview.com
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 10:50:00 pm »

I don't think you understand the purpose of this forum, which is to enable photographers to ask specific questions about their particular images and receive their colleagues' suggestions and feedback, all in the overall interest of helping us envision images in a better way.

Perhaps your post goes to the point of the forum's needing an introductory "rules of the road" announcement describing its purpose, ethos, and shared expectations.  

I would very much like for you to share an image about which you have some questions, and get introduced to the forum in that way.
Randy

Silent View

thesilentview.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 02:41:18 pm »

Well, er, any comments on my website/photographs are welcome...

OnyimBob

• http://
thesilentview.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »

I would very much like for you to share an image about which you have some questions, and get introduced to the forum in that way.

I agree with JRN's comment. However, having said that, I am pleased that I was able to look at your photographs. Because I really like some of them! It would be good to know more about them.
If you were just to post one of them for critique I'm sure you'd receive some feedback.
Unfortunately, your first post came across as a commercial.
You can post individual photographs here. I have received some very helpful and insightful critiques here. What you won't get is unqualified praise no matter how good your work is - that's not the purpose of this forum as JRN makes clear.
Bob Munro.
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

Silent View

thesilentview.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 02:59:37 pm »

Unfortunately I don't know how to link a photograph - I leave the 'technical' internet stuff to my web designer. Any criticism anyone wants to make of my photographs/website is fine though...and possibly helpful. Thanks.

JRandallNichols

thesilentview.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:02:16 am »

Unfortunately I don't know how to link a photograph - I leave the 'technical' internet stuff to my web designer. Any criticism anyone wants to make of my photographs/website is fine though...and possibly helpful. Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the honesty.  Actually it's pretty easy to attach an image and you don't have to be a techie.  At the bottom of this page on which one composes a post or reply (as I am doing now) is a bar called "File Attachments."  Click on the "Browse" button and locate on your own computer whatever image you want to attach, then click "add this attachment," and you're there.

To illustrate, I captured one of the images from your website (very rewarding, by the way), saved it to my desktop, and will attach it from there.  Now having said all that, I hope it works as it has before!
Randy

JRandallNichols

thesilentview.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 11:27:02 am »

Just a further thought about how this forum works.  Suppose you posted this shot and had two questions about it: (1) does the composition work? and (2) does it seem a little too flat in tonality?  Someone could come along and play with the image, as I just did very quickly (and not too expertly), and reply: (1) the composition is almost a charicature of the rule of thirds, and it may suffer from a lack of clear subject focus, i.e., I am almost looking at two or three images, and (2) maybe giving it a bit more "punch" and bringing out a bit more in the midtones might help the "flatness."  So here is a slight crop and a little tweaking with levels and hue/saturation adjustments.  What do you think?
Randy

Silent View

thesilentview.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:08 am »

Thanks for the advice. I don't follow composition rules really, I just do what I instictively feel works for me. I see what you are saying, but I still prefer my version - something about the vertical proportions versus the horizontal etc.  The forground could perhaps do with some more mid tones bringing out, as you've done above. The problem is that brings out a muddy brown clour in the forground which I was trying to avoid, but I'm considering it. I like the dark tones of the rest of the photo, but I will try it with a little more mid-tone.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:53:37 am by Silent View »
Pages: [1]   Go Up