Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Canson Baryta Photographique Ink Smearing After 24hrs

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mark D Segal:
Neither would I, but I think it conceivable that applying the wrong black to the paper surface could cause issues - if indeed that is what's happening.

Landscapes:

--- Quote from: Tom Marasco on April 20, 2015, 12:42:50 pm ---Thanks again, Mark.

I was pondering the idea of the profile actually calling the Matte Black rather than Photo Black.  I wonder if this could be an issue?  I wouldn't know where to start to trouble shoot that idea, though, or how to correct it.

--- End quote ---

When I experimented with one of the Satin canvases, I just used the same profile I had made for a matte canvas and hence used the same printer setting.  This made use of Matte black ink instead of photo black (Canon printer).  For days later, I could wipe off the darker/black colors.  Now this will only of course affect the areas where black ink needs to be laid down, but once you start getting into dark colors, black is probably used more and more so along with other mixed in colors.  So since a baryta surface does seem rather shinny to me, even though I guess its a matte paper, I almost think that this is easily the issue.  I have no experience with Baryta paper though to properly comment, just speculate.

Mark D Segal:

--- Quote from: Landscapes on April 20, 2015, 01:44:30 pm ---When I experimented with one of the Satin canvases, I just used the same profile I had made for a matte canvas and hence used the same printer setting.  This made use of Matte black ink instead of photo black (Canon printer).  For days later, I could wipe off the darker/black colors.  Now this will only of course affect the areas where black ink needs to be laid down, but once you start getting into dark colors, black is probably used more and more so along with other mixed in colors.  So since a baryta surface does seem rather shinny to me, even though I guess its a matte paper, I almost think that this is easily the issue.  I have no experience with Baryta paper though to properly comment, just speculate.

--- End quote ---

Canson Baryta Photographique as well as Ilford Gold Fibre Silk are in the luster category - not matte - and they need Photo Black ink, not Matte Black ink.

Tom Marasco:
The printer is definitely using Photo Black.  I'm puzzled. 

Mark D Segal:
I can only think of two approaches to resolving the problem: (1) Make a custom profile for it (or get one made from a profiling service such as Digital Dog or Onsight), and (2) use Canon's own Photo Black ink and see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version