Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land of Shadows  (Read 3372 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Land of Shadows
« on: April 05, 2015, 01:00:30 pm »

The Moab is a wonder. After serving abroad in Europe since 1994 my wife and I returned to the United States in July of 2014. My job took us to northern Utah, north of Salt Lake City. My photography career started in the rural hills of Germany where we lived. The landscape of Utah is radically different from the gentle hills of western Germany. If the German landscape whispers to you the Utah landscape screams at you! And the Moab uses a big megaphone! On this Sunday morning my wife and I made our way to Dead Horse Point. The previous day we were in Canyonlands at the Mesa Arch and the day before that Delicate Arch. Wonders all. But Dead Horse Point took us to a higher elevation and not just in a physical sense. The booming canyons with the stunning La Sal mountains in the background. The sun cracking the horizon, creating such a special atmosphere. And the light. The light streaming through this monumental earth gesture is...beyond description. One must feel it, taste it, feel the wind on your face. This moment I captured does NOT live up to what we experienced but I hope it conveys a feeling that in a world filled with tension and hate all around us, somewhere on a distant mountain, or canyon, you can find your peace.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:08:01 pm by mseawell »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Land of Shadows
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 01:05:21 pm »

Lovely! I very much like the light and dark contrasts and yet there's a softness in the image that fits your beautiful words. Thanks for sharing it. Having just visited that very spot, it is fantastic to see the terrain through another's eyes.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 01:43:38 pm »

Wow! Gorgeous!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:22:16 pm »

Superb in every way.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 04:04:34 am »

Wonderful.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:59:36 am »

+1
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

churly

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 10:32:04 am »

Beautiful light.  I certainly enjoyed your series from Germany but your more recent work in the SW US, for me at least, has a somewhat more honest or pure feel to it.  I guess what I mean is that the recent work doesn't seem to be pushed as hard.  Anyway just my 2 cents.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

stamper

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 10:33:50 am »

Breathtaking! Simply breathtaking!

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 10:44:02 am »

Wonderful tonal range. This really works in B&W.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »

And I continue to hate you for producing images that never stop amazing me. >:( This is absolutely phenomenal for me.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

francois

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 06:26:35 am »

Germany or Utah, your work is outstanding, breathtaking.
Francois

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:11:19 pm »

Truly lovely light and your control in the exposure makes for a nicely sublime image. Bravo!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:37:05 pm »

We still need to get together and shoot Mark... :)

James Clark

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 11:51:47 pm »

I've really been enjoying your recent amazing images from Dead Horse Point.  I was in the Moab area last summer and spent some time shooting both Dead Horse and Arches, and I have to say that I think I actually preferred Dead Horse Point from an artistic perspective.   

The Moab is a wonder. After serving abroad in Europe since 1994 my wife and I returned to the United States in July of 2014. My job took us to northern Utah, north of Salt Lake City. My photography career started in the rural hills of Germany where we lived. The landscape of Utah is radically different from the gentle hills of western Germany. If the German landscape whispers to you the Utah landscape screams at you! And the Moab uses a big megaphone! On this Sunday morning my wife and I made our way to Dead Horse Point. The previous day we were in Canyonlands at the Mesa Arch and the day before that Delicate Arch. Wonders all. But Dead Horse Point took us to a higher elevation and not just in a physical sense. The booming canyons with the stunning La Sal mountains in the background. The sun cracking the horizon, creating such a special atmosphere. And the light. The light streaming through this monumental earth gesture is...beyond description. One must feel it, taste it, feel the wind on your face. This moment I captured does NOT live up to what we experienced but I hope it conveys a feeling that in a world filled with tension and hate all around us, somewhere on a distant mountain, or canyon, you can find your peace.

Mjollnir

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »

It works.  Totally.

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 08:50:27 pm »

I just wanted to say a heartfelt "Thank you" to everyone for their kind comments! I've been off-line for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see all these comments. My wife read them and she to was equally touched by it all. We hope to return to the Moab at one point this year but probably late Autumn. I was listening to NPR this morning and they said attendance at the national parks in Utah are already up 28% in Zion and 33% at Bryce! I'm new to the southwest but I do know this: I can't do it. I can't be shoulder to shoulder in a loud place trying to do photography with a million tourist. I'm sure you all feel the same. We would like to make our first trip to the Tetons in May, VERY much looking forward to this....except for the bears! ;)

Keep shootin!

Mark

P.S. If anyone has tips on shooting the Tetons I'm all ears. I think we'll be staying in Idaho about 50 minutes from Jackson Hole...much cheaper!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:52:36 pm by mseawell »

Ian stuart Forsyth

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 01:54:53 am »

Very nice use of softness that works well

philaitman

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 04:05:58 am »

The style of this photograph is right up my street. In particular I feel the toning is excellent and the sense of depth it adds really works well.
The whole image has a sense of both mystery and scale. Thanks for sharing.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 07:53:04 am »

Excellent. Love the bw. Inspirational for me as I'm headed there Thursday to do a workshop with Andy Biggs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up