Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is my 7900 dead?  (Read 4700 times)

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
Is my 7900 dead?
« on: March 21, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »

I have a 5 year old Epson 7900, light usage (906 pages). It has printed flawlessly up till now. A week ago the nozzle check print failed. Here is what I've done to try clear it:
1 - Multiple normal clean cycles over a few days
2 - Pair clean normal
3 - Pair clean strong
4 - Power clean

Only 3 and 4 done on same day.

I control the humidity in the room.

The attachment shows the nozzle check pattern in the MK or PK (both behave the same).

Is the head dead? Is there anything else I can do to unclog it?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Is my 7900 dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 04:06:27 pm »

To me, this looks recoverable. If you did not run prints between cleaning cycles air intake may aggravate the problem rather than fix it. Try several "pairs cleaning" in "powerful" mode; but run prints between each cleaning emphasizing those channels . In fact, start with running the print, followed by a cleaning, then check, if not clear reprint, then reclean etc until it reports clean. A few cycles of this should fix it. Create a page in Photoshop of the two missing channel colours for doing this.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

GeraldB

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »

Thanks Mark. I will try that.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 05:05:25 pm »

Before you try that, get into service man mode (some call it service mode and others call it maintenance mode)  and try the pair cleaning there, as you get 4 different power settings, where as from the driver you only get 2. 

I have cleared worse looking nozzle checks but it did take several pairs cleanings, in Maintenance mode.  You have a lot more options in this mode. 

To get there, turn off the printer, and power it back on with the menu, down arrow and right arrow all held down at once.  Keep the pressure on until you see the carts show up on the printer's LCD, then let go.
In the Eric G massive thread on this site shows the steps to get to pairs cleaning in Service mode. 

If you still can't get it cleared, as a last resort you might try the super strong cleaning cycle one time. 

After that, if you still see the same pattern, it's time for a new head as more than likely pizeo damage has occurred and no number of cleaning will fix electrical damage.  Again, see the Eric's thread as he pretty much proved this also.

Hopefully it will clear on it's own.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

GeraldB

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 05:11:05 pm »

Hi Mark, I did 4 cycles as  you suggested without any change in the test strip.

Paul I'll give service mode a try, I've never been there, but its worth a shot at this stage.

I'll try find it in Eric's thread, or try his very nice website at myx900.com.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:21:18 pm »

I agree - if after four such cycles you've had no relief, you need more potent methods. I suggest you first call Epson ProGraphics and ask them about any risks or downsides going into Maintenance Mode. I don't doubt what Paul says about the additional options and the prospects for success with it, but something tells me that if it were so straightforward Epson would have offered it as a normal option in the User Manual, so no harm getting their view of it before proceeding; such phone discussion is free regardless of your warranty status.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 05:36:25 pm »

Mark brings up a good point as there a lot of other things in service mode that you can effect.

However the fact you can run 4 levels of force of cleaning to me makes it worth the trouble.   Eric's thread should be on page 2 or three of this forum it still has by far the single greatest number of hits I have ever seen on this forum.

Take a minute to read over the thread started by Eric has he covers this topic amount others.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

jferrari

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 05:46:12 pm »

Is there anything else I can do to unclog it?

Have you at least tried to clean it? Lint free cloth moistened with distilled water. Clean the head, capping station, wiper and flushing box. Also (and this is most likely your issue) inspect the wiper for anything out of the ordinary. Nicks, splits, tears or even coming off it's mount. Given that this machine is 5 years old I'd say it deserves a new wiper.    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 05:49:32 pm »

Another great point as you may just have a worn out wiper.

You can replace this really easy. See Eric's site as he has a video on just how to do it. You can order the wiper from Compass Micro.  If you are in the US.

www.compassmicro.com

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

GeraldB

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 07:45:44 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will read up on maintenance mode and exchanging the wiper. I'll come back when I've done that with the results.

Does anyone know if there is a Canadian source for the wiper blade? To save on time wasted with customs and shipping charges.

I have a lot of prints to make right now for an exhibition so I want to continue printing before doing anything that could get me in more hot water. When I printed the b&w prints as suggested by Mark I used a black to white spectrum (not sure what you call that). The blacks look pretty black to me. So looking at the gap in the nozzle check pattern what would you expect the effect on the prints to be? They look ok to me but obviously I can't do side by side comparisons.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 08:56:56 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will read up on maintenance mode and exchanging the wiper. I'll come back when I've done that with the results.

Does anyone know if there is a Canadian source for the wiper blade? To save on time wasted with customs and shipping charges.

I have a lot of prints to make right now for an exhibition so I want to continue printing before doing anything that could get me in more hot water. When I printed the b&w prints as suggested by Mark I used a black to white spectrum (not sure what you call that). The blacks look pretty black to me. So looking at the gap in the nozzle check pattern what would you expect the effect on the prints to be? They look ok to me but obviously I can't do side by side comparisons.

Gerald, I don't know a Canadian source, but if the US source can send it by overnight FedEx, this is usually reliable and they do get it through customs and delivered to you "overnight" as they say. It costs of course, but if you are pressed and cannot find a Canadian outlet this would be the way to go. The Black to White spectrum I believe we usually call a "gradient", but OK, got the idea. When I have even not too large gaps in the nozzle check on LLK, LK or PK inks, the effect usually does show in the print. I see a slight broken-striped pattern in say what is supposed to be a perfectly smooth overcast sky. I am just now making a set of prints from photos done in Iceland on an overcast day and had exactly this issue a couple of days ago. Several cycles of cleaning and printing fixed it. Especially for an exhibition, you'll want to examine the prints close-up and make sure you have none of this. Also, smoothness of tonal gradations can be affected.

GeraldB

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30:21 am »

Thanks Mark. I'll order the wiper blade. I am still a bit nervous of getting into swapping blades and too heavy cleaning while in the middle of this printing session, which has a bit of a deadline. I think if I can't see anything that bothers me I'll do it all afterwards.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 10:44:37 am »

Changing the wiper is the easiest and least expensive option.  You might also want to look into cleaning fluids by American Inkjet Systems http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/symphonic_inkjet_cleaning_fluid.html  Inkjetmall.com also has their version of cleaning fluid. Some have reported success using these fluids---and certainly worth trying short of replacing the head.

ken

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 11:11:47 am »

Thanks Mark. I'll order the wiper blade. I am still a bit nervous of getting into swapping blades and too heavy cleaning while in the middle of this printing session, which has a bit of a deadline. I think if I can't see anything that bothers me I'll do it all afterwards.

Under your circumstances I agree with you - if it isn't causing visible trouble and you are working to a deadline, just carry on printing until you see problems - but perhaps best order what you need anyhow, so you'll have it on hand just as soon as possible after you see you need it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 11:23:28 am »

Changing the wiper is the easiest and least expensive option.  You might also want to look into cleaning fluids by American Inkjet Systems http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/symphonic_inkjet_cleaning_fluid.html  Inkjetmall.com also has their version of cleaning fluid. Some have reported success using these fluids---and certainly worth trying short of replacing the head.

ken

Ken, I haven't had experience using these 3rd party fluids so I can't say yeah or nay, but where you say "Some have reported success" - true enough, but it implies that either those who have not succeeded simply don't report, or there is a reported mixed bag of experience out there, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.  When you say "certainly worth trying", this implies that in any circumstance using these fluids can't do any further harm. Is this for sure?

I ask because I tend to be extremely risk averse when it comes to intervening with complex machines in ways that the manufacturer has not provided for us consumers to do, but I know from participation in this forum that many others are much less so, and I believe some are rewarded while others are not. I just wonder about this, particularly after the third cleaning cycle with my 4900 when my mind starts wandering about what next, and three options pass through :(1) persevere repeating what Epson provides for in the User Guide, (2) call Epson for help, or (3) try a self-help solution involving 3rd party materials. Fortunately so far perseverance has worked in my case, but should it fail, I need to think of the other two. By inclination I would probably go option (2), but by nature I remain curious about the level of risk with Option (3), which I presume differs depending on what the problem is and what one does. 

deanwork

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 01:49:20 pm »

Before you go replacing a head make sure you have sufficient ink in the problem cart. I have seen this situation happen when ink carts are low in these new Epsons and not getting enough pressure through that channel.

A new ink cart is a lot cheaper than a service call.

j

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 02:52:18 pm »

Mark, the difficulty that I see with "head/nozzle clogs" is that short of completing an autopsy on the dead printer patient, it is often difficult to diagnose the cause---which even in this short thread if you read between the lines, it is apparent that there are often multiple causalities to what may be blocking a nozzle or causing a dropout. We can have educated guesses but the difficulty in pinpointing the cause (and solution) is also borne out by witnessing Epson techs that simply start replacing one part after another until the printer is revived.  If you are still under warranty, not so much of a concern as it just is a bother similar to waiting for the cable guy to show up during the four hour window that you need to close up shop and wait.  :(  But if you've exhausted most all remedies, then short of having to pay for a new head  :'( I think it is worthwhile to try inexpensive remedies. Changing to a new ink cartridge (as Dean suggests) can work. I have no difficulties doing minor recommended maintenance---even though Epson does not provide much ( nay, it's none!) guidance to end-users on how to do so. I'm sure there is some financial incentive somewhere for their current business practices, albeit maybe not entirely in the end-users' financial interests.

I think the older printers were much more hardy and capable of tinkering with---witness the windex and paper towel methods, but that's not something I would recommend with this latest generation of 79/99** printers which are more advanced and for lack of a better term, delicate. The 3rd Party solutions are claimed to be developed for use with Epson printers. I have heard good things about American Inkjet Systems' solutions, and I do trust products from Jon Cone, though I have not (and knock on wood it stays that way) tried his piezoflush solution. Again, when faced with a nearly $2000 bill to replace a dead print head, spending +/-$20 does not seem so bad, after having exhausted all other efforts.  (cleans, prints, ink cartridges, warm water capping station, wiper blade, etc.)

I do wish there were a one solution fits-all answer, but unfortunately there is not. I'm slowly working on trying to put together a notebook/pdf of sorts on "best practices" keeping your Epson Pro wide format printer happy, and some basic maintenance items that the end-user can do easily on their own. It's probably something that Epson should have done years ago...

ken
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 02:59:26 pm by kdphotography »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 03:24:21 pm »

Hi Ken,

This all makes sense to me - there is some balancing to do between cost and risk. We face it in many ways all the time. So I suppose the appropriate approach if faced with a potential 1000-2000 repair bill is to proceed up the ladder of remedies in order of least risk and see what happens. But the one reservation I have about the home tinkering is whether in the process one converts what may have been a 300 dollar service call into a 1000-2000 dollar call, if you see what I mean. It looks like a classic case of how to minimize your maximum risk given imperfect information.

My sense of where Epson may sit in respect of these options isn't so much financial and money - if I were them I think I'd be happier seeing the customers happier through self-servicing and as little as possible of all this forum chat about clogging problems with my products, but I think the real issue is that when the work one needs to do gets beyond the least bit involved, they are afraid of users messing it up and suing them - so more what their lawyers tell them than the MBAs. :-) We're into an era of such technological sophistication in what we consume that user-serviceability is not something many companies offer a lot of.

Garnick

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 04:19:14 pm »

Hi Gerald,

First let me say that I agree with all of the advice offered here.  I've been running a 9900 for about 4 1/2 years and I have brought back complete nozzle dropouts on a number of occasions.  I can see no reason why you should write off the printer at this point.  When I need to clean a nozzle, depending on the severity of the "clog", I will usually run a couple of pairs cleanings with a full colour print between cleanings.  If that doesn't solve the issue I immediately revert to Service/Maintenance mode and run the cleaning cycles from there.  That mode seems to produce better results and as Paul and Mark have suggested, more options for strength of cleaning.  I find that usually either CL1 or CL2 will do the job.  I don't recall ever having to go higher than that, and again, running a full colour print between cycles.  I also do the "K" ink switch in Service mode, which prevents the printer from automatically running a cleaning cycle once the switch has been completed.  Of course in Service mode you will not be able to run a nozzle check from the printer control panel as usual.  You have to do that with the Epson Printer Utility, which you should have in an easily accessible location on your computer.  I work with Mac an I have that icon in the Dock.  As Paul mentioned, do be careful not to wander into areas in Service mode that you not familiar with.  You could do damage if you accidentally set something that you have no business messing with.  Sorry to be so blunt, but it's not a place in which to be cavalier, so stick with the areas you know once you somewhat familiarize yourself with that mode.  

As far as a source for the wiper blade in Canada is concerned, I'm in the GTA and purchased mine from Access in Toronto.  At the time they also carried various other Epson parts as well, but I haven't checked recently.  Their site is here -- http://www.access.on.ca/.  Take a look and give them a call.  I paid about $13 each for the wiper blades.  That's the only company I know of here in Canada that sells Epson parts, but there may be others and I have no idea if they still sell Epson.  I hope this is of come help Gerald.

Gary        
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:27:03 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 04:34:32 pm »

Hi Gary,

I just had a look in case Access would have anything of interest. All I saw was HP and some odds and sods. Then I read the corporate blurb and see they were acquired by HP in 2007, so small wonder. How Canadian, eh? :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up