Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Ratings  (Read 1417 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Star Ratings
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:06 pm »

I went though a bunch of photos and edited out the ones I wanted to work further with by giving them a one start rating. I used the keyboard shortcut "1" for each selection. After editing all the photos I went to the grid panel and selected attribute, one star. No images appeared. Huh? I've used this feature hundreds of times and never had a problem.

Now, no matter what I set my rating to, using the shortcut or by actually clicking on a star setting, none of the images are being selected. Only if I click in the stars in the actual image does the image get set so that I later select it using attributes.

This is not the way I remember this tool working. Is there some accidental thing I may have turned off that changes the ratings methodology?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

John Caldwell

Re: Star Ratings
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 03:33:36 pm »

When in Grid and you display attributes such as Star ratings (no filter applied), do you see the 1-star attribute attached to your images? Provided you do, you should certainly be able to display only 1-Star images. Common problems are:

1) The folder or collection you are filtering, meaning the library left panel asset you are selecting has no images containing the filter you've imposed. This would mean for you that you are searching a folder or collection containing no 1-Star images, hence no images show.
2) You've imposed, without meaning to, a filter in addition to the filter you want - in your case 1-star rating. The easiest filter to activate without recognizing it is the Flag/Unflagged status (left group of filter buttons). So an example would be that your Filter bar has engaged 1-star (as  intended), but also Flagged images (not intended). Other unintended filters could include color filters, and text string filters (at the top of the grid window).

So first assure that you have in fact attached the 1-star attribute by examining your images within Grid (without any filters imposed), and then be sure that you have invoked the intended, and only the intended, filters. This aspect of LR works very well, in my mind. You should be OK once you get the hang of it.

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:35:44 pm by John Caldwell »

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:05:30 am »

When I go to grid mode, there are no images with stars, despite the fact that I selected about a dozen while going through the images. I used the "1" command and I think it flashed the notice that a rating had been set. Then, going back to the grid mode, none of the images had a rating.

This morning it seems quite normal. Don't know what happened. 
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:02:00 am »

Decent chance your "error" is that you had selected multiple images in Develop from the filmstrip, and applied your "1" from Develop. That will apply your one star, but only to the first, or "most selected", image in the filmstrip. In Library, your multi-selected images will behave differently and in the way you expect: All selected get tagged with your one star, or with whatever you are applying at the time.

John-
Pages: [1]   Go Up