Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7II  (Read 5901 times)

Jodyg88

Sony A7II
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:56:36 pm »

Hi folks
Can A7R  image quality be attained by removing the low pass filter of the A7II. The resolution obviously is less on the A7II. what will 36 mp give me that 24 won't in  quality ?

Thank you
JodyG88

Abe R. Ration

• Abe R. Ration's lens and camera blog
Re: Sony A7II
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:56:01 am »

Assuming A7II and A7 have the same anti aliasing filter configuation, the filter is already weak and only unidirectional. Removing it would not gain much at all in resolution. Also removing it could be very difficult and there might be focusing issues. Also you would get more a bit more aliasing problems. On the other hand M-mount wides should work a bit better.

About 36 vs. 24 MP, the difference is minute, and unless you print big or crop heavily it's not that relevant.
Abe R. Ration
amateur photographer, amateur scientist, amaterur camera buff
http://aberration43mm.wordpress.com/

Jodyg88

Re: Sony A7II sharpness without AA filter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:59:06 pm »

Thank for your comment. I did not explane myself well. Most online reviews hails the A7R as the landscape camera. I'm a landscape/ night archtecaulal shooter. Long exposure too. I bought the R first and it was a lemon. I returned it for the A7 and went on vacation I needed a Camea. Love the images very much. I get home and the newly MII IS ON THE SHELF. So I treaded it for the newer model. I read some online reviews and I find about this AA filter which blurs the images for Morie. And the A7R has no AA filter so now I think the image are better because it has no AA FILTER.That why I want mine removed so I can have a landscape camera. Will my camera be a 24 mp A7R  if I get the filter removed. So I'm looking online for images comparisons. Any thought

shadowblade

Re: Sony A7II sharpness without AA filter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:49:03 pm »

Thank for your comment. I did not explane myself well. Most online reviews hails the A7R as the landscape camera. I'm a landscape/ night archtecaulal shooter. Long exposure too. I bought the R first and it was a lemon. I returned it for the A7 and went on vacation I needed a Camea. Love the images very much. I get home and the newly MII IS ON THE SHELF. So I treaded it for the newer model. I read some online reviews and I find about this AA filter which blurs the images for Morie. And the A7R has no AA filter so now I think the image are better because it has no AA FILTER.That why I want mine removed so I can have a landscape camera. Will my camera be a 24 mp A7R  if I get the filter removed. So I'm looking online for images comparisons. Any thought

In what way your A7r a lemon?

It's probably the best thing out there at the moment for landscape photography - the image quality of the D800e, and almost that of the D810 (no ISO 64 option) but with a better lens selection. The only exception is for star trails - Sony's lossy RAW format is terrible and can cause aliasing artifacts, AA filter or not. It really defeats the purpose of having a RAW format in the first place -if you're that concerned about file size, you shoot a downsized format or JPEG.

I'm in two minds about AA filters for landscape photography. For many scenes, their removal certainly does improve sharpness and contrast. On the other hand, you can sometimes get moire patterns in natural objects, especially grass, waves and ripples in water - and, for combined landscape and wildlife trips, fur.

Jodyg88

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:51 pm »

My A7R would not turn on , when it did the viewing methods never worked.

Did I understand you correctly that the A7 II produces images on par with the D800.

I guess my concern is would I gain enough image quality removing the Aa filter In my A7II to be on par with the A7R. 

Thank you
Jodyg88

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:03:01 pm »

I guess my concern is would I gain enough image quality removing the Aa filter In my A7II to be on par with the A7R. 

Well, if you measure image quality in terms of resolving capability…the answer is no. 36 > 24, AA filter or lack thereof. (If you measure image quality in terms of more or fewer aliasing artifacts you might get a different answer.) Is that megapixel difference meaningful given what you do with your photos? Dunno…that's something you'll have to consider and then answer.

You might want to wait & see what the next A7r-type model has to offer. I would not attempt to remove the AA filter from an A7 or A7ii.

-Dave-

Manoli

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 10:11:35 pm »

One members testimonial ..
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=97036.msg798846#msg798846

"  I have the 50 Cron and use it on an A7II. The results are wonderful out to the corners - very close to the SK 60XL on a Phase IQ back. "

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 10:44:35 pm »

There are a few companies that do Hotrodding. Not sure if they do it for the Sont A7. But google hotrod sensor
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Jodyg88

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:31:50 pm »

Hi their
What camera is the best thing out there I have the A7II AND WAS WONDERING if the removeal of the aa filter will put on par with the R version. I'm not concern about pixcels 24 is allot.

Thank you so much
Jody

shadowblade

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 09:09:05 pm »

Hi their
What camera is the best thing out there I have the A7II AND WAS WONDERING if the removeal of the aa filter will put on par with the R version. I'm not concern about pixcels 24 is allot.

Thank you so much
Jody

No it won't.

Most of the A7r's detail and sharpness comes from the fact that it's 36MP, not because it lacks an AA filter.

By removing the AA filter from the A7II, you'll gain a bit of sharpness but mostly just get more artifacts.

Jodyg88

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 09:19:55 pm »

I was of the understanding the the amount of pixcels = how much one wants to blow up an  images. So IYO how supior is the R vs MII

Thank you so much
Jody
Pages: [1]   Go Up