Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Green Tint on prints  (Read 8819 times)

Garnick

Re: Green Tint on prints
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 02:44:40 pm »

Gary, I think that Andrew's reference image printed just fine on that print/profile combination. That should eliminate the problem being with the printer. The issue seems to be related to his image file. It's so hard to troubleshoot over the internet.   - Jim

Yes, I tend to agree with your assessment.  Hence, my description of my post -- a TOTAL "shot in the dark".  I don't know, I think that came from my old darkroom days.  I love the smell of Hypo in the morning ;^)

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 05:14:55 pm »

So if I understand, this would indicate that the problem is the profile and not the image file.

As I've said, I strongly suspect this is a profiling problem, and from what you say here, this would appear to nail it to the Canson paper profile. However, for avoidance of all doubt, try printing another file altogether using this Canson profile and see whether you get the same green tint. Preferably, print a raw file straight through the Lightroom processing chain with this profile selected in the Print panel.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Fred Salamon

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 07:41:52 pm »

View both prints under a number of differing illuminants. Same cast and basic difference?

Print A - Canson Platine with Canson supplied icc profile.
Print B - Epson Ultra Premium Lustre, with Epson supplied icc profile.

I have viewed both prints under various types of illuminants, including a GTI color viewing station.
The Canson Platine still shows a green cast.

I should note that I have printed various different images on the Platine paper and all have a green cast. Which leads me to think that it is not the image file but rather an issue with the profile.
Other than having a custom profile done and seeing if that resolves the issue, what else can I do?
Hopefully I will hear back from Canson Tech Support soon, they had me send them the batch number from the paper. Might it be a defective batch?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »

I should note that I have printed various different images on the Platine paper and all have a green cast.
Except the color reference image?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Fred Salamon

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 08:00:43 pm »

Except the color reference image?

Including the color reference image that you posted.
I printed the reference image on both Platine and Premium Lustre.
When viewed side by side under various types of lighting, including the color viewing booth, the Platine has a green cast.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 08:03:51 pm »

I should note that I have printed various different images on the Platine paper and all have a green cast. Which leads me to think that it is not the image file but rather an issue with the profile.
Other than having a custom profile done and seeing if that resolves the issue, what else can I do?
Hopefully I will hear back from Canson Tech Support soon, they had me send them the batch number from the paper. Might it be a defective batch?

From what you say here and in your reply to Andrew it sounds like a paper or printing profile issue.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 08:06:07 pm »

From what you say here and in your reply to Andrew it sounds like a paper or printing profile issue.
I'm confused and should learn that remote support is difficult. I thought I read from the OP:
I do not see a green cast after downloading and printing that file.
All settings were the same, used the same icc profile as I did before.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 08:11:22 pm »

Fred, this is "unconventional" treatment but perhaps a useful diagnostic. Select an Epson profile from the profile folder accessible to you in Lightroom that reflects the version of Epson paper that would be closest to the Canson paper you are using. I know it will not be a perfect match, but for this purpose it doesn't matter. Then using that Epson profile, print one of those images that has a green tint with the Canson profile and see whether the green tint remains. Preferable to do this with a raw image file as I suggested before. If there is no more green tint, we have a pretty clear fix it is the Canson profile. If there is, well back to the drawing board.

Fred Salamon

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 08:29:08 pm »

Sorry for any confusion, my fault entirely.
I had followed up with this post.

Actually let me correct this, I printed the test file again this morning.
This time on Epson Ultra Premium Lustre with Epson's icc profile. Colors look good, no green cast.
When I compare the Epson Lustre print to the Canson Platine, the Platine shows a green cast.
So if I understand, this would indicate that the problem is the profile and not the image file.

Does the Camera Calibration setting in Lightroom have anything to do with this issue?
Currently, they are Process: 2012(Current) Profile ACR 4.4
All the sliders are set at zero

I have spoken to Canson Tech Support and they are looking into this issue.
Hopefully it is not operator error or something obvious that I have overlooked.

My continued gratitude to everyone for taking the time to help me with this problem.

Fred Salamon

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 02:50:28 am »

Here is the latest:

I printed several variations of Printer Evaluation Image v002prophoto.tif
-changed intent to relative - result green cast
-deleted and re-downloaded the Canson icc profile for Platine - result green cast
-printed on Platine paper using the icc profile for Canson Baryta paper - result green cast

A very helpful and patient gentleman from Canson tech support called me.
After much discussion, he walked me through printing the test image in Photoshop CC, using the same Canson icc profile for Platine-result no more green cast

All the printer settings were the same in Photoshop as they were in Lightroom.
I have Lightroom setup to export files to Photoshop as ProPhoto RGB 16 bit tiffs. Although, this time I opened the file directly in Photoshop from my hard drive, not through Lightroom. When I get more paper I will try exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop and see if the issue reappears. Hopefully there won't be any problems when I go from Lightroom to Photoshop.

Color management in Photoshop was set as follows: Document Profile :ProPhoto RGB     Color Handling:Photoshop Manages Color
Printer Profile: CIFA_Eps2200_Platine.icc    Rendering Intent: Perceptual   Black Point Compensation: on

I used my last sheet of Platine to print the test through Photoshop. Once I get more Platine I will print several images and report back.
Did I mention that the folks at Canson are sending me a replacement box of paper. I am very impressed with, and appreciative of, Canson's customer service.

There is apparently some disconnect with the profile and Lightroom. Perhaps due to the age of the profile and how it was made?

Do you think that having a custom profile made would solve this problem?

I would prefer to be able to print through Lightroom, so if anyone has any thoughts as to why it works through Photoshop and not through Lightroom, please share them.

Again many thanks to everyone who offered their help.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:01:51 am by Fred Salamon »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 10:23:38 am »

Photoshop and LR will produce identical output if everything handled correctly.

Fred Salamon

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 01:04:15 pm »

Photoshop and LR will produce identical output if everything handled correctly.

That is my understanding as well. Where else can I look to see what the problem might be?

Here are screenshots of my settings.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:06:19 pm by Fred Salamon »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up