Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom gamut vs "Native"?  (Read 8888 times)

Lundberg02

Re: Custom gamut vs "Native"?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 01:16:12 am »

yumichan is certainly arrogant and he is not the least but helpful if you have a real problem like this: I got a Dell U2413 wide gamut at an impossibly low price, and was influenced by the Dell (Photography Life) forum  and tft to go ahead and get the i1Display Pro, also at a decent discount, so that I could calibrate the internal LUT. But then I got out my abacus and figured out that using the Mac 8 bit output driving an 8 bit +FRC monitor to put values into a 14 bit LUT doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Then I discovered that read me of the DCCS says that "some Macs will crash and the only way to recover is to hook up a new monitor to reboot and then reconnect the U2413" I already knew that contacting Dell support to find out WHICH Macs is hopeless, since I have never spoken to a Dell tech who even knew that Dell makes monitors or that Macs can drive them. Frankly, I don't believe that Dell does make monitors, I think they're third party and rebranded. So I turned to Bruce Wright at X-Rite who has been helpful to me and in that forum. He referred the matter to the X-Rite Dell liaison guy for clarification, but Dell has never felt they have some splainin to do. I said , screw it, set the monitor to factory aRGB, which is low delta E if you believe the cal sheet, and packed away the i1Display Pro for use when Apple goes 10 bit (never, they don't care) and/or I get a 4k.

D Fosse

Re: Custom gamut vs "Native"?
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:52 pm »

A temperature of 6500K on the black body locus also defines the chromaticity on both axes.

Yes, I understand that, as long as it is defined as black body. The problem is that it usually isn't. This, for instance, is how Dell could get away with the infamous green/magenta issue that plagued the U2410 in particular (but also still crops up in other models).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up