Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R samples at flickr  (Read 36897 times)

voidshatter

Re: Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R samples at flickr
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 08:29:25 am »

Having made quite a few images with my IQ160 and Roddie 40mm HR and also some with a D800E and Zeiss 15mm, 14-24mm and 24mm PC-E and seen them side by side the Roddie and IQ160 image absolutely WHIPPED the D800E images. I really get the feel that the Roddie (at f5.6-f8) can handle a much higher res sensor. It is really a stunning lens. I mean, it shouldn't be a surprise given the fact that #1 its not cheap and #2 it does not have any focusing mechanism whatsoever. At least on the wide angle end of things (which is what I have been able to compare side by side) the Rodenstock glass can't be touched by any SLR lens.

The 5DS/R won't change that fact.

At longer focal lengths the differences are less (judging from what I have seen working with many different files). Where is the crossover? Id say around 70mm. Generally 55-85mm SLR lenses are really quite good below that they start to have issues. Why is that I don't know and don't care since im not in the business of designing lenses.

If I get my hands on a 5DS/R ill gladly post comparisons.    
I agree that IQ260+23HR wiped D800E+Zeiss 15mm/14-24mm, and IQ260+40HR wiped D800E+24mm PC-E. The only problem with the IQ260 is the (now relatively) poor dynamic range. For high contrast scenes, the D800E has more details in the shadow even with inferior glass and smaller sensor thanks to the much higher SNR. Bracketing the IQ260 is not viable for two reasons: a) cocking the copal 0 shutter would result in vibration disturbing subpixel alignments between exposures affecting sharpness in blended image; b) not suitable for long exposure of sunset/sunrise due to darkframe NR. After careful and extensive comparisons I had to give up the IQ260 as it makes overall inferior image quality compared against D800E so I had to get rid of the IQ260 and switch to the IQ250 just to catch up with the DR.

torger

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 08:31:20 am »

a) cocking the copal 0 shutter would result in vibration disturbing subpixel alignments between exposures affecting sharpness in blended image;

If that's a problem you should use a stitching HDR software like Lumariver HDR rather than just layering on top ;). I use that for my blending, and some minor subpixel errors is then no problem, and neither are minor movements as the equation can usually be solve with blend lines along long contrast areas.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:32:52 am by torger »

voidshatter

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:15 am »

If that's a problem you should use a stitching HDR software like Lumariver HDR rather than just layering on top ;). I use that for my blending, and some minor subpixel errors is then no problem, and neither are minor movements as the equation can usually be solve with blend lines along long contrast areas.
I remember we had this discussion before and due to the limitation of darkframe NR on CCD it is vital to take off the ND filter when exposing the foreground, making the distortion non-linear. I'll PM you a link for RAW files - would you be able to have a look this time (on the alignment issue)?  :)

Ken R

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2015, 08:58:09 am »

voidshatter:

Your dissatisfaction with the IQ260 is well known. Does not mean it is a bad product or that it has low Dynamic Range (it has MAYBE a stop less than the D810) in most dawn till dusk situations. It is just not for you I guess. Maybe digital backs are not for you either. The beauty of it all is that nowadays there are lot's of amazing choices out there, and now with the 5DS/R there will be even more. Can't wait for some real testing of those cameras.

Btw, where are you from?

torger

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2015, 08:58:54 am »

I remember we had this discussion before and due to the limitation of darkframe NR on CCD it is vital to take off the ND filter when exposing the foreground, making the distortion non-linear. I'll PM you a link for RAW files - would you be able to have a look this time (on the alignment issue)?  :)

Yes I'm downloading as we speak. I'll have a look... I just need to get some work done too today :-)

voidshatter

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2015, 09:04:31 am »

it (IQ260) has MAYBE a stop less than the D810 in most dawn till dusk situations.

True if you don't shoot long exposure, but then what's the point of not getting an IQ280/IQ180/Credo 80 instead?

If you shoot long exposure, then it's not just 1 stop less. It's as poor as (or even worse than) the current Canon, thanks to ISO 140 (actually ISO 200) in long exposure mode.

This is just another reason for people to care about the DR of the 5DSR.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:10:07 am by voidshatter »

chrismuc

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:58 am »

I was only comparing MTF measurements, not taking image circles into account.
As far as I know, the Otus MTF curves published by Diglloyd were not measured by him but provided by Zeiss. And as one can see, the Otus 85f1.4 tops at about 90% contrast at f4 while the Rodenstock 100f4 tops at a calculated 82% at f5.6 which would be below 80% if measured, I guess.
... and btw., due to the larger image circle than 24x36, this slight MTF advantage for the Otus would remain also up to a 44x33 sensor size, I guess:-)

Anyhow, I expect the Otuses and the Apo-Sonnar to greatly match the 4.1 um resolution requirement of the 5Ds(-R).

voidshatter

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2015, 09:34:10 am »

As far as I know, the Otus MTF curves published by Diglloyd were not measured by him but provided by Zeiss.
Then why is it slightly different from the official Zeiss document?

And as one can see, the Otus 85f1.4 tops at about 90% contrast at f4 while the Rodenstock 100f4 tops at a calculated 82% at f5.6 which would be below 80% if measured, I guess.
Where did you see 90%?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2015, 10:21:49 am »

voidshatter:

Your dissatisfaction with the IQ260 is well known. Does not mean it is a bad product or that it has low Dynamic Range (it has MAYBE a stop less than the D810) in most dawn till dusk situations. It is just not for you I guess. Maybe digital backs are not for you either. The beauty of it all is that nowadays there are lot's of amazing choices out there, and now with the 5DS/R there will be even more. Can't wait for some real testing of those cameras.

Btw, where are you from?

These is a lot to consider these days.  I am currently a 260 user but would rather have the DR of the 150/250/Credo 50.  From my work, the 260 at base iso 50 (some consider it 100 I am still not sure) will do an OK job on most shooting situations, as long as you don't need a fast shutter speed, say 1/60 or higher.  I use the 28 HR, 40 HR-W and 60XL mainly and use the CF on the 28mm and 60mm so this cuts between 2.0 and 2.5 stops of light.  I also use a Heliopan CF on the 40mm in low light situations as I feel it helps on noise in the shifts (12mm to 15mm).  However I still have situations where I missed a shift exposure and thus the shadows suffer.  I also can confirm that CCD love light.  It's just that simple so on a normal exposure where you have bright and shadow areas, the 260 will NOT pull in the details as well in the shadows.  C1 8 does help a lot over C1 7, but there are still times where I am looking at a shot and when I pull up the shadow areas, there is just mush.  Where as with a 250, you can pull up 2.5 stops almost black and still see useable details.  I have seen this with the DT Library testing and many test shots from different forums, manly from 50c shots. 

If you have no wind, and can live with around 1/8th to 1/30th max of a shutter speed, you can do wonderful work with a 260.  However if you push it to 200 iso to get to 1/125 or 1/250, then all bets tend to be off, in regards to shadows.  If you push the iso to 400, you will start to see pretty harsh overall loss in image quality, at least I do.  So, its not a great solution, as most tech Schneiders prefer to be in the F11 to F16 range and I find the Rrodenstocks I use do best in the F8 to F11 range, so you can't just open up the lens, you can but you start to suffer in overall DOF, again much more so with the Schneiders. 

Yes, sensor plus, will give you great 400 and 800, but at a 3/4 loss in resolution, so I to me that's a trigger I rarely pull. You just don't invest in that much back to only get 15MP. 

Where the 260 suffers, is long exposure, and for Phase One to say it will get 1 hour to me is a bit excessive.  You can shoot it 1 hour but you won't be using the image for very much as the total noise and stuck pixels are way off the scale.  This is not the way the P45+ worked as I have hundreds of 30 and 50 minute shots with it from night work and 30 to 40 10 to 15 minute shots and they are extremely clean, when taken at be iso of 50.  From my testing taking a 260 much past 10 minutes is going to cause a very hard push in noise and overall stuck pixels.  Phase may have made some internal non published changes, similar to how they fixed early P45+ cameras (mine was one of them), but so far I have not seen anything published. 

I am sure a new back will be announced this year from Phase, CCD or CMOS is anyone's guess.  If CMOS and full frame then even more issues may come out to the current lineup of tech lenses. 

From Void's testing with the 250, I feel that in most situations, the 12mm shifts are fine, and in many cases, 15mm is totally OK.  The extra DR in the shots is just amazing and in fact discouraging at the same time for a 260 owner, as currently there is no attractive way to move to a 250 without taking a huge loss.  I have pretty much realized I can live with the 1:3 crop and 50MP output. 

I also take a bit different tack to the CCD MF or CMOS MF vs a D810 with a good lens.  I am picky and spend a lot of time on my work, and a D810 with a 14-24 at 14mm F 8 will do a darn fine job corner to corner.  NO you will not be able to get to the same size as the output from the IQ180 or IQ260, but this is 80/60 MP vs 36MP.  That is just basic.  If you have to interpolate you always lose, always.  However the D810 output I print stands up very well to around 30 x 40 which is about the largest print I tend to make.  It totally compares with my MF in print sizes 12 x 18, 16 x 20, 18 x 24 and 20 x 30.  I just don't see much difference.  Any folks, it's only a print where this would matter as if you feel it makes a difference on webwork I don't agree.  The web is 72 dpi, net.  No two people have the same setup on their monitors, so you have no real idea what they are seeing.  This obviously may not be true if you are working with a graphic artist that understands how to view such work on the web, but the vast majority of folks don't, and don't want to take the time to learn.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Richard Osbourne

• Richard Osbourne Art Images
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2015, 05:12:32 am »

I have to agree that the IQ260 is very disappointing in low light. I had the P45+ and it excelled once the sun went down or before it came up. Saturated colours, low noise at ISO50, even on long exposures. The IQ260 basically sucks in that situation - weak colours, terrible shadow noise - to the point of destroying details in an image even at ISO140. And ISO200 and above are basically unusable. In good light, it's amazing, but even then I've noticed a greenish cast on many images that needs 2-4 points of magenta correction to look right. [It could be C1 v8 doing this as the daylight shots from other cameras (D800e, A7r, 1DsIII) have shown something similar when using Daylight WB.] So, I, for one, am really missing my P45+. I haven't fallen for the IQ260: it feels like a re-hash of a P65+ rather than new tech. A full-frame IQ250 might be the answer but only if it does low light well!

voidshatter:

Btw, where are you from?

These is a lot to consider these days.  I am currently a 260 user but would rather have the DR of the 150/250/Credo 50.  From my work, the 260 at base iso 50 (some consider it 100 I am still not sure) will do an OK job on most shooting situations, as long as you don't need a fast shutter speed, say 1/60 or higher.  I use the 28 HR, 40 HR-W and 60XL mainly and use the CF on the 28mm and 60mm so this cuts between 2.0 and 2.5 stops of light.  I also use a Heliopan CF on the 40mm in low light situations as I feel it helps on noise in the shifts (12mm to 15mm).  However I still have situations where I missed a shift exposure and thus the shadows suffer.  I also can confirm that CCD love light.  It's just that simple so on a normal exposure where you have bright and shadow areas, the 260 will NOT pull in the details as well in the shadows.  C1 8 does help a lot over C1 7, but there are still times where I am looking at a shot and when I pull up the shadow areas, there is just mush.  Where as with a 250, you can pull up 2.5 stops almost black and still see useable details.  I have seen this with the DT Library testing and many test shots from different forums, manly from 50c shots. 

If you have no wind, and can live with around 1/8th to 1/30th max of a shutter speed, you can do wonderful work with a 260.  However if you push it to 200 iso to get to 1/125 or 1/250, then all bets tend to be off, in regards to shadows.  If you push the iso to 400, you will start to see pretty harsh overall loss in image quality, at least I do.  So, its not a great solution, as most tech Schneiders prefer to be in the F11 to F16 range and I find the Rrodenstocks I use do best in the F8 to F11 range, so you can't just open up the lens, you can but you start to suffer in overall DOF, again much more so with the Schneiders. 

Yes, sensor plus, will give you great 400 and 800, but at a 3/4 loss in resolution, so I to me that's a trigger I rarely pull. You just don't invest in that much back to only get 15MP. 

Where the 260 suffers, is long exposure, and for Phase One to say it will get 1 hour to me is a bit excessive.  You can shoot it 1 hour but you won't be using the image for very much as the total noise and stuck pixels are way off the scale.  This is not the way the P45+ worked as I have hundreds of 30 and 50 minute shots with it from night work and 30 to 40 10 to 15 minute shots and they are extremely clean, when taken at be iso of 50.  From my testing taking a 260 much past 10 minutes is going to cause a very hard push in noise and overall stuck pixels.  Phase may have made some internal non published changes, similar to how they fixed early P45+ cameras (mine was one of them), but so far I have not seen anything published. 

I am sure a new back will be announced this year from Phase, CCD or CMOS is anyone's guess.  If CMOS and full frame then even more issues may come out to the current lineup of tech lenses. 

From Void's testing with the 250, I feel that in most situations, the 12mm shifts are fine, and in many cases, 15mm is totally OK.  The extra DR in the shots is just amazing and in fact discouraging at the same time for a 260 owner, as currently there is no attractive way to move to a 250 without taking a huge loss.  I have pretty much realized I can live with the 1:3 crop and 50MP output. 

I also take a bit different tack to the CCD MF or CMOS MF vs a D810 with a good lens.  I am picky and spend a lot of time on my work, and a D810 with a 14-24 at 14mm F 8 will do a darn fine job corner to corner.  NO you will not be able to get to the same size as the output from the IQ180 or IQ260, but this is 80/60 MP vs 36MP.  That is just basic.  If you have to interpolate you always lose, always.  However the D810 output I print stands up very well to around 30 x 40 which is about the largest print I tend to make.  It totally compares with my MF in print sizes 12 x 18, 16 x 20, 18 x 24 and 20 x 30.  I just don't see much difference.  Any folks, it's only a print where this would matter as if you feel it makes a difference on webwork I don't agree.  The web is 72 dpi, net.  No two people have the same setup on their monitors, so you have no real idea what they are seeing.  This obviously may not be true if you are working with a graphic artist that understands how to view such work on the web, but the vast majority of folks don't, and don't want to take the time to learn.

Paul

AreBee

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2015, 05:43:11 am »

All,

Is the so-called golden hour considered to be low light, insofar as it relates to digital backs?

Richard Osbourne

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2015, 06:14:43 am »

All,

Is the so-called golden hour considered to be low light, insofar as it relates to digital backs?

I would say the 'dark end' of golden hour is low light. The brighter part isn't a problem - e.g.. this:http://www.richardosbourne.com/latestimages/h19a37e17#h19a37e17

Here's an IQ260 low light shot: http://www.richardosbourne.com/latestimages/h7745237#h7745237

Vs. a P45+ low light shot: http://www.richardosbourne.com/latestimages/hcf288e2#hcf288e2

That may or may not show the difference clearly but I know I used to get excited after sunset / before sunrise when I had a P45+. With the IQ260 I know I'm going to be a little disappointed, and will have to work hard on the files.

AreBee

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2015, 06:46:48 am »

Richard,

Thanks. Would it be fair to say that in your opinion, IQ series CCD digital backs are suitable for use during the so-called golden hour...with caveats, or do you consider that statement overly conservative and it is only with dark/long exposure shots that these backs struggle?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2015, 06:59:05 am »

It's always a bit of a shock to read such statements a few years after the release of those backs because the initial feedbacks of users having just spent 30,000+ US$ are typically extremely positive in the weeks/months following purchase...

Cheers,
Bernard

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2015, 08:54:30 am »

I would say the 'dark end' of golden hour is low light. The brighter part isn't a problem - e.g.. this:http://www.richardosbourne.com/latestimages/h19a37e17#h19a37e17

Here's an IQ260 low light shot: http://www.richardosbourne.com/latestimages/h7745237#h7745237

Vs. a P45+ low light shot: http://www.richardosbourne.com/latestimages/hcf288e2#hcf288e2

That may or may not show the difference clearly but I know I used to get excited after sunset / before sunrise when I had a P45+. With the IQ260 I know I'm going to be a little disappointed, and will have to work hard on the files.

I don't think the two examples you show are very comparable. I used an IQ160 for a year as I had a loaner since I was instructing two PODAS landscape photo workshops in 2013. I found that I could lift shadows a lot without noise.

File number one is the edited version, number two unedited and the last a 100% crop. The shot was with the IQ160 f/11, 1/6s, ISO 50, 135mm using the 75-150 zoom lens (the old one).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:59:05 am by Hans Kruse »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2015, 09:35:04 am »

I don't think the two examples you show are very comparable. I used an IQ160 for a year as I had a loaner since I was instructing two PODAS landscape photo workshops in 2013. I found that I could lift shadows a lot without noise.

File number one is the edited version, number two unedited and the last a 100% crop. The shot was with the IQ160 f/11, 1/6s, ISO 50, 135mm using the 75-150 zoom lens (the old one).

Hans, nice shot, and a good example of pushing shadows with a 160.  I shot a 160 for almost 2 years before upgrading to the 260.  My 160 at times could a,so handle this type of a push.  However it could only be done in certain conditions, low humidity, and outdoor temps under 75 degrees. With prolonged all day use, I tended to find that the noise envelope increased considerably.  Again this is at base iso of 50.  If you needed iso 200 I believe that the shadow recovery would not have been as good.

I also feel that it's possible to get a "good" and "bad" back, in that certain backs seem to have better performance in low light/noise characteristics.  When my 160 had to go into Phase One for a repair, I received a loaner back, that definitely did not perform as well as mine, considerably so. 

I had hoped that the "technology" behind the new chip/controller in the 260, would somehow allow for better low light recovery than the 160, however in my work, I have found that it's no better and in some times seems worse.  Overall, I still feel that the 260 does not really perform that well in low light situations, even at base iso of 50 and that it's important to consider an exposure bracketing process, especially when shifts of 12mm or more are involved. 

The 260 should out perform a 160 on a "long" exposure of 10 minutes or less, but I just don't see it getting anywhere close to the performance of the P45+ in 30 minute to 50 single exposures. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Richard Osbourne

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2015, 10:57:13 am »

Unfortunately I can't post the RAW files right now. The difference would be very clear: the IQ260 files in those examples required a remarkable amount of saturation (50+points), clarity, levels, contrast, just to get something out of them. The P45+ I had to turn the saturation DOWN. I did little else other than WB (which it wasn't good at) adjustment and a bit of levels. That was the case most of the time, especially in low light work.

These IQ260 examples were at ISO 50 and ISO 100 respectively, both of which produce excellent results in good light conditions: at ISO 200, the files definitely show signs of falling apart a bit. And ISO 140 has something of a destructive noise reduction going on at the detail level in low light so I try to avoid it. I'm doing a long exposure shoot in London next week with a Lee Big Stopper so I can look at how the files hold up over several minutes.

I'll also be using a Sony A7R which I've found to have very good low-light and long-exposure colour, though it sometimes looks a little 'sickly' - usually just a WB issue. It also has wide dynamic range and noise-free shadows. A rumoured 50MP version is not going to get me away from the technical camera, despite the IQ260 limitations, but it's sounding very good for everything else. This new Canon's reported 11.8 EV dynamic range vs. the Sony's 14.8 is a significant difference - and a bit of a conundrum as I've still got a lot of Canon glass.

Atina

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2015, 11:07:58 am »

I wonder if torger or ErikKaffehr or eronald can measure the angle of the Sun in that IQ 260 low-light shot.

AreBee

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2015, 11:20:25 am »

Atina,

I wonder if torger or ErikKaffehr or eronald can measure the angle of the Sun in that IQ 260 low-light shot.

If Richard will provide the date and time the photo was shot I can provide the angle.

voidshatter

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2015, 01:08:00 pm »

When you can't agree with dxomark you would need to figure it out by yourself. A side by side comparison is all what you needed. If you ever compared the IQ260 against a D800E side by side you might be significantly disappointed as I was. The IQ260 even has inferior dynamic range than the D4S has when doing long exposure. Download the RAW files if you don't believe me.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/52844-backlight-landscape-photography-realized-say-no-silhouette.html#post616023
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up