Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Setting for JPEG Camera display-5DIII, to get best histogram and RAW capture

<< < (2/8) > >>

AlterEgo:

--- Quote from: SZRitter on February 24, 2015, 12:46:29 pm ---Lie or not, it can give you valuable information for troubleshooting exposure on the fly. You can see if you are pushing towards under/over exposure, or if your scene may push the boundaries of your sensor's dynamic range. But, learning if you can blow the highlights, and by how much, on the histogram is a camera dependent thing, so experiment. Just remember, they are more of guidelines, not rules.

--- End quote ---

cameras with blinkies/zebra in EVF/LV can typically be tuned (if you sacrifices good colors in EVF/LV by using UniWB, flat tone curve, etc) to show clipping in raw channels with not worse than 1/3 EV precision... even w/o true raw histogram

jferrari:

--- Quote from: SZRitter on February 24, 2015, 12:46:29 pm ---You can see if you are pushing towards under/over exposure,
--- End quote ---

Relatively moot if you're shooting RAW. Ever hear of ETTR.     - Jim

Hans Kruse:

--- Quote from: ThomasR99 on February 12, 2015, 10:10:11 pm ---Hi, all, thanks for stopping by the beginners' area to help with this.

I believe I read somewhere in the past that to get a histogram display that best matches the RAW image capture, saturation, sharpening and/or contrast should be set to levels below 'default' or the middle of the available range on the menu.  I can no longer recall when/where I read that, and if others think it's still true or not.  For some time I'd set these all 2-3 clicks/marks/notches (however you define it) below middle on the menu bar.  Naturally, this made my JPEG's somewhat 'bland' looking, and I needed to do almost as much work to make them presentable for others to see on my Flickr site as I would have if I'd just used the RAW image.  I do use an ETTR method so they tend to be a bit washed-out as well.

So, the questions are, how do you set your camera for JPEG preview (and the displayed histogram) in order to assist you in optimizing the RAW capture?

I mostly shoot in 'neutral' and 'monochrome' picture styles.  And as long as I"m able to, I will continue to post-process in Aperture.

Thanks for your time.  Links to articles discussing this for me (and others) to review are welcome as well.

--- End quote ---

If you want to optimize your exposure on the 5D mkIII to avoid noise and banding and you shoot at low ISO, then do the following:

Bracket your shots with 1 stop between them and as many as needed so have at least one exposure with blinkies (which means it is potentially overexposed) and at least one thay is not blinking. Shoot RAW, of course. Then in Lightroom or ACR choose the most exposed that does not have overexposure warnings. You check that in Lightroom in the develop module by turning on the highlight clipping indicators. You can use the shortcut J.

Bracketing can be done in continous shooting when there is light enough to avoid blur from mirror slap or shake if you handhold. On the tripod shoot in live view and continous.

Don't waste your time on histograms in the camera as they are not optimal. You need to do the work on selecting the best exposure in pp with this approach but it is worth it, if you want optimal IQ from the Canon. You can also blend exposures afterwards if the dynamic range is too large to avoid noise and banding in then shadows.

digitaldog:

--- Quote from: Hans Kruse on February 25, 2015, 02:56:34 pm ---Don't waste your time on histograms in the camera as they are not optimal.

--- End quote ---
Exactly! Something many of us did with film, long before we could imagine and worse, depend on a camera Histogram. A Histogram isn't necessary to produce optimal exposure and it's a heck of a lot more forgiving then trying to nail transparency film exposure.

It would be nice IF the camera manufactures would give us a Histogram that wasn't a fat lie when we expect to shoot raw, but that's apparently not on their radar.

SZRitter:

--- Quote from: AlterEgo on February 25, 2015, 11:36:25 am ---cameras with blinkies/zebra in EVF/LV can typically be tuned (if you sacrifices good colors in EVF/LV by using UniWB, flat tone curve, etc) to show clipping in raw channels with not worse than 1/3 EV precision... even w/o true raw histogram

--- End quote ---

Basically, achieving the same thing. I prefer a histogram over blinkies, but to each their own.

--- Quote from: jferrari on February 25, 2015, 01:26:06 pm ---Relatively moot if you're shooting RAW. Ever hear of ETTR>     - Jim

--- End quote ---

RAW still has a point it clips. You need to be even more conscious of this fact when doing ETTR as you are purposefully pushing towards that upper clip point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version