Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the Real Landscape Photography Please Stand Up ?  (Read 113210 times)

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: Will the Real Landscape Photography Please Stand Up ?
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 01:45:58 pm »

Justinr,

Why is that important? Must a photo depict something unfamiliar to be of interest to us?

Personally speaking the answer is yes.  It's often a comfort to confine oneself  to the limits of familiarity and be happy there, which is fair enough, but at other times we need some motivation to engage in viewing a photo rather than just looking at it. For me that motivation will come from the anticipation of a new experience and with the avalanche of images that has been let loose by digital recording and transmission those moments are becoming increasingly rare.

AreBee

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 01:53:51 pm »

Isaac,

...was there any kind-of agreement in your small sample of expectations?

Yes. The principal factor that would determine if a person purchased a landscape photo is simply if they sufficiently liked it.

For the majority, prior knowledge that a landscape photo had been 'enhanced' would make no difference. For the minority, it would...but not enough to not purchase the print if they liked it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:00:12 pm by AreBee »

AreBee

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 02:59:32 pm »

Isaac,

Sorry for these lazy questions, but: Any preference expressed for scenes they had heard-of (basic name recognition), and scenes they were personally familiar with? Or really just a matter of visual appeal?

It's no problem Isaac. My questions were framed in terms of visual appeal, as follows:

You are in a shop and see a landscape photo for sale that you really like and are considering purchasing.

Q1 - Do you expect the landscape photo to represent reality, as you would have witnessed it first-hand had you been there at the time the photo was taken? In other words, do you expect the photo to not have been 'enhanced'?
A1 - Only one person expected the view to look like what they would have witnessed first-hand. For everyone else, the consensus was that increasing contrast, saturating colour etc. were acceptable 'enhancements' but removing or adding trees, rocks and the like was unacceptable. I never thought to ask if the latter would have been the straw that broke the camel's back and caused them to not purchase the print.

Q2 - If you knew that the photo had been 'enhanced' would you value it less? Would you think less of the photographer?
A2 - The same person indicated that they would be disappointed that they would not have witnessed such a view first-hand, but if they sufficiently liked the print then they would still purchase it. For everyone else, they would not have valued the photo or photographer any less.

Q3 - If you knew the photo had been 'enhanced' would you still purchase it?
A3 - As stated in my previous post the answer was consistently "yes", albeit was ultimately dependent on the degree of 'enhancement', as described above.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:01:29 pm by AreBee »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 03:03:40 pm »

A painting is a better painting than a photograph can be; and a photograph is a better photograph than a painting can be.

Brilliant, Isaac! Just brilliant.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

NancyP

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 03:25:34 pm »

There are over-photographed scenes and over-processed photos that may have caught our interest at first, but now are banal.

I think that one important question is, does the viewer have any emotional response other than "pretty - and let's see the next photo". Naturally the emotional response varies from viewer to viewer. If the photographerdid not have an emotional response when taking the picture, the odds are good that the viewer isn't going to respond. One of the things about much amateur landscape photography done on "tours" is that the photographers don't really have a detailed knowledge of the sites over seasons and different weather patterns. I am trying to do what I can with familiar-to-me terrain, where I have "favorite" sites.

Isaac

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 03:55:41 pm »

My questions were framed in terms of visual appeal, as follows…

Thanks, it's difficult to find a quarrel with people buying pictures because they like them.

I think that one important question is, does the viewer have any emotional response other than "pretty - and let's see the next photo".

What about the response "Pretty! I want to see that photo every day!" ?

RSL

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 03:58:32 pm »

Russ, I think you're taking a somewhat limited and old fashioned view of landscape. One of the things landscape seeks to do is to capture a sense on the sublime, and paintings arguably have a leg up there.

But there is more to it. Gursky's Rhine is landscape and gains a great deal of its effect from the fact that it begins with a real thing. As a painting it would be nothing. As digital art based on a photograph, it has something.

In general, photography has that core strength, that there was a real thing in front of the lens. Whenever the power of a piece relies on that, photography wins.

And that can include landscape.

Hi Andrew, Well, I'm taking an old-fashioned view of landscape because at nearly 85 I'm just plain old-fasshioned. But. . .

As far as a sense of the sublime is concerned, I keep coming back to Bierstadt's picture because to me it illustrates the shortcomings of photography as a landscape tool. I've spent the past fifty years in the Rocky Mountains, and I've shot – I don't know – probably thousands of pictures that include mountains. I know from experience that it's possible to shoot a picture of the mountains that'll convince people you were there, since, as you point out, the camera has to be there in order for it to make an image of the mountains, but though people looking at that picture understand that the mountains are real, in the end you can't convey the sense of the sublime that's there in the mountains.

The thing I've never been able to do is convey the way the mountains feel as they relate to the foreground. . . the way the combination of the two can impact your soul. I've attached a picture of Pikes Peak that the Manitou Springs Chamber uses on the cover of their brochure. The mountain rises up properly, but what looks like a sharp ridge in the foreground is actually a fairly gentle feature behind my neighbor's house. I used a long lens to get the kind of reach-for-the-heavens mountain effect that Bierstadt got in his Sierra, and in this picture the foreground distortion doesn't matter because people who look at it haven't a clue about the real thing. It doesn't matter anyway since the mountain, alone, is the subject of the picture. But Bierstadt was able to combine a wonderful pastoral scene with a soul-touching rendition of the mountains. There's no way you could do that with a camera, and yet, in the mountains, I've often seen and felt exactly what comes across from Bierstadt's painting. That's a strength that always escapes the camera's “real thing” rendition.

What do you think of Constable's “Hay Wain?” I'm sure the house was the real thing, and I'm sure the wagon was the real thing, and I'm sure the farmer and the dog and the fields and the trees and the clouds all were real things. But I'm also sure that they didn't  come together the way the picture has them, and I'm sure they didn't hold their positions while Constable painted the scene. Yet, I suspect that if you lived in that place that painting might represent reality better than any photograph.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:00:54 pm by RSL »

amolitor

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 04:18:25 pm »

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind, Russ, that paintings can do things that photographs cannot. I am also fine with treating landscape as largely about the sublime, especially with mountains! Ansel Adams spent his life working on how to do that thing that painters do, with local contrast adjustments (as painters do) but without the malleability of perspective that painters enjoy.

Paintings (and photos) can and often do "read" as reality, when in fact they look nothing like it. I think this is at least closely allied to the notion that a picture (or either sort) can evoke a very strong sense of what the scene is Actually Like, without being literal. In fact, I think being literal is a mistake, and has a much harder time of it. This is kind of your point, right?

A loosely related example:

If an actor wants to produce a naturalistic performance, they emphatically cannot stomp out onto the stage and "act natural". Indeed, it is apparently very very very hard to produce a really good naturalistic performance on stage, and it requires a tremendous amount of very subtle artifice. I am not an actor, but I've asked acting teachers!

AreBee

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 04:51:52 pm »

Andrew,

Ansel Adams spent his life working on how to do that thing that painters do, with local contrast adjustments (as painters do) but without the malleability of perspective that painters enjoy.

It goes far farther than that.

Painters have complete freedom to create an image - they start with a blank canvas and add to it. Landscape photographers are relatively constrained by comparison - they start with what exists in front of them and subtract from it.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 06:43:29 pm »

I guess the point of the article is that we are now saturated with iconic landscape images that say 20 years ago were more mysterious.  But landscape photography was quite different in the 60’s and 70’s when photographers were also preservationists and landscape photography was more of a life style.  Today’s depiction of landscape photographs on the web also shows how detached we are from the natural world.  We all have trouble seeing anything else other than the same sunset.  Still, I like to photograph icons because they typically get amazing light and they are what I most typically give away or sell.  On a more personal level landscape photography forces me to go outside and explore for hours or even days.  In some ways we have just scratched the surface and are ready to see the forest through the trees.  Now that digital photography has exploded, there is a herd mentality when it comes to landscapes.  I think this stems from wanting to replicate others but also not knowing how to explore or look at light.   Maybe landscape photography is best viewed as groups of photos that express a sense of place.  These might include icons but also should include the less obvious. 
Also there was an earlier comment that Yosemite doesn’t really look the way it does in photographs.  Well if you spend enough time eg. Days /Years, one will eventually see the colorful scene.  I have seen colors in the Sierra Nevada  that were so saturated that I was frustrated that it didn’t look real – but it was.  You will not see this by driving to Inspiration Point at noon with the family. 
I must admit that I sometimes question why I am so focused on making landscape photographs when there are already millions of images out there.  I now do it for myself and my friends.  For me it is a meditative process that takes some planning and time outside and people who live close to me like identifying less obvious compositions that they may see every day. 

Isaac

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »

I am also fine with treating landscape as largely about the sublime, especially with mountains!

Brief History of the Landscape Genre

Ansel Adams spent his life working on how to do that thing that painters do, with local contrast adjustments (as painters do) …

What specifically shows Ansel Adams "working on how to do that thing that painters do" rather than working on photography as one of the visual arts?

Paintings (and photos) can and often do "read" as reality, when in fact they look nothing like it.

12 lines on a flat surface are "read" as a 3 dimensional cube, when in fact…

NancyP

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 07:36:25 pm »

My nature (landscape, large-field astro, macro, critter) photography is generally an excuse to go outside, get some exercise, get some peace of mind, try to document something memorable or at least document organisms unfamiliar to me and read about them. When I am in photography mode, I look more intensely at the scenery, organisms, etc. It's like MSG for hiking. I like to assemble a set of photos for a particular site, I think that having 5 related photos is enough to give others a flavor of the site. The number "5" is because our nature photo club has member's photo session every month, and 5 is the number each person can contribute.

AreBee

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2015, 04:30:09 am »

HSakols,

Today’s depiction of landscape photographs on the web also shows how detached we are from the natural world.

How so?

We all have trouble seeing anything else other than the same sunset.

I have yet to see the same sunset twice.

...I like to photograph icons because they typically get amazing light...

More so than non-icons? How so?

AreBee

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2015, 06:42:32 am »

Russ,

I know from experience that it's possible to shoot a picture of the mountains that'll convince people you were there, since, as you point out, the camera has to be there in order for it to make an image of the mountains, but though people looking at that picture understand that the mountains are real, in the end you can't convey the sense of the sublime that's there in the mountains.

What say you about the attached image, of the Trango Towers in the Karakoram, Pakistan? Credit: Colin Prior.

stamper

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2015, 07:59:31 am »

Coin Prior's abilities are probably way beyond any of the members here and none of us can possibly hope to emulate him. No point in trying imo. :)

IanB

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2015, 08:52:53 am »

What do you think of Constable's “Hay Wain?” I'm sure the house was the real thing, and I'm sure the wagon was the real thing, and I'm sure the farmer and the dog and the fields and the trees and the clouds all were real things. But I'm also sure that they didn't  come together the way the picture has them, and I'm sure they didn't hold their positions while Constable painted the scene. Yet, I suspect that if you lived in that place that painting might represent reality better than any photograph.

I do appreciate your point, but this might not actually be the best example - Willy Lott's cottage is still there, and remarkably similar to Constable's painting. It's actually one of the most irritatingly over-photographed places in England...  ;D

This makes the point well: https://parodiesandvariations.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/constable-the-hay-wain-willy-lotts-cottage/

Maybe that's another aspect to this discussion, though.

RSL

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:03 am »

Russ,

What say you about the attached image, of the Trango Towers in the Karakoram, Pakistan? Credit: Colin Prior.

Hi, Rob, It's a fine shot of the rocks, but that's not my point. As I showed, I can make Pikes Peak reach for the sky with a long lens, but anything in the foreground, like Bierstadt's lake with deer, would be squashed into a dribble. With painting you can exaggerate linear perspective to change the feel of the scene. With a camera, you're screwed. You can use a short lens and emphasize the lake and the deer, leaving the mountains reduced to humps, or you can use a long lens and get the reverse effect. You can't have it both ways. In painting you can have your cake and eat it too.

My point is that reality often feels less real than artistic interpretation. To me the mountains are a classic example, but there are plenty of other examples.

Isaac

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2015, 01:24:47 pm »

I imagine that Ugo Cei's complaints would also apply to Bierstadt's pictures, and some would urge that we not push the shiny-new cadmium yellow slider all the way.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:27:58 pm by Isaac »

RSL

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2015, 01:39:42 pm »

To use that universal Canadian expression, Isaac; Eh?

Isaac

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2015, 04:28:33 pm »

Today’s depiction of landscape photographs on the web also shows how detached we are from the natural world.  We all have trouble seeing anything else other than the same sunset.
How so?

Too busy looking for the formulaic scene to see what's before us?

...I like to photograph icons because they typically get amazing light...
More so than non-icons? How so?

An open aspect, orientation and climate (how the scenes were noticed and selected in the first place).

I have seen colors in the Sierra Nevada  that were so saturated that I was frustrated that it didn’t look real – but it was.

Yes, the colors can be unbelievably lurid ;-)

In an Art Issues editorial, Rebecca Solnit wrote, 'Yosemite Valley, in its most usual condition, is a green or brown landscape with indifferent air quality." She went on to describe Galen Rowell as one of those wretched photographers "who use colored lenses to depict a souped-up, hot rod-bright world." Poor Rebecca must never have gotten up early enough to see alpenglow at dawn or to see the natural features crystallize during the clearing of a storm when the atmospheric perspective taught in art school vanishes in the absence of haze.

p189 Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography

Sometimes I see ... effects that I know will not appear believable on film because they will be much more spectacular in a photograph than what I am seeing with my eyes. In those cases I take great care to maintain visual sea level by introducing some sort of normal subject matter as a point of reference. Take, for example, a telephoto of a person silhouetted against an underexposed mountain face at dawn. The intense red colors may appear as if they have been heavily filtered, and the black silhouette may look like a montage of two images or a cutout introduced in a copy camera. By including other neutral ... effects in the image, it becomes more believable. Blue sky above the peak or blue shadows in the foreground show that the scene is not filtered. Shadows that connect with the silhouette make it appear more real.

Mountain Light
p202
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up