Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the Real Landscape Photography Please Stand Up ?  (Read 113230 times)

Iluvmycam

Re: Will the Real Landscape Photography Please Stand Up ?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 01:03:35 pm »

I've never sold a photo in my life and don't intend to ever try.

That said, I do pay attention.

Some people sell pictures. A lot of commercial photography is selling pictures. Pictures of the client, pictures of the client's products, pictures of the Grand Canyon, pictures of the wedding.

At the other end of the spectrum you're selling yourself, and a vision. Ansel Adams wasn't selling pictures of Half Dome, he was selling Adams' Idea of Half Dome.

High end wedding photographers are not selling a better version of the same old photos, they're selling their own vision of your wedding. Their market is much smaller than the commodity wedding photo market, but they can make a heck of a lot more money. And so on.

So even if you're purely out for the money, consider going up market and selling a vision.

This is not to denigrate commodity photography. Those folks are like rice farmers: hard workers, skilled, serving a recognized need. I eat a lot of rice. I love rice. I don't want to be a rice farmer, though. That's hard work!

I had 250+ photos in Wiki Commons I donated to them for 'educational and editorial use only' - no commercial use. Many of the photos  were rare, unique and hi res.

Compare my red light work to what they have on file to see what I am talking about.

http://dewallenrld.tumblr.com/

They deleted them all as I would not release commercial rights.

Sometimes photography can be hard to give away even for free.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:05:33 pm by iluvmycam »

Iluvmycam

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 01:04:28 pm »

Stefan,

From the article:

"...almost everything has already been photographed in the best light."

False.

"...yet, after having seen the slideshow roll around three or four times, I was disgusted and wanted to throw my jug of beer at the screen"

The eye quickly becomes fatigued with the kind of images the author describes.

When the author asks "Will the Real Landscape Photography Please Stand Up?", what he means is: Please will landscape photographers start making their photos look realistic?

My specialty is photographing in the worst light...and still making something of it.

AreBee

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 01:41:48 pm »

iluvmycam,

My specialty is photographing in the worst light...and still making something of it.

A photo with a strong composition and poor light will be a compelling photo...it just wont be the best it can be. Conversely, great light and a weak composition will only ever return a poor photo with nice light.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 02:04:08 pm »

... Please will landscape photographers start making their photos look realistic?

Why? Reality is overrated. Anybody can see reality, few can see "what else is there." Reality is, more often than not, chaotic, banal, mediocre, or outright butt-ugly. It is the beauty that we seek to find or, if necessary, to extract from that. Been doing it from the dawn of the mankind (searching for beauty, that is).

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 02:18:59 pm »

The responses in the comments to the original blog post seem more interesting.

Ugo Cei: My dislike actually stems from the fact that the processing is done to appeal to the most obvious and common taste, maybe.

Images that are liked by many people, are liked by many people because they show what is liked by many people.

The author isn't being curmudgeonly, he's just insisting that he's different and special.

Ugo Cei: What this is is a call for help: Now that I’ve decided to move away from what I don’t like anymore, what do I do?

The author's insisting that he's different and special, but he doesn't know how he's different and special.

'You see, the extraordinary thing about photography is that it's a truly popular medium... But this has nothing to do with the art of photography even though the same materials and the same mechanical devices are used. Thoreau said years ago, "You can't say more than you see." No matter what lens you use, no matter what the speed of the film is, no matter how you develop it, no matter how you print it, you cannot say more than you see. That's what that means, and that's the truth.'   Paul Strand, Aperture 19(1), 1974.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 02:27:56 pm »

iluvmycam,

A photo with a strong composition and poor light will be a compelling photo...it just wont be the best it can be. Conversely, great light and a weak composition will only ever return a poor photo with nice light.

I agree and therefore what to strive for is a strong composition, great light, great, unique and interesting scene captured perfectly at the right moment in time and then post processed in a way to transmit that to the viewer in the best way.

Such pictures will typically make their way to the top of the 500px landscape page. There are also others that do not have that quality. The list is only as good as what is produced at the time, the taste of those who vote and how serious they are about it.

AreBee

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »

Slobodan,

Why? Reality is overrated. Anybody can see reality, few can see "what else is there." Reality is, more often than not, chaotic, banal, mediocre, or outright butt-ugly. It is the beauty that we seek to find or, if necessary, to extract from that. Been doing it from the dawn of the mankind (searching for beauty, that is).

I'm sorry to learn that your reality is overrated.

I wrote "realistic", not "reality".

Isaac,

Images that are liked by many people, are liked by many people because they show what is liked by many people.

This tells us nothing about the longevity of such photos, in terms of how long their owners will hang them.

amolitor

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 02:55:37 pm »

When talking about photos looking real, we usually conflate a literal notion of looking real, and the idea that a photo can read as real.

Adams, as usual, is canonical here. His photos read as real, but are wildly not. Even discounting the lack of color, the tonal relationships are often not even close to reality.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 02:59:41 pm »

... I wrote "realistic", not "reality"...

Would it be totally unrealistic to expect that "looking realistic" would have anything to do with reality?

AreBee

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 03:13:10 pm »

Slobodan,

Would it be totally unrealistic to expect that "looking realistic" would have anything to do with reality?

Not at all.

Perhaps "believable" better describes what I meant.

Isaac

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 04:35:10 pm »

Perhaps "believable" better describes what I meant.

Suspension of disbelief.

Isaac

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 04:44:35 pm »

This tells us nothing about the longevity of such photos, in terms of how long their owners will hang them.

Indeed, it doesn't tell us that they won't continue to like those images year-after-year.

AreBee

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 04:58:09 pm »

Isaac,

Suspension of disbelief.

No. Non-photographers tend to expect what is portrayed in a landscape photo to be a representation of what they would have seen with their own eyes had they taken the place of the camera, hence the furore over 'photoshopped' images.

Indeed, it doesn't tell us that they won't continue to like those images year-after-year.

I don't deny it.

AreBee

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 05:09:53 pm »

Isaac,

Would those be the non-photographers who've grown-up with Instagram?

I don't discriminate one from the other.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 05:50:54 pm »

... No. Non-photographers tend to expect what is portrayed in a landscape photo to be a representation of what they would have seen with their own eyes had they taken the place of the camera, hence the furore over 'photoshopped' images.

No. Once again, what general public expects from a landscape photography (or photography in general, bar documentary) is escape from that dreaded reality in front of  "their own eyes." They want ART (hence the success of Instagram). "Furor" over photoshopped images!? Among non-photographers!? The only furor comes from "purist" photographers. General public considers it art and loves it. Has it occurred to anyone that ART is a crucial ingredient in ARTIFICIAL? Art is the opposite of reality.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 05:54:42 pm »

No. Once again, what general public expects from a landscape photography (or photography in general, bar documentary) is escape from that dreaded reality in front of  "their own eyes." They want ART (hence the success of Instagram). "Furor" over photoshopped images!? Among non-photographers!? The only furor comes from "purist" photographers. General public considers it art and loves it. Has it occurred to anyone that ART is a crucial ingredient in ARTIFICIAL? Art is the opposite of reality.

+1!

AreBee

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 06:08:59 pm »

Slobodan,

No. Once again, what general public expects from a landscape photography (or photography in general, bar documentary) is escape from that dreaded reality in front of  "their own eyes." They want ART (hence the success of Instagram). "Furor" over photoshopped images!? Among non-photographers!? The only furor comes from "purist" photographers. General public considers it art and loves it. Has it occurred to anyone that ART is a crucial ingredient in ARTIFICIAL? Art is the opposite of reality.

Apparently we will have to agree to disagree. :)

amolitor

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 06:28:13 pm »

But surely part of the appeal of a beautiful landscape is the idea that there is a real place that is like that?

The more thoughtful viewer might distinguish between is like that and looks like that.

amolitor

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 06:29:23 pm »

Re: Adams for instance.

Yosemite is like that. But it doesn't look like that.

Isaac

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 02:17:50 pm »

Apparently we will have to agree to disagree.

Given the topic is landscape photography; what furore over 'photoshopped' images, by non-photographers, do you have in mind?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:20:45 pm by Isaac »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up