Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting bored with current Landscape  (Read 47086 times)

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
Getting bored with current Landscape
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:17:03 am »

I've been doing some research online trying to find landscape photographers that are producing interesting work, and I'm not finding much?  I'm SOOOO tired of this 'Candy Rush' work I'm seeing everywhere like Peter Lik, Jim Patterson, Marc Adams,  and etc...  I'm not saying it's bad work but I'm sick of seeing the same type of images from all the same places.  So I'd be happy to here peoples advise of some landscape photographers I should explore that are doing interesting work.
Thanks

www.jayhemphill.com
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:30:35 am by jhemp »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Getting bored with current Landscape
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:17:55 am »

You should be grateful for the "Candy Rush" style. It allows your style to stand out (a compliment).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:44:05 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

jhemp

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:47:42 am »

Thanks Slobodan Blagojevic!  I guess it just seems like the landscape work I'm seeing is in either two camps.  'Candy Rush' style landscape images which are no doubt beautiful, and then I see landscape work on the complete other side of the spectrum thats very conceptual and in my opinion stale.   Some of my fishing in this post is to start a conversation about the current state of landscape photography as a 'Fine Art'.  These are issues I'm dealing with in my own work,  where do landscape artist's fit in?? 

Iluvmycam

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:05:47 am »

I looked at your portfolio. Very nice, clean work. I especially liked the BW toning and rodeo pix. I'd tell you forget worrying about other landscapers that much. You have enough talent on your own. Good luck!

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »

Well. The guys like Peter Lik and Marc Adamus are making pictures to sell. Popped colors in one or two palettes (often blue/purple matched with orange/yellow) are what sells. Popped to catch the eye, narrow palettes to fit in with your Decorating Scheme at home. They haven't got a concept other than "pretty! bright! marketable!" and that's almost certainly on purpose.

Ultimately all photography is conceptual. If you can shoot it, I can duplicate it. Sometimes, I admit, only with heroic effort, and I'm never going to get the clouds literally the same. But the thing you bring as a photographer is not, ultimately, an image, but an idea. The commercial landscape guys have a concept, but it's pretty thin: colorful! sells well!

I like your photos, generally, but I'm not seeing any real consistency. You're pretty clearly looking for individual shots that are "good", whatever that means to you, not trying to create a coherent body of work.

My approach to everything, these days, is entirely conceptual, but perhaps not in the negative way you mean. If I were to shoot landscapes, which I don't, I would look at the landscape and try to imagine what it means to me, or how it could be re-imagined to mean something else. I might envision it in a literal way as a deadly arid desert, or a fecund rain forest teeming with life. I might imagine it as a post-apocalyptic hellscape. Then, from that concept, I work toward some pictures that try to encapsulate, to present, to show variations on, that idea.

The result doesn't have to be weird looking, the result could appear at first glance as purely a set of good representational landscapes. They might also be blurry black and white messes, depending on what approach I take. The whole collection, as a whole, should clarify the underlying idea, though.

Ideally. It always works *for* *me* but perhaps not for one other soul on earth.

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 02:31:08 pm »

I guess it just seems like the landscape work I'm seeing is in either two camps.

Two audiences.

And as Susan Kismaric, curator of photography at the Museum of Modern Art, wryly observed, "Large color photographs decorate; small black-and-white photographs don't decorate."

I make the work, and at the time I have absolutely no idea why anybody would be interested in my serial photographs of rockfalls - it baffles me.

jhemp

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 03:04:36 pm »

Thanks for the replies! 

Amolitor,

Thats my biggest issue in my own personal work I'm trying to deal with right now, creating a cohesive body of work.  I'm all over the place, and cannot even answer the most basic question sincerely  "Why do I shoot landscapes" or "why do I photograph"  So right now I'd like to put some energy into reading about other contemporary photographers, primarily landscape, that are producing significant work.  Richard Misrach, John sexton, Ansel Adams have always been an inspirations for me, but I'm just curious if I'm missing anyone else?

It gets hard for me to separate my commercial work, that pays the bills, from my personal work that feeds my soul.  I've thought about creating two separate websites of my work.  One site dedicated to my personal vision (whatever the F#$k that is???) and the other for commercial work.  I dunno?

The most important thing I think is to define my personal work and vision.  I'm close!

jay

elliot_n

brianrybolt

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 04:12:29 am »

Look at the landscape work of Mario Giacomelli.  Unfortunately he died a few years ago but he had his own indelible style and beautiful images.
Brian

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »

Read this:

Thanks for mentioning Landmark: The Fields of Landscape Photography -- at first glance, it certainly looks interesting.

jhemp

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 07:15:15 pm »

Thanks for the heads up on the book 'Landmark'.  I've almost finished reading it, great book.  Nice to see some different work, and some of it I really like! 

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 03:34:52 pm »

Beautiful work Jay.
The Candyscapes are certainly what is selling right now, that and the "Dusseldorf School" of ultra large prints.  Good luck and really enjoyed your website.

Dave
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

Isaac

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 12:54:42 pm »

Thanks for the heads up on the book 'Landmark'.  I've almost finished reading it, great book.  Nice to see some different work, and some of it I really like!

One obvious difference, between Landmark: The Fields of Landscape Photography and the photographs in LuLa forums, is that - more than 40% of the photographs in Landmark seem to have been taken from some kind-of flying camera platform.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 03:14:25 pm »

Jay  I really like your work.  It's varied.  So whats wrong with that?  Why do people feel they have to "box" themselves into some sort of artificial theme, or style?  There seems to be a "band wagon" effect that everyone claims to want to get on.   As if you don't have a style, you're not a whole person yet or photographer. 

We all have varied likes and dislikes.  When I go out to eat, I don't always go to Italian restaurants or German.  I like variety.  Of course, if you're presenting your work commercially in a book or on line and want to keep to a theme or doing a photo essay, then it makes sense to group photos.  But beyond that, just enjoy shooting what you like to see shot.   

Isaac

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 05:11:29 pm »

When I go out to eat, I don't always go to Italian restaurants or German.

Do you go to restaurants that don't know if they are Italian restaurants or German restaurants?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 05:32:41 pm »

Ultimately all photography is conceptual. If you can shoot it, I can duplicate it. Sometimes, I admit, only with heroic effort, and I'm never going to get the clouds literally the same. But the thing you bring as a photographer is not, ultimately, an image, but an idea.

Very well said. Do you mind if I quote you on my blog?

Of course, the other thing you bring as a photographer is f/8 and being there.

Jim

amolitor

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 05:51:06 pm »

You absolutely may quote me on my blog!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 07:52:04 pm »

Ultimately all photography is conceptual. If you can shoot it, I can duplicate it.

That's certainly true of landscape, Andrew, but for street it won't hold water. Everybody can -- and everybody does -- shoot Half Dome, but nobody has shot "Behind the Gare St Lazare" lately.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:36 pm »

amolitor

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 04:40:50 am »

But I could dupe St. Lazare!

I'd use actors and a set. It wouldn't even be hard. Tedious and expensive, yes.

The point is that there's no magic brush or chisel technique here. There are no mystery pigments or color mixing magic. There's no special technique that imparts an impossible to copy aspect.

In truth, there isn't in painting either, but we like to think there is.

This is perhaps not as deep or controversial an observation as it sounds.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up