Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9600 problem  (Read 5692 times)

framah

Epson 9600 problem
« on: January 04, 2006, 05:32:53 pm »

I'm having a problem here. I have never had this problem before but today I tried to print an image at 20x28 and when the printer started, it was only printing  an image about 6 " across. I went back and looked over ALL the settings and every one had the size correct. Even the print with preview window had the image the correct size compared to the paper size I had requested.  I tried shutting everything off and restarting hoping it would reset itself but, no luck. Anyone out there  ever have this happen?   I run a Mac and PSCS2.  

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Epson 9600 problem
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:29:29 pm »

A couple of generic questions/suggestions, most of which I imagine you've checked. I use the 4000, so I'm somewhat familiar with the way Epson does things.

Were you getting the whole, intact image at reduced size; or a 6 inch partial image segment of the full-sized image?

If the former, that makes me think a resolution/size setting is off somewhere in Photoshop, printer driver, and/or RIP software. Are you using a custom paper size, and is it set up properly? Do you have it set to use sheets when you are using rolls, or vice versa? This has gotta be a setting off somewhere.

If the latter, think about a corrupt file or a print-head problem.

Latest drivers/firmware from Epson?

Using a RIP? Recheck your final output size/resolution of the image in Photoshop, and double check your RIP's settings.

Let us know what you find out.
michael sebast

framah

Epson 9600 problem
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 01:46:37 pm »

Ok. Here is what's happening so far. It was a whole image at 6" versus 26". I checked every place there might be a size setting and all were set to the right size.

Not using a RIP.

It was a roll of Somerset Velvet and it was set for rolls.  I since replaced the velvet paper with enhanced matte and resent the file to the printer and it worked just fine. I even tried to print one of my own photos and that came out fine also.

As soon as I try to use Somerset Velvet in the machine it doesn't work right.  I finally got the machine to recognize a sheet of SV paper and it accepted it and was printing the right size but it offset it to the extreme edge of the paper... again not where I put it.

My conclusion is that, for whatever reason, something relating to using SV is corrupted. I'm using Atkinson profiles and I'm not sure if that is where it is. It prints fine in whatever other paper profile combo I use, just not for SV.

You know, I really hate this nonsense!! I wish someone would come up with  a system that actually worked and if there ever was a problem, it would TELL us what  the H*** was wrong and what to do to fix it!!  

I have a love/hate relationship with my computer. I love to hate it!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jom

Epson 9600 problem
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:31:31 pm »

in your print with preview box, you haven't checked "resize to fit media" have you?

jom

Epson 9600 problem
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:33:08 pm »

also you're not in centimeters are you?

just dumb stuff but it's usually those really obvious things that baffle you for the longest

Ray

Epson 9600 problem
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 09:07:57 am »

Files, profiles, whatever can get corrupted and need re-installing. I once had a weird problem with my 7600 using a Bill Atkinson profile for Premium Lustre. I hadn't used my printer for a couple of months, switched it on and after its usual head cleaning rountine, made a print that was decidedly deficient in yellow. I assumed the yellow nozzle was blocked. Did a nozzle check which showed it wasn't blocked, but the yellow was a shade of pea green. Went through a number of cleaning routines, but it was still pea green. Phoned Epson maintenance who guided me through a 'power' clean from the service menu. After a couple of these, the yellow began to look more like yellow and I was back to normal.

Now what the heck has this got to do with your problem of wrong print sizes? Possibly nothing. But I'm still asking myself what the heck has a cleaning routine got to do with the wrong color appearing on a nozzle check printout. The maintenance guy couldn't explain it.

Oddly enough the same problem recurred  recently when demonstrating the difference between ARGB fully saturated yellow and ProPhoto fully saturated yellow. My ARGB yellows started looking pea green but not when printing from the ProPhoto profile. At the time the problem first occurred, I was using Adobe RGB. I suspected the problem might be caused by or related to a corrupted profile. I deleted the profile and installed a freshly downloaded Atkinson profile and the problem was resolved.

framah

Epson 9600 problem
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 02:28:43 pm »

The corrupted profile idea is actually what I had thought might be the problem but i haven't had time to get back to it and reload them. Now that you have also mentioned it, it makes more sense than anything else.  I'll give that a try sometime soon.  

In the meantime... thanks for your suggestions.

radfordwine

Epson 9600 problem
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:54:05 am »

I'm having a problem here. I have never had this problem before but today I tried to print an image at 20x28 and when the printer started, it was only printing  an image about 6 " across. I went back and looked over ALL the settings and every one had the size correct. Even the print with preview window had the image the correct size compared to the paper size I had requested.  I tried shutting everything off and restarting hoping it would reset itself but, no luck. Anyone out there  ever have this happen?   I run a Mac and PSCS2. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55210\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am having the same problem.  In reply to the question on the lower part of this page, my printer is only printing a partial of the entire image.  It seems to select an area of approx. 1/4 of the entire image and "throws" that small portion to the lower right corner of the paper.  In addition, the paper is "rolled" back too far, not allowing a proper white border around the image.  If I have requested a 2" border, I am given a 1/2" border at best.  Am exasperated!  This same printed operated beautifully powered by a pc in another location.  I am using a mac with a newly installed cs2 package.  Would greatly appreciate any suggestions!  Like your window, the print preview illustrates everything as I would like it to print.  Thank you!  Radford

p.tinson

Epson 9600 problem
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 12:20:08 pm »

One reason for this printing only a portion of the image (aprox letter size) is if you are using a custom page size and you have set one of the measurements greater than the maximum print size for the printer (OSX will alow this to be done without any warnings), I have done it where I had the width and hight transposed.
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up