Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports Illustrated removes all photographers from staff  (Read 10235 times)

Iluvmycam

Re: Sports Illustrated removes all photographers from staff
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 11:51:24 am »

USA Today Sports has taken over the national sports photography gigs, selling the same 5 images to everyone.  It's a solid business model for everyone but the photographer.  It saddens me that photography has been turned into a commodity - where original, unique perspectives are not created.

I hope that SI figures out how to do long form storytelling using different photographers -  I see it as the only method to keep pulling a paying audience.  That and they may want to investigate going to larger photos on their layout, as folks can see plenty of small photos online, but some photos command a larger presence.

Yes it is sad, but that is how it is with digital. World is polluted with photos.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 12:21:30 pm »

what SEC and Enron has to do with replacing W2s with subcontractors ?...

Nothing, indeed. But it has everything to do with "companies trying to outsmart IRS or SEC."

However, since you apparently read my posts only to find a word or sentence to quibble with, I let you have the last word.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 12:41:53 pm »

That is the trend. USPS only hires part timers for years now...

As I repeatedly said, many companies are trying that. Some succeed for years. Some not. There are whole web sites, blogs, lawyer practices, etc. devoted to contractor vs. employee issue. Here is a quote from one of those:

FedEx Hit with Avalanche of Independent Contractor Misclassification Rulings

In the past week, the Supreme Court of Kansas and the National Labor Relations Board have issued lengthy, comprehensive opinions finding that FedEx misclassified its Home Delivery and Ground Division drivers as independent contractors as a matter of law. Those two decisions, which dealt with drivers in Kansas and Connecticut, come only a month after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit reached the same conclusion under California and Oregon law. All three decisions essentially conclude what the Kansas court found: “FedEx has established an employment relationship with its delivery drivers but dressed that relationship in independent contractor clothing.”

satybhat

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 12:51:04 am »

Wrong example, AlterEgo. To make it similar, let's say that I have 100 roofs around town (all belong to me) and I keep sending the same contractor to repair it, month  after month, year after year, specifically saying that he has to do it exclusively for me, i.e., that he can not engage in roof repair for anyone else. That example stands a higher chance (but not necessarily) to be classified as "employee." Please note that the use of "higher chance" and  "not necessarily," as I already explained that IRS determination depends on a multitude of factors.

just to clarify:
Employee vs Independent Contractor

Degree of control over how work is performed   Performs work, under the direction and control of their employer, on an ongoing basis.
Independent Contractor   Has a high level of control in how the work is done.

Hours of work   Generally works standard or set hours (note: a casual employee's hours may vary from week to week).
Independent Contractor   Under agreement, decides what hours to work to complete the specific task.

Expectation of work   Usually has an ongoing expectation of work (note: some employees may be engaged for a specific task or specific period).
Independent Contractor   Usually engaged for a specific task.

Risk   Bears no financial risk (this is the responsibility of their employer).   
Independent Contractor Bears the risk for making a profit or loss on each task.

Independent Contractor  Usually bears responsibility and liability for poor work or injury sustained while performing the task. As such, contractors generally have their own insurance policy.

Superannuation   Entitled to have superannuation contributions paid into a nominated superannuation fund by their employer.   
Independent Contractor Pays their own superannuation (note: in some circumstances independent contractors may be entitled to be paid superannuation contributions).

Tools and equipment   Tools and equipment are generally provided by the employer, or a tool allowance is provided.   
Independent Contractor  Uses their own tools and equipment (note: alternative arrangements may be made within a contract for services).

Tax   Has income tax deducted by their employer.   
Independent Contractor  Pays their own tax / GST / VAT

Method of payment   Paid regularly (for example, weekly/fortnightly/monthly).   
Independent Contractor submits an invoice for work completed or is paid at the end of the contract or project.

Leave Entitled to receive paid leave (for example, annual leave, personal/carers' leave, long service leave) or receive a loading in lieu of leave entitlements in the case of casual employees.   
Independent Contractor Does not receive paid leave.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up