Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Pro - R.I.P.???  (Read 8969 times)

Hägar the horrible

• http://www.andidietrich.com
Media Pro - R.I.P.???
« on: January 04, 2015, 01:44:51 pm »

Even though I am happy with Phase One's C8 I am doubtfull that they are serious about Media Pro. There are no news about Media Pro updates for quite a while!
Is it "Phasing Out" ?
Maybe I am the only one still using it, but hey it is still up for sale there...

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Media Pro - R.I.P.???
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:28:32 pm »

Am afraid you are right; it seems to be no priority for them.

I am a iview media pro user for a long time- Microsoft made it a little better; Phase one added some new colorscheme and emlarged the max size, but other than that no real improvements.

The things that got better (mac user) are the things OSX has improved. The thumbnail engine is now a bit faster because of that.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

allegretto

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:22:59 pm »

what, specifically wold you like it to do that it does not do now...?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:44:40 pm »

I think I remember getting it off my list of useful apps when it had issues seeing some TIF formats. Also I remember some tools can surely be refined to be better integrated in the GUI. Otherwise I thought it looked promising with future updates, if one isn't using LR or C1 for cataloging. IDImager Supreme maybe a good alternate if you're looking for one other than the usual.

I didn't see any updates being made, so I let it rest, and gave into the All-in-One "solution" of LR, and use it along C1 for some processing work I prefer using C1.
The problem I have is the sluggish performance of LR with large DB even using with Quadcore 3.2ghz/16gb ram with SSD drive.

Anyway, I had hopes that MediaPro would get a 2nd version. Nothing yet!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

allegretto

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:30:07 pm »

I see...

Well unlike LR and CO I use it as a simple Library and it works just fine. I especially like that I can use audio, video or image files and link them regardless of where it resides. I don't know if LR will do this but CO doesn't seem to be as accepting...

Hägar the horrible

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:03:24 am »

allegretto, they could add support of new camera files from time to time. Even though I fell they could have done more on that piece of software that is about all I ask. Keeping it up to date with camera files, the D810 and the D750 are not yet supported. The D810 is out for 6 months now!

the webgalleries are still the same as when I used it on Windows, about 15 years ago, new names :D

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:00:19 am »

allegretto, they could add support of new camera files from time to time. Even though I fell they could have done more on that piece of software that is about all I ask. Keeping it up to date with camera files, the D810 and the D750 are not yet supported. The D810 is out for 6 months now!

the webgalleries are still the same as when I used it on Windows, about 15 years ago, new names :D

Hägar...( is that your name) if you use a Mac you have to have iPhoto ( or Aperture) ;
Only then you can install the " RAWCameraUpdate5.07.dmg  "      to get up to date with the latest camera's. ( silly but true)
Media pro uses the OSX support for the thumbnails. ( i have a d810 myself and it is supported)

What is NOT supported and should be is the PSB format ( large photoshop files) - a real bummer for me...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 07:49:34 am »

Can understand.  I am in a Sony/Canon/Leica> Mac > C_O 8 flow and don't see what you do

Seems like it's a very reasonable request. I thought once it's imported into C-O it's automatically going to be cataloged by MP. So you have to have the proper translators on both sides? Seems odd.

What this does bring up is the almost orgiastic proliferation of plug-ins for LR. One can blow an image around several programs and get The Photo or FUBAR it real good. Thank God for variants and nondestructive editing.

Hägar the horrible

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:46 pm »

Kers,
no no my name is not Hägar, but maybe I am horrible  :)

I cant believe that Phase lets Apple decide which files are supported. That would be really silly

Phil
LR is not the same, the nice thing about MP was that they support all sorts of files, including mp3, video, pdf and more. when it is up to date it is really quite usefull to manage projects or finding lost files, sort and transfer them. Or has this been added recently to LR

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 06:21:25 pm »

I've used Media Pro on my Macs since OS8 and would be up shit creek if it has reached EOL. I thought Microsoft would ruin the program but it was relatively untouched, and I was very glad when Phase One bought it. I thought they'd integrate it into Capture One and dispose of the stand-alone program, and I'm glad I was wrong.

The original programmers at iView clearly made a great product. Very stable, very fast, very functional, and those attributes are still valid. I hope it isn't discontinued.
~ CB

Hägar the horrible

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:25:59 pm »

the release notes (1.4.2) mentions the following:

The Phase One renderer now supports the same images as Capture One 7.2.1.

so as there has not been any support for MediaPro and C7 has not been updated either since C8 has been released, we may never see an update to Media Pro :'(

allegretto

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 01:49:15 am »

works fine with 8.1 for me

the release notes (1.4.2) mentions the following:

The Phase One renderer now supports the same images as Capture One 7.2.1.

so as there has not been any support for MediaPro and C7 has not been updated either since C8 has been released, we may never see an update to Media Pro :'(

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 09:31:47 am »

Just a quick note to say we are working on an update for Media Pro for Capture One Pro 8 support and Yosemite on OSX.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Hägar the horrible

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 05:20:29 pm »

Great to hear! :-)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:12 pm »

Just a quick note to say we are working on an update for Media Pro for Capture One Pro 8 support and Yosemite on OSX.
David

hello David,
Yes that would be a very good thing: what i would like:

thumbnails larger than 640px- say 1024px
Raw+ jpeg   also to be seen as one image if you like ( for tagging)
PSB support - if practically possible ( now they are left out as they are not there at all)
to be able to make your own keystrokes shortcuts for diverse actions       for instance to switch from thumbnails to light box - zoom 100%   etc  etc

little things
if you open/start a new file ; always have the preferred thumbnail size ( and not the last chosen) or have the choice in preferences

some mistakes:
on rebuilding Raw thumbnails  (on a Mac) the colours are changed and off...

cheers!

PK

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:19:02 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Remko

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 04:37:37 am »

David

Great! Thanks for the update, David :)

cheers,
Remko

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 04:09:29 am »

David

Hello david, we live now half a year later: What has happened in between with media-pro?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 12:27:52 pm »

Well they did release 1.5 which adds support for CO8.1, but then released CO8.2 two days later and hence nuked CO support again.  i guess the intern who spent 1 afternoon coding, testing and releasing 1.5, in between fetching coffee fir marketing and the CO team, has gone back to high school....

Totally embarassing for PhaseOne, this debacle. But hardly a major issue I guess
--
David Mantripp
Pages: [1]   Go Up