Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Mounting  (Read 6940 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Print Mounting
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:09:33 am »

How do you mount your inkjet glossy type prints? Do you mount them to foam core with an adhesive? How? I was thinking about using a Pro Seal 44 to mount them to foam core then overlaminate with a film for durability and to eliminate having to use glass when framing.

Paul80

Re: Print Mounting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 05:25:12 pm »

Hi

I just use a mounting board that is self adhesive on one side.  I get it from my local art shop, it comes in A0 sheets.

Paul

stockjock

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »

I have never mounted a print but I am researching options for the future.  These guys seem to specialize in a wide range of self-adhesive boards that could be used to easily mount a photo.  I have no idea how difficult it is to avoid bubbles.

http://www.foamboardsource.com/

cortlander

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:24:31 pm »

To avoid bubbles, just peel and expose a couple of inches of adhesive at a time, pat the photograph nicely, and then a couple more inches etc until done. Do not try to peel the entire back in one go. I make the photo slightly bigger than the gator board, and then trim with a rotary blade.
cortlander

Jglaser757

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:24:49 pm »

To avoid bubbles, just peel and expose a couple of inches of adhesive at a time, pat the photograph nicely, and then a couple more inches etc until done. Do not try to peel the entire back in one go. I make the photo slightly bigger than the gator board, and then trim with a rotary blade.

My concern is a very large print and keeping it straight,avoiding any mistakes.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:51:46 am »

Use a long wide heavy metal ruler, and wrap it in some soft cloth to not damage the print. slowly move the ruler as you work the print on the adhesive. There are also some squeegies that may work, some soft rubber kind.(?)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 07:15:28 am »

How do you mount your inkjet glossy type prints? Do you mount them to foam core with an adhesive? How? I was thinking about using a Pro Seal 44 to mount them to foam core then overlaminate with a film for durability and to eliminate having to use glass when framing.
One of my favorite ways - prefer to substitute gatorboard 3/4" for say 11" and larger as it does not warp. Overlam adds depth to image and much more protection.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 07:48:50 am »

I like the way this guy does mounting, lamination, etc with a simple roll laminator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYSL3j7XXs
He has more videos like that. Inspired me to go a similar route for creating adhesive panels.
The more delicate prints on art papers I mount with a cold vacuum press, I have seen too many issues when third parties did that job for me. With RC papers the risks are lower when the roll laminator is used and they can do the job too.
Sheets of release paper are required though, so never throw them away.
Mounting paper to carton with an acryl medium sprayed on both the print back and the mounting board worked also, vacuum press for flatness and fast bonding time. Does not work with RC papers though as most of the time the RC backs give no bond.

No mounting expert yet but I can find my way.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 08:05:12 am »

I like the way this guy does mounting, lamination, etc with a simple roll laminator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYSL3j7XXs
He has more videos like that. Inspired me to go a similar route for creating adhesive panels.
The more delicate prints on art papers I mount with a cold vacuum press, I have seen too many issues when third parties did that job for me. With RC papers the risks are lower when the roll laminator is used and they can do the job too.
Sheets of release paper are required though, so never throw them away.
Mounting paper to carton with an acryl medium sprayed on both the print back and the mounting board worked also, vacuum press for flatness and fast bonding time. Does not work with RC papers though as most of the time the RC backs give no bond.

No mounting expert yet but I can find my way.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Great link. He shows me yet another way to approach this process - and his look pretty darn good.
Thanks

cortlander

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 08:53:33 am »

My concern is a very large print and keeping it straight,avoiding any mistakes.

The largest that I have done are 36x12 in and 24x16 in. No issues keeping them straight.
cortlander

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 04:41:42 pm »

Those videos show the value of having cutting mattes that cover an entire worktable.  He's using a premium grade matte, but much cheaper ones work just as well.  When you have a table where you can cut anywhere, anytime, rotatrimmers start to look kind of silly.  Put your money in a big matte and some good straightedges.

The main downside for clear laminates over the surface is that you inevitably get some hazing.  Maybe just a tiny amount, but it's there and if you compare laminated with not-laminated prints you can tell the difference immediately.  And in an art installation where your minutely hazy print winds up along a print without lamination or with very clear varnish, you won't get the prize.  And let's not even talk about little tiny dust particles and pieces of grit, which bedevil even the most experienced laminators (and also facemounters).  As one gets into lamination, one will find oneself Googling "anti-static equipment" and "humidifiers."  Just go easy on the humidity.

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:38:59 am »

Bill T: Would heat lamination where the overlamination material melts onto the surface of the print be better than cold lamination?

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 09:37:31 am »

How do you mount your inkjet glossy type prints? Do you mount them to foam core with an adhesive?

I used spray-on adhesive to fix the print to foam core. Usually I get unacceptable bubbles.

Two-sided tape squares give good results, but they are fiddly.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 11:53:45 am »

"The main downside for clear laminates over the surface is that you inevitably get some hazing."

Only tends to be a problem when the materials are cold, if the paper isn't smooth, or a matt laminate is used. And dust only becomes an issue if your workspace isn't spotless. Hot rollers will help the laminate conform to the texture of the paper, but will

Never tried one of those manual laminators - jumped straight to a motorised one, but watching how the guy at Zenith works, he almost certainly has hundreds, if not thousands of hours experience, and so makes things look remarkably easy. Which, just like dentistry, it is, if you know what you are doing.

I'd not go with the wrapped long  ruler, for fear of scratching the surface of the print.

framah

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 12:42:53 pm »

I used spray-on adhesive to fix the print to foam core. Usually I get unacceptable bubbles.

Two-sided tape squares give good results, but they are fiddly.

Ok.... BOTH of these ideas are non starters and are usually strictly amateur attempts coming from not knowing what one is doing.
As the poster stated, the spray didn't work due to unacceptable bubbles not to mention a varying thickness of the spray... spitting... leaving little glue bumps.

The second method is a no-no due to the fact that little tape squares only hold where the tape is and that allows the rest of the print to move from various atmospheric conditions, creating waves in the print.

That is not mounting, that is sticking it onto the refrigerator for Mom to see. ::)
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

bill t.

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »

For the record, it's just about impossible to mount mirror-glossy prints without getting some ripple in the surface.  Roll adhesives, spray adhesives, drymount tissue, glue, etc. all have some texture of their own that feeds through to the surface of the prints.  And most mounting boards have some ripple.  In only takes a miniscule amount of ripple to make visible waves in the surface of reflective prints, it's an optical thing.  Nothing looks cheesier than a rippling gloss surface.

The best non-rippling option for glossies may be face mounting on perfectly smooth, high grade plex, where the main reflective surface is very flat.  Just like the $6.2M photograph.  But you gotta like seeing sharp reflections of the room lights and you own beautiful face floating over your image.

There are some drymount tissues that claim to be suitable for glossies, which I have never tried.  You would also need a very smooth mounting surface.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 02:14:17 pm »

Lots of good info here, as usual. 

I gotta question.  foamboardsource.com lists two self adhesive mounting substrates:

3/16ths Gator at $29 or so for a 30X40
http://www.foamboardsource.com/self-adhesive-gatorfoam-psgf080.html

1/4" "Jetmount" at $17 for a 32X40
http://www.foamboardsource.com/jetmount-foamboard-psjm010.html

Anybody have any experience with Jetmount vs Gator?  I've none with either.

Is it possible to mount a 30X40 print on these self-adhesive sheets by hand?  No roller press?

Thanks!

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 02:35:21 pm »

That is not mounting, that is sticking it onto the refrigerator for Mom to see. ::)

Well, my old refrigerator would look a lot better with just about anything stuck to it.

What do you do, Framah?

bill t.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 02:48:05 pm »

Peter mentioned: no roller press?

Working by hand with any kind of adhesive mounting gives better results with paper media than with RC media.

If you get bubbles that can't be teased out to the edges, you can puncture the prints with a very fine needle to exhaust the trapped air.

With paper media, there is enough give-and-take stretch available for the bubbled area to then lay flat.

However, RC papers are very rigid along their 2-dimensional surface.  Even if you pin-release the bubble air, you may still have an incurable bubble, or you will have an area that initially looks flattened but which will rise again to bubble status after a few hours or days or weeks or months.  This I know, ouch.  And pin pricks show up on RC much more than on paper.

Best bet is to use a pinch roller to apply RC with adhesives.  Smacks down about 98% of the bubbles that bedevil those who work by hand.  The super-cheap, hand cranked rollers will do the job, but the rollers on those babies don't stand up to use before developing numerous roller diseases, most especially cracking and splitting.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 03:14:08 pm »

Best bet is to use a pinch roller to apply RC with adhesives.  The super-cheap, hand cranked rollers will do the job, but the rollers on those babies don't stand up to use before developing numerous roller diseases, most especially cracking and splitting.

Any recommendations on brand, Bill?  I'd like to be able to do 30", but I could live with 25"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up