Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One processing 645Z images  (Read 13411 times)

FredDelgado

Capture One processing 645Z images
« on: December 28, 2014, 08:06:09 pm »

I am a big fan of Capture One.

It seems that the Pentax 645Z images cannot be processed with Capture One.

Is this correct? If so, is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Fred

Kolor-Pikker

Re: Capture One processing 645Z images
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:36:27 am »

The best workaround I can think of at the moment is throwing eggs at the cars of Phase employees until they add support for it.

I used C1 happily since v4.x with my Canon gear and being forced to use Lightroom just for the 645Z is painful. Phase is already potentially losing customers who don't need the leaf shutter or detachable back capability (like me; I was close to buying a Phase once), but they could at least keep the people who like the software. Even though you can't do shifts on the 645Z, I still need LCC for my work and LR's implementation is "usable" at best.

erlingmm

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:54:18 am »

Similar problem: I am a big fan of C1, I am using Leica S which is "not supported" by C1 (although I can work on the images when I import from LR DNGs).

C1 is a tool to protect PhaseOne in the MF market, therefore no other MF camera is supported. I think this is stupid, as C1 seems to have an edge on LR now, and increased interest after C1 8.1

As most developers of C1 live in Copenhagen, trowing eggs on them is a challenge (although I will fly via CPH on Monday), so maybe more voices in forums is more effective.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 10:45:46 am »

as C1 seems to have an edge on LR now, and increased interest after C1 8.1

edge as in marketshare of paying users or edge as in "I think that C1 in my hands produces better results for me" ?

those are 2 very different edges, are they not ?

gebseng

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 11:52:29 am »

As far as I remember, torger wrote a tool to convert H5D-50c fiels (same sensor) to the P1 IIQ format?

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:52:18 pm »

You should be able use DNG for your RAW capture format on the 645Z and then use C1 although it won't be a camera specific interpretation of the DNG files nor will any of the lenses have profiles.

JV

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 01:48:54 pm »

Similar problem: I am a big fan of C1, I am using Leica S which is "not supported" by C1 (although I can work on the images when I import from LR DNGs).

C1 is a tool to protect PhaseOne in the MF market, therefore no other MF camera is supported. I think this is stupid, as C1 seems to have an edge on LR now, and increased interest after C1 8.1

As most developers of C1 live in Copenhagen, trowing eggs on them is a challenge (although I will fly via CPH on Monday), so maybe more voices in forums is more effective.

I feel very similar.  Until recently I used C1 for Phase One digital backs only.

With v8 I started using it for Sony A7s and Fuji X as well.  Version 8 is really a big step forward.

Unfortunately Leica S2 files are still not supported...

Being a raw converter supposedly focusing on high end cameras it is hard to understand why Pentax 645Z and Leica S are not supported...

erlingmm

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 02:26:22 pm »

edge as in marketshare of paying users or edge as in "I think that C1 in my hands produces better results for me" ?

those are 2 very different edges, are they not ?

Of course, and C1 is not anywhere near LR in market share. I personally like it more and more,  and I sense an increased interest in C1 after 8.1, and C1 excluding other MF cameras does not help (and I am not sure it helps PhaseOne cameras in the competition either)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:05:46 pm by erlingmm »

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 02:28:12 pm »

Being a raw converter supposedly focusing on high end cameras it is hard to understand why Pentax 645Z and Leica S are not supported...

C1 for non P1 cameras (non DB version) is a source of additional income for P1 and not "a raw converter supposedly focusing on high end cameras"...  non supporting Pentax MF dSLRs & similar apparently does not yield enough loss to overcome a certain attitude towards competition.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 02:32:40 pm »

But I sense an increased interest in C1 after 8.1, and C1 excluding other MF cameras does not help (and I am not sure it helps PhaseOne cameras in the competition either)

the point is that it is not hurting enough for P1 people to force an attitude change... just like with "DNG" (for camera manufacturers)

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 02:36:17 pm »

As far as I remember, torger wrote a tool to convert H5D-50c fiels (same sensor) to the P1 IIQ format?

and there is a software to convert files to .NEF

http://bagnonm.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/dng2nef-v30-more-cameras-supported-and.html

may be it is working for those DNGs to NEF for C1 purposes ? his newest tool was more geared towards Sony and 810 support =  http://bagnonm.blogspot.com.es/

torger

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 02:58:33 pm »

Yes I wrote a tool that can convert H4D-50c and 645Z files to an IQ250 IIQ file and that way open it in Capture One (I've tried, it works), but it's only for experimentation, I've not made it available. It would not be fair to Phase One, as much of their edge sits in Capture One.

You need a Phase One or Leaf back in order to get the Sony MF sensor processed in Capture One, which I imagine for some is actually the strongest reason why one would want to pay so much more than the competion.

JV

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 03:24:21 pm »

C1 for non P1 cameras (non DB version) is a source of additional income for P1 and not "a raw converter supposedly focusing on high end cameras"...  non supporting Pentax MF dSLRs & similar apparently does not yield enough loss to overcome a certain attitude towards competition.

Obviously it is a source of income (I never said the contrary) but also the term "high end cameras" is taken directly from their website.

If they are serious about that and about "open systems" (as they continuously pretend in their marketing) and about C1 as a standalone product then they should support Pentax and Leica MF.

If Iredient (as a much smaller company) can do it why wouldn't Phase One be able to do it?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:27:26 pm by JV »

Joe Towner

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 03:41:28 pm »

CaptureOne is a really amazing tool, and I understand why they wouldn't support 3rd party stuff by default.  The question is what are you willing to pay to add support for an additional platform to your license? $100? $200? $300?  The additional work of adding a platform they don't have deep insider knowledge of would be frustrating to users whom have high expectations.
t: @PNWMF

sbernthal

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 03:46:47 pm »

They are not unable to do it, they are unwilling.
Hasselblad, Leica and Pentax are competitors of Phase One cameras.
C1 supports P1 high end cameras, and pretty all other mid end cameras.
They have no trouble supporting the 35mm Pentax and Leica models.
You may not like it and neither do I, but it is their right to pursue their business targets.
It seems very clear their maths tells them that going for a software mostly business and letting the cameras fight on their own merits, is less profitable than using the synergy to their advantage.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 03:54:41 pm »

Hi,

To begin they should fully support DNG.

Best regards
Eik

Obviously it is a source of income (I never said the contrary) but also the term "high end cameras" is taken directly from their website.

If they are serious about that and about "open systems" (as they continuously pretend in their marketing) and about C1 as a standalone product then they should support Pentax and Leica MF.

If Iredient (as a much smaller company) can do it why wouldn't Phase One be able to do it?
Erik Kaffehr

Ken R

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 04:16:43 pm »

Phase One will not support other Medium Format Digital Backs/Cameras files in their Capture One Software. Could they? Of course. But they won't. Can you blame them? Not really. I mean, it's a business decision.

Pentax needs to invest in the software for the 645z (and much better camera/lens service and support) just like Hasselblad and PhaseOne have if they wish for the 645z system to prosper and have longevity.

mjrichardson

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 04:21:00 pm »

I open and develop my Leica S files in C1, a profile is also available from Leica which can be loaded in to C1.

Mat

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 04:31:14 pm »

Hi,

To begin they should fully support DNG.

Best regards
Eik
I'm under the impression that Capture One doesn't work on a "does it support this format?" basis, as much as on a per-camera basis, with a lot of internal tweaking and profiling done to have each tested sensor and lens perform their best.

Even if you get the thing to open and with the right color profiling, where's the lens corrections? How are you sure that the shadow, highlight, noise and sharpening algorithms are aware of the sensor's capabilities at each ISO level?

More than the 645Z or Leica S, the current crop of small format cameras with 36MP sensors (and soon even more), with respectable glass, can attain very close results at common print sizes, and yet C1 supports those systems... another business decision? If you think it doesn't matter, well, I remember back when the D800E came out and all I ever saw on here and GetDPI were threads about it vs. digital backs all day long. Phase's biggest competitor is Sony's A7R with a 17 or 24mm TS-E attached, not a pair of camera systems that Phase doesn't even have a functional equivalent to (fast rugged one-piece SLR suitable for outdoors in inclement weather).

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

Hi,

I don't think so. They can just use DNG and rely on any raw converter supporting DNG, most of them actually do. It makes a lot more sense to work with Adobe and cooperating with Adobe to get good support than developing another crappy raw converter. I am not saying that Capture One or Phocus are bad, on the contrary. But, Capture on is now version 8, a long development.

Pentax has announced some kind of professional support arrangement at Photokina. Regarding longevity, the Pentax 645 was introduced 1984, so it has been around for thirty years.

Pentax doesn't need to dominate the playing field of Phase One and Hasselblad, they can dominate the playing field of their own. The main competitor may be Leica. Leica has also chosen the DNG path.

Best regards
Erik

Pentax needs to invest in the software for the 645z (and much better camera/lens service and support) just like Hasselblad and PhaseOne have if they wish for the 645z system to prosper and have longevity.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up