Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographic Printing on Canvas:Is it "Fine Art" Printing?  (Read 40507 times)

chez

Re: Photographic Printing on Canvas:Is it "Fine Art" Printing?
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2015, 10:22:12 am »

With the above post in mind, let me ask the question in this way:

1) A mythical photographer - who we all agree is "one of the best" - offers a colour print for sale. (I am guessing a Black & White would be a no brainer!)
2) This mythical print - which we all agree is his finest - is offered printed in a choice of paper or canvas. Neither medium/substrate adds or detracts from the photograph. Both the same size.
3) The paper print is framed and matted as per "archival standards".
4) The canvas is offered "stretched" - as per "archival standards".
5) The price is the same for either choice: $100.00.

Which one would you choose?

Why is the canvas also not matted and framed using the same archival mattes and same frame? I very rarely leave my canvas prints stretched. I use the same process to matte and frame the canvas print to finish off the print.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2015, 10:30:17 am »

William, in your scenario, first determining factor, for me, would be size. If small, then framed print; if large, then canvas. Another factor would be decorative use. If, say, modern, high ceilings, plenty of wall space, very large canvas really goes well, even unframed.

Another thing from your scenario, the price. The lower the price, the more goes to the print framer, less to the photographer; in your case, like 80/20. The opposite with canvas.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2015, 02:17:20 am »

William, in your scenario, first determining factor, for me, would be size. If small, then framed print; if large, then canvas. Another factor would be decorative use. If, say, modern, high ceilings, plenty of wall space, very large canvas really goes well, even unframed.

Another thing from your scenario, the price. The lower the price, the more goes to the print framer, less to the photographer; in your case, like 80/20. The opposite with canvas.

Come on guys! This print is virtually (pun intended) being given to you at $100.00 from a Master(!) - it has nothing to do with production costs! You are on the receiving end - which would you choose?  ???
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:20:21 am by William Walker »
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2015, 10:56:25 am »

Come on guys!... You are on the receiving end - which would you choose?  ???

I did answer that: if small, print; if large, canvas.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 11:07:46 am »

Returning to the OP's question: If the presentation technique, rather than the image content, defines whether or not the piece qualifies as "fine art", then we're all in trouble.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2015, 01:37:03 pm »

So, just like an unframed painting?

Not exactly. I associate unframed oil painting with untidy white edges, with staples visible. A black edge, in my opinion, creates an illusion of a frame. In the images attached, you see first an oil painting with a thin black frame around. Then there is my canvas with a black edge.

The third image is another oil on canvas, this time framed with a canvas mat, and under non-reflective glass (according to artist's directions). There is no reason that a photograph on canvas can not be matted and framed similarly, especially a smaller size canvas.

Isaac

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2015, 02:17:37 pm »

Not exactly. I associate unframed oil painting with untidy white edges, with staples visible.

Thanks. It just so happened that the artist, of the 2 unframed oil paintings I have, did paint the edges black.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:03:04 pm by Isaac »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2015, 09:29:04 pm »

Slobodan, do you colour the edges black after stretching?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2015, 09:54:38 pm »

Slobodan, do you colour the edges black after stretching?
I outsource printing, and that is one of the options they offer. I initially considered gallery wraps, but since I tend to frame tightly in-camera, that meant mirror edges, which I do not particularly like, plus it means more work. Black edges almost look like a frame. You can have edges of different colors too, to match the image's dominant color, but then you loose uniformity of presentation at art fairs or exhibitions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:06:29 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2015, 12:59:44 am »

Returning to the OP's question: If the presentation technique, rather than the image content, defines whether or not the piece qualifies as "fine art", then we're all in trouble.

Peter, for the purposes of this question, I attempted to remove the "image content" from the equation, let us assume that we all agree that it is, in fact, a wonderful piece of art.

That being said, it is clear that we all have our own ideas regarding this issue, which is very much like "art" itself! Something to be celebrated, because once we all agree on what art is or should be - it stops being art...?

A worthwhile exercise nevertheless! Thank you all for "answering" my question!

William
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:17:21 pm by William Walker »
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 01:41:46 pm »

I initially considered gallery wraps, but since I tend to frame tightly in-camera, that meant mirror edges
I've never printed on canvas. I'm not clear what a gallery wrap is. I've read that it's any canvas stretched over a frame with no other frame around it. Then I have also read that it is that, but with part of the image (replicated or not) wrapped around onto the edge.  So, is a photo printed on canvas and stretched over a frame, with painted edges and no image wrapping around the edges, a gallery wrap?  I'm finding that local art fairs prohibit gallery wraps.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:43:53 pm by pcgpcg »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2015, 02:20:36 pm »

I've never printed on canvas. I'm not clear what a gallery wrap is...

I wasn't precise, I should've said that i considered "image wraps." Gallery wrap is a more general term and includes also mirrored edges, or color edges (including black and white). What is not a gallery wrap is unfinished edges, with staples visible, which means it was meant to be framed.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2015, 06:25:16 pm »

Thank you Sloboan. Your canvas print with black edge looks superb!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:33:31 pm by pcgpcg »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up