Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Temples at Bagan, Burma  (Read 3796 times)

shadowblade

Temples at Bagan, Burma
« on: December 14, 2014, 12:26:45 pm »

Sunrise over the temples at Bagan, an ancient capital of Burma by the banks of the Ayeyarwady (Irrawaddy) River. Thousands of Buddhist temples (and a single Hindu temple) are scattered across the landscape over just a few square kilometres, mostly constructed between the 9th and 13th centuries. At the height of the Bagan kingdom, there were over 10000 temples in the area; even now, over 2000 are still standing.

A few minutes after sunrise, the orange light from the sun washes out the green hues of the vegetation to give the orange-yellow-brown tones of the first two images. The third image was taken just as the sun rose, so the vegetation still appears green; I have also posted another version processed in a different way in order to match the colours from the first two images.

All are multi-frame, single-exposure panoramas taken with the A7r, Sigma 120-300 OS and Metabones adapter.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:59:27 pm by shadowblade »

thierrylegros396

Re: Temples at Bagan, Burma
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:45:51 pm »

I like the second very much.

Just note that your glass seem to be dirty here.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:49:41 pm »

A few minutes after sunrise, the orange light from the sun washes out the green hues of the vegetation to give the orange-yellow-brown tones of the first two images. The third image was taken just as the sun rose, so the vegetation still appears green; I have also posted another version processed in a different way in order to match the colours from the first two images.

I much prefer the green version to the processed one, although I might drop the green saturation a little. It looks to be a fantastic place.

Jeremy

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 12:58:47 pm »

I like the second very much.

Just note that your glass seem to be dirty here.

Thanks - and fixed!

I think it's sensor dust rather than anything on the lens.

That's the trouble with working with 80MP images - it's very easy to miss things like that.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 01:03:35 pm »

In many instances I am a fan of your strong graphic rendering. In few, however, it seems to go a bit too far. The green, for instance, is way, way too green, too bright and too saturated for the occasion. The green grass patch in the right corner looks like lit by a late-morning light, crisp and clear, while the sunrise was anything but.

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:03:55 pm »

I much prefer the green version to the processed one, although I might drop the green saturation a little. It looks to be a fantastic place.

Jeremy

I think the green version works better as a standalone image, but the processed version might work better when displaying all three images together (e.g. as a wall display of three panoramas, one on top of the other).

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 01:22:13 pm »

In many instances I am a fan of your strong graphic rendering. In few, however, it seems to go a bit too far. The green, for instance, is way, way too green, too bright and too saturated for the occasion. The green grass patch in the right corner looks like lit by a late-morning light, crisp and clear, while the sunrise was anything but.

Here's an in-between version.

I can't make the grass any less brightly lit, because the sunlight there is very intense even at sunrise and sunset - anything receiving direct sunlight appears very bright, and there's not a lot you can do about it. Same thing here in Australia when there's no cloud cover, too.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:13:29 pm by shadowblade »

shadowblade

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 01:30:37 pm »

Jeremy

Probably should have mentioned that the image was shot using an enhancing filter, to try to bring out the greens a bit more.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »

The third one - with the greens - is wonderful.  I wouldn't change a thing in this dreamworld.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 01:45:44 pm »

Here's an in-between version.

That's it!

Petrus

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 03:48:27 pm »

Reality check ( at least almost…):

shadowblade

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 06:16:27 pm »

Reality check ( at least almost…):

Very different white balance, and the first one is looking in the opposite direction. You need to be looking east at sunrise and shoot with an ultra-warm white balance to get similar colour tones.

shadowblade

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 06:45:05 pm »

That's it!

Very different white balance, and the first one is looking in the opposite direction. You need to be looking east at sunrise and shoot with an ultra-warm white balance to get similar colour tones.

Changing the white balance and removing the colour cast gives you this:

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 03:25:53 am »

It's a nice series.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 08:48:40 am »

I really like #2 a lot and can agree on the 'inbetween' version being more to my taste as opposed to the original version of that third image.

Reality check not necessarily needed imho, but then again it served a purpose for me because  if those two hadn't been posted I'd have never seen that marvellous second image of those two (probably)  ;-)

Best Regards, Sander

Petrus

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 01:17:17 pm »

Reality check not necessarily needed imho, but then again it served a purpose for me because  if those two hadn't been posted I'd have never seen that marvellous second image of those two (probably)  ;-)

Best Regards, Sander

Bagan is an amazing place, I have been there twice, in 1984 and 2012. Those two pictures are from the recent visit, of course. There are now more temples there than before due to restoration efforts to attract tourists. Which has succeeded all too well as you can see from the attached photograph (turning the camera the other way…)

Anyway, I did have some misgivings about showing the "reality check" photos, but sometimes the color manipulations shown here on this site and in this thread are quite extreme. Seems to be the fashion now with too easy saturation and clarity sliders. Even those two pictures of mine were of course slightly adjusted, second somewhat more with clarity and saturation, the first one not all that much (at least compared to most landscape shots shown here). But whatever, go there yourselves to see how bland the reality is, in reality. Still amazing.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 01:25:49 pm »

I don't see why a photographic artist has to restrict himself/herself to "reality."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 01:34:20 pm »

Ah, I see at least three pet peeves of mine in that tourist shot: reversed lens hood!

spidermike

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 02:40:54 pm »

Probably should have mentioned that the image was shot using an enhancing filter, to try to bring out the greens a bit more.

I am surprised that with digital you need a green filter.
Even the 'in-between' versin the green is so intense that the orange of the temples on the right hand side make them look like poor-quality image combination. I think it is just the colour tonality between the green and orange just don't match up. Sorry...I have been to Pagan and think it is a magical place, and your other images capture it completely. I don't even think it is a case of representing reality, but the way the green progresses to the distance in a way that the orange in the other versions do very differently.

shadowblade

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 06:42:49 pm »

Bagan is an amazing place, I have been there twice, in 1984 and 2012. Those two pictures are from the recent visit, of course. There are now more temples there than before due to restoration efforts to attract tourists. Which has succeeded all too well as you can see from the attached photograph (turning the camera the other way…)

Anyway, I did have some misgivings about showing the "reality check" photos, but sometimes the color manipulations shown here on this site and in this thread are quite extreme. Seems to be the fashion now with too easy saturation and clarity sliders. Even those two pictures of mine were of course slightly adjusted, second somewhat more with clarity and saturation, the first one not all that much (at least compared to most landscape shots shown here). But whatever, go there yourselves to see how bland the reality is, in reality. Still amazing.

Easy enough to do in-camera as well.

The browns/oranges of the first two just involved setting colour temperature to 9900 and could have been done on film by putting a strong warming filter in front of it.

The third could have been accomplished non-digitally using a foliage enhancing filter, a GND and a graduated warming filter.

These methods have been around for as long as colour landscape photography.

Re: the saturation - I'm used to shooting on Velvia and Kodachrome and having images printed on Cibachrome or Fujiflex. To me, anything else looks drab and undersaturated.

The thing is, what the camera sees is not what the eye and brain see. Put a white piece of paper into direct sunlight at sunrise or sunset and I can guarantee you'll see orange or yellow, not white. But the camera's white balance will try to correct for that and make the scene much cooler than you register it to be, in order to correct the white balance. Also, the camera's default curves are optimised for low-dynamic-range, general-purpose shots. Shoot a typical portrait with it and it does well. But put it in front of a high-dynamic-range landscape and the curves fail horribly - skies are well-exposed or even almost blown-out, while the shadows are barely above black. The data is there - just that the typical curves increase the midtone contrast rather than the shadow contrast, pushing the foreground deep into the blacks. Which is not what the eye-brain combination sees at all - when looking at the foreground, we are able to see lots of detail there and don't register it as particularly dark, because our pupils dilate and our retinal sensitivity increases. And the pupil and retina change on the fly as we look from the foreground to the bright background and to the foreground again, putting together an image in our brain with both foreground and background detail, without one or the other being blown out or underexposed.

In short, taking something straight out of camera and shooting at the 'correct' white balance is no more realistic than applying filters and adjusting the bit-toning curves manually (not local contrast enhancement - that's an entirely different matter), and probably less true to what the eye-brain combination see. This is because the camera applies default curves and colour processing anyway, which tend to reflect what the human eye sees in typical family portraits and other low-DR, mid-morning lighting situations much more than what the eye/brain sees in high-DR situations with intense coloured lighting, such as a sunset or a strongly-backlit wedding scene. Change the lighting, change the DR and you have to change the curves and the white balance - but the camera doesn't do that in a way that reflects what the brain sees (not the eye - the eye darts between different parts of the scene, changing its 'exposure' characteristics on the fly, and the brain puts it all together into one large panorama). And, unlike the human brain, the camera only responds to incoming photons, not non-visual senses or mood - people will often 'see' a sunset as warm-toned (because it's warm) and an ice field landscape as cool-toned (because it's cold) but the camera doesn't reflect that without adjustments by the photographer.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:28:11 pm by shadowblade »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up