Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quiraing Trotternish #2  (Read 1506 times)

HSway

• Sunwaysite
Quiraing Trotternish #2
« on: November 23, 2014, 06:39:58 am »

http://kevinraber.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/biblical-isel-of-skye-2-1.jpg

Stunning piece.

Seldom do I like the road in the frame like this.

My wife sort of hated the vignette. I think it’s an ingenious touch. This image is perfect both ways.

I just opened LuLa. What a welcome.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Quiraing Trotternish #2
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 12:05:21 pm »

Thank You.

It was an amazing few hours of photography at this location.  Only in Scotland do you have rain, sun, wind, rainbows, and god rays at the same time.  I appreciate your comment about the road.  I wrestled with that for a while.  I have a tighter crop version but after consideration the road adds something.  The shiny areas of the road are wet spots and puddles. The way it comes in and then out of the frame works for me.  I have a 44 x 72 inch print of these two images made at this location on the walls of my gallery.  The detail in the image is immersive.  You stand away from the print and see something and you move closer to see the details and the details are there.  The white specks are sheep.  In the print you can see the legs of the sheep. I shoot with a lot of different cameras and really enjoy the mirror less options these days, but there is still nothing that compares to an image made with an 80 megapixel back.

Kevin Raber
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:57:31 pm by Kevin Raber »
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:18:09 pm »

I like this one even more than the first Q-T image you posted.  The light as it falls on the hills is just sublime, and I love God Beams!  The inclusion of the road brought on a strange confliction.  Right off the bat I liked it -- it added some scale to the scene, and a touch of humanity to a rather alien looking landscape.  Then I started to crop it out with my hand, thinking it might look better without.  In the end, I'm glad you left it in.

Edit:  Are those white specks on the hills above the road sheep? Cattle?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:25:26 pm by Rick Popham »

HSway

• Sunwaysite
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:11:55 pm »

Thank you for commenting Kevin. More often than not it happens to me that the scene I shot is then rediscovered fully in details and certain aspects on the screen and then yet again in the large print where it just looks different. Plus shooting in the terrain comes with its own specifics like time, weather etc. as we know well. Btw, I believe you every word about the 80mp back capture..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:01:50 pm by HSway »

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:57:06 am »

"Quiraing Trotternish"
Presumably named after a character in James Herbert's "Dune".
Pages: [1]   Go Up