Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting 30x40 inch prints on gatorboard  (Read 2001 times)

davidgriffith

mounting 30x40 inch prints on gatorboard
« on: November 14, 2014, 04:17:35 pm »

I will be printing up an exhibit with my epson- large 30 x40s on photo paper but have been having trouble mounting them on gatorboard without creases or waviness. I've tried spraymount, adhesive and gel all with negative results. Any suggestions? (many labs are reluctant to mount images that they don't print)

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: mounting 30x40 inch prints on gatorboard
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 04:35:25 pm »

(many labs are reluctant to mount images that they don't print)

This is surprising to me. I've had a local graphics shop mount & laminate all my large pieces (up to 40"x60" on CODA Mural mounts that I purchased), and they've done it for a very reasonable fee. Maybe it was the beer I brought them as a tip.

I realize you're doing this by hand, but at these sizes it's best to use a roller laminator. This ensures a flat, straight, mount. And if the operator knows what he's doing, it's dustpimple-free.

If you're absolutely stuck, you'll need two people and a large table. I'd use a cold-mount double-release adhesive on a roll. Mount the adhesive to the foamboard first. This allows you to align the print fairly well. Then take the backing off the adhesive at one edge. Take the print, roll it up, and unroll it as your assistant peels off the adhesive backing. Use a hand brayer to apply pressure. Go slowly. Trim to size after you're done.
~ CB

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:48:21 pm »

If you don't have a press don't use sticky board. I have a hand press but even with power ones a percentage of them go wrong, so I can understand labs not wanting to mount large prints for you if they didn't print them. What is in it for them if they wreck it?

If you want to go that way anyway then use the thickest paper you can, at least 300gsm and a hand roller.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

huguito

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

I mount Matte papers and canvas on gatorboard the following way, works great.

Place the gator on a table and put a couple of pieces of double side tape on the back to make sure is not moving.
Place the print in top of it, you should have a bit of print over the edges of the board, I try to have at least 14 of an inch of print over the edge of the board in all sides.
I then place over half of the prints some soft weights, sandwich bags with coins, soft bags of lead balls that you can find in dive shops,etc
Fold loosely the side of the print not held by weights over the other half, and roll a not too heavy coat of Miracle Muck on it.
Roll the print back to the gator, letting it roll back to flat, if you see crises or a big bubble, lift and re-position.
Move the weights over to the side with the glue and repeat folding and gluing.
Roll over the print surface a soft, clean and dry paint roller, edge to edge, covering the whole print, in all directions
I then rest the print face down for few hours with weights on it to keep from curling, normally it curls on its own and then comes back to flat by itself, but just in case I use soft weights.
After few hours trim it and you are done.
Start with a couple of small prints, you get the hang of it soon.

Hugo

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 05:33:34 pm »

Nice, Hugo.  :)
~ CB

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:10:49 pm »

Just to say I have also had problems recently in getting smaller print shops to mount work that I have printed myself.

In the UK the big London shops will do this though, so if you are UK based you just need enough time in the production process to get the work to and from there.  A. Bliss in London will mount anything on anything, beautifully, for a price!

After spending two days mounting my last show myself on foam core I am planning to use them for the next one.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up