Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium Format @ PDN PhotoPlus 2014  (Read 2269 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Medium Format @ PDN PhotoPlus 2014
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:58:21 am »

Hey guys, sorry this is a bit late, however I now have my full-article online from PDN PhotoPlus 2014 featuring Digital Transitions (PhaseOne / MamiyaLeaf), PhaseOne CaptureOne 8 Pro, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Alpa Switzerland and Blazing Images. All of these are featured in videos presented by representatives of the respective companies. I hope you like them, as usual I'm summarize some of my thoughts here;

PhaseOne / MamiyaLeaf showed all of their models through Digital Transitions, and I hope my video helps some people to be able to distinguish through their different models.

My CaptureOne 8 Pro video (presented by Doug Peterson) presents some of the new improvements and refinements in CaputreOne Pro 8 that were presented at the Digital Transitions 11 Year Anniversary / PDN PhotoPlus 2014 Kickoff party.

Arca-Swiss was present at the DT booth and showed off all of their exciting new goodies. Personally, I am very excited about the possibilities of the Universalis and I think, given its full versatility and its ability to integrate with Arca-Swiss's new dEx system of focusing aides and electronic leaf and focal plane shutters provides a very interesting and compact package that packs a punch.

Cambo is one of my favorite companies and the new Actus miniature view camera is pretty cool. Its notably smaller then the Arca-Swiss Universalis however it is very rigid and allows for interchangeable use of 35mm and medium format cameras (so does the Universalis). Its compact size seriously helps it to compete with the Arca-Swiss Universalis. The Universalis wins if you are going to want to use dEx or are already a Arca-Swiss user but want something more then a technical camera that only a (miniature) view camera can provide.

Alpa was also present and they showed off some new mounts for the FPS including Hasselblad H, Contax 645, and Rollei 6008 mounts with planned electronic connectivity for a number of new possibilities (more about this in the video / in my notes)

Blazing Editions was introduced to me by Lance and they offer a number of really cool metallic printing options that are fun to learn about (in the video) and also are extremely sharp looking prints.

http://brianhirschfeldphotography.com/2014/11/07/pdn-photoplus-2014-coverage/

Let me know what you guys think.

Best,
BH
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

JV

Re: Medium Format @ PDN PhotoPlus 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 08:15:52 am »

Brian,

Thanks for the write-up.  Two questions:

1) Did you get an opportunity to see the new Leica S?  I believe it also was on display at PhotoPlus.

2) Any possibility that Capture One will allow plugins in the future?

I use Silver Efex Pro and it works well for B&W conversions.  The film emulations are definitely distinct from film but pleasing to the eye IMO.

Rather than trying to do everything themselves IMO it would be beneficial for end users if Capture One had a more open architecture that allowed plugins like Silver Efex Pro and Tonality Pro.

Thanks, Joris.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:52:43 am »

Brian:

Thanks for the write up.  Not as much announced as I had hoped.  

One thing I would add to the Arca Universalis is that with the new FS shutter, a user can have the ability to use a Canon TS-E lens, at least that was talked about at Photokina.  Plus as you mentioned, anyone with a current R mount lens, can move right over to the Universalis, and start working with an A7r, which is an excellent solution in the field.  I was disappointed to see that Arca did not give the Universalis geared swing, only tilt.  As on the DSLR2, the geared swing is excellent.  

Also, did Arca have a working FS shutter? with all the electrical WiFi pieces (both modules).  I had high hopes for the FS, but will the 8K price point (that includes shutter Wifi and controller modules and swapping 5 lens tubes), it came in a bit too high for me.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:42:03 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »

@JV - I didn't think to look at the Leica S because the PDN Booth has been off-puting to me the past couple of years. I feel like I need to come with all three of my cameras around my neck and all my lenses swinging to even get the time of day from them...I did go over there to look at the Sinar Leica-S view camera thingy which was insanely large, way to bulky, and clearly not made for the S. So it will be interested to see where they go with that....if anywhere....however I hope to work with my friends at the Leica Store Soho to set up some review time with the new S since it is interesting (particularly since it isn't based off of the Sony chip).

Also the last time I asked I believe there was no plan to really allow in plug-ins to C1 (I may be wrong). However I do agree that this is something that could be beneficial for users. There is a C1 SDK, though I'm really not sure what its for since I'm not a programmer and its not like they want you to download it and make you camera work with the software or something. But I'm not an expert in this by any means.

@Paul, I believe that everything was working, I don't think they had dEx module, but it might have been on one of the display cameras. I'm actually not familiar with the price of the system, how much of that price was the 5 lens tubes swaps?

And they didn't have the Canon / Nikon mounts yet but they did mention that they are coming. Personally, I think that the Arca-Swiss solution is a bit more elegant then the FPS since it allows for way more options in terms of using what you already have.  The FPS however has many more features, but is somewhat limiting in terms of technical camera lens options (only the SB lenses). but it offers a number of things that the AS doesn't even try to.

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 04:20:40 am »

Regarding the universalis vs actus size, the  A/S camera lets you shoot up to 4x5" too. It may not matter to most here but it sure does to me :)

Basically I see it as a lightweight F-Line rather than a new 'concept' like the actus. As Paul said there are some strange technical choices though... I hope to test one soon and see how it goes.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:54:23 am »

Thanks for the writeup, Brian. Will watch the videos shortly.

On question about using the TS E lenses on a view/ tech camera. Does one use the movements in the lens or the body?
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 11:43:46 am »

On the Universalis I believe you could use either as the lens has movements as does the Universalis.

Universalis is a bit different in the rear standard and rise and fall.

Edit. My last statement was confusing. As I understand the Universalis,  the rear part where rise is controlled allows upward movement only, so you start at 0 and can go up for rise. This is unlike the Arca DSLR2 which has the ability to give both rise and fall from the rear.  On the Universalis the front mount where the lens is mounted will allow movements for fall but it's with the lens not the camera body. This is how I understand it.

Paul

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:34:08 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 08:52:33 am »

On the Universalis I believe you could use either as the lens has movements as does the Universalis.

Universalis is a bit different in the rear standard and rise and fall.

Paul

Thanks for the clarification, Paul. The canon TSE lenses on an RM3Di is one possibility I am very excited about!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:19:45 am »

Sorry didn't see the question. Only direct experience that I have using TS's on a "tech cam" was the Hartblei Hcam, and in that instance I tilted / shifted the lens using the controls on the lens like I would on a normal DSLR.

As Paul says, I think that you should theoretically be able to use either if it were mounted on something like the universalis, though personally I can't really see any reason why you would want to use the movements on the camera body itself and not the lens but its also late here and there might be some obvious reason why you might want to move the body and not the lens. Anyway thats my two cents.

Best,
BH
Pages: [1]   Go Up