Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How thick can the Epson 3880 print? I want to print CDs with front loading tray.  (Read 2255 times)

crwoo

Hi, I want to make a DIY CD printing tray for my 3880 and I am wondering how thick I can feed. the specs say 1.5mm which is about the thickness of a CD, that sounds thin to me. especially when people talk about making metal prints with it. I saw where a video on youtube where someone printed CDs with it. can anyone help me?

mbaginy

Hmm, the Epson 3880 printing CDs?!!   ???  Then I could phase out my old Canon i9950 (which I only use for CDs now).  I sure wish the 3880 could print CDs.  I'll keep track of your success.  That's very interesting!

crwoo

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction

Looks like some sort of CD frame/holder that goes through the rear feed of the printer and then mated to some sort of printer template.  Pretty cool accessory----now where to get it??  ;)

Mike Raub

It looks like the product of a company in Brazil who has applied for a patent on the device. They'll probably ultimately set up a distribution chain or sell on eBay.

AFairley

I have run 4-ply matt board through the 3800 using the rear FRONT feed with no problem, but that's a little less than 1.5mm.  Since CDs are the same thickness as 4-ply (I measure 1.3mm) a printing tray would be 6-ply (4 for the cutout to hold the CD and 2 for the base.  I make that to be about 2mm.  Maybe you can use heavy paper for the base and hit 1.5.

EDIT:  Actually I am not certain what ply board I printed on, but it does measure 1.3mm.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:03:07 am by AFairley »

crwoo

Hi, I am new to the 3880 and mine is inside a shelf, everybody is talking about the rear feeder. why wouldn't I use the front feeder?
My plan is to get a sheet hard and thin material, coat it with some sticky stuff, make a template and print it on that sheet, place the CDs where the template printed. My main concern is if the CDs would bump on the head and damage it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

Hi, I am new to the 3880 and mine is inside a shelf, everybody is talking about the rear feeder. why wouldn't I use the front feeder?
My plan is to get a sheet hard and thin material, coat it with some sticky stuff, make a template and print it on that sheet, place the CDs where the template printed. My main concern is if the CDs would bump on the head and damage it.
I think everyone is talking about the same feeder, although you are correct in that it is the front feeder.  Technically the rear feeder is the alternate feed path via the rear sheet guide that is attached to the back of the printer. but sometimes the thick media feeder is called the rear feeder by some because the media sticks out of the back of the printer.

I think you are right, if you try it the way you suggest, you could easily ruin the head.  The only “safe” way to do it is make a carrier board, where the CD surface is even with top surface of the board.  I don’t think the opening has to be a perfect circle like the ones that come with the lower end epson printers, but I do think somehow when you load the board, you want the full width of the media to be as thick as the area where the CD is located.
Pages: [1]   Go Up