Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC monitor won't calibrate  (Read 6740 times)

wmchauncey

NEC monitor won't calibrate
« on: November 09, 2014, 06:52:30 am »

Hand assembled new computer will not allow color calibration with previously used NEC PA271w monitor.    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 video card.

Downloaded and installed latest version of software from NEC website...http://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Downloads 
4th one down onto "C" drive>using original X-Rite  eye-one display 2 sensor unit that hangs on monitor face>run software and it gets to 38% while adjusting white point,
then everything turns a hideous pink color while it is "attempting to stabilize">if I leave it run, it will eventually give a message that says "an error occurred while adjusting
 the white point" and shut itself off without finishing calibration process.

My troubleshooting steps to date...numerous un/reinstall of software which results in the same outcome>disconnecting new computer and substituting of old computer>
resulted in a proper calibration process, worked like gangbusters>reinstalled new computer resulting in same problems.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be going wrong here?     ???
The things you do for yourself die with

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: NEC monitor won't calibrate
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 01:33:00 pm »

It might be the calibration puck. My i1 puck went bad after I updated spectravision. Same type of problem 2/3 thirds of the way through the calibration the process would stop and everything would take a red tint and the process stopped eventually erroring out.

I switched to the puck with my 2690 and the calibration went fine.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

wmchauncey

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 03:08:30 pm »

Partner, you lost me...my puck is an original X-Rite, eye-one display 2. 
Are you suggesting that I need a new one when it works fine using my old computer?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:37:04 pm »

Partner, you lost me...my puck is an original X-Rite, eye-one display 2. 
Are you suggesting that I need a new one when it works fine using my old computer?
may be try a different software ? trial of BasicColor display supports your NEC (hardware calibration)

ned

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:31:01 am »

It might be the calibration puck. My i1 puck went bad after I updated spectravision. Same type of problem 2/3 thirds of the way through the calibration the process would stop and everything would take a red tint and the process stopped eventually erroring out.

Paul

Interesting, puck should not go bad after updating the software, however I am in the middle of a similar situation after upgrading Spectraview II to version 1.17. I started to get either a failure to adjust the luminance level or a loss of communications to the sensor I1pro2. I sent my sensor to Xrite and they sent me a replacement and I still can't get things to work. My original sensor was tested with no problems found, I1 diagnostic found no issues with my current sensor. I re-installed the OS, even replaced my motherboard and still it will not work. I can calibrate with the same sensor/monitor on another computer, even my macbook. My Intel based Z87/Z97 chipset motherboards no longer work with Spectraview.

Something is screwy. 

wmchauncey

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:54:02 am »

Update...per time spent with Steve in NEC level 2 customer support running tests on my old and new computer while attached
to same monitor and running the X-rite eye-one display puck:
Based on erroneous readings based on white, red, green, and blue numbers, on both computers...he suggested that I have a faulty sensor/puck. 
He suggested replacing with a  SpectraSensor Pro Color Calibration Sensor.

Any comments on his choice?

Doug Fisher

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 11:24:12 am »

Isn't that just a rebadged Xrite Display Pro?  I am pretty sure that is the case.  If so, I would avoid buying the NEC version because, at least in the past, it was limited to just working with NEC stuff.  One of their techs told me earlier this year that with the newest versions of the sensors there is no appreciable difference between the NEC version and the Xrite version.  I would buy the Xrite version so that I could also calibrate tablets, phones and possible future other monitor systems.

Doug

ned

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 11:30:15 am »

Update...per time spent with Steve in NEC level 2 customer support running tests on my old and new computer while attached
Based on erroneous readings based on white, red, green, and blue numbers, on both computers...he suggested that I have a faulty sensor/puck. 

Having spend hours on the phone with both nec and xrite, I have respect for both. However in my case NEC support said I had a bad blue channel (which xrite said can't happen). Sensor was sent in for repair at over $500 replacement cost only to find out that a) my original sensor tested good at x-rite and b) I have the same issue with a replacement sensor that also tests good using xrite diagnostics.

Hope replacing your sensor works for you...

ned

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 11:37:06 am »

Isn't that just a rebadged Xrite Display Pro?  I am pretty sure that is the case.  If so, I would avoid buying the NEC version because, at least in the past, it was limited to just working with NEC stuff.  One of their techs told me earlier this year that with the newest versions of the sensors there is no appreciable difference between the NEC version and the Xrite version.  I would buy the Xrite version so that I could also calibrate tablets, phones and possible future other monitor systems.

Doug

My understanding is that the nec branded sensor is "tuned" to better handle wide gamut displays. Not sure what that actually means but that's what I have read...

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 12:27:36 pm »

you wrote = "disconnecting new computer and substituting of old computer resulted in a proper calibration process" ??? so it was not a proper calibration then ?

wmchauncey

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 02:20:14 pm »

It said that it was but, after Steve checked the numbers, they were way off.
After checking our own site, http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/i1display_pro.shtml ...
I ordered one of them.    ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up