Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exposing to the right  (Read 2885 times)

Khurram

Exposing to the right
« on: December 09, 2005, 12:27:36 am »

just a followup on my other questions on shooting digital.

I want to pose the following scenerio.  Let's say i'm shooting at one my favorite locations, schwabbacker landing in the tetons.

It's sunrise, and the snow covered peaks are lit by first light.  1/3 of the peaks are lit by sunrise, 2/3 are still in shadow, the treeline is in shadow, the beaver pond below is in shadow and there is a reflection of the sunlit peaks in the pond.

With film, i would take a reading off the peaks, and pond - generally the there is uusally a 2 stop difference between the sunlit peaks and the reflection in the pond.
I would over expose by about a stop to stop and half to bring the sunlit peaks to 18% grey.  ensure that there is indeed a 2 stop diff between the sunlit peaks and the reflection, stop down to by two stops to ensure that the reflection is properly exposed and then use a two stop nuetral grad over the peaks to control contrast and let the rest of the scene fall where it may.

In this situation, how would you expose for digtial???  How would you use expose to the right using the histogram??? Lets ssume that a two stop neutral grad will still be used to control the contrast in the scene between the sunlit peaks and the reflection that is in shadow.

My understaning, is that for digital, you would still expose for the highlights (and still account for the fact that the sunlit peaks are not 18% greay).  However, the difference for digital, would be that you would add as much exposure as possible, until the brightest part of the scene (sunlit peaks) start flashing in the histogram, in order to reduce the noise in the shadow area.

Is this reasoning correct??? Just want to make sure that I understood the exposing to the right technique correctly.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Exposing to the right
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 12:40:36 am »

Yes, your guess is correct.

If you believe in the expose to the right theory, then you would indeed expose so that the brightest part of the scene is just short of being fully blown.

In the scenario you describe where the DR of the scene probably exceeds that of the sensor, this is probably just the correct exposure, and you will probably not need to adjust in post.

Besides, if the shadows are really too dark, what I typically do is to shoot one or more additional exposures at +2/3 and +1 1/3 stop. I will then overlay these exposures in photoshop, which corresponds to the usage of a a grad filter in the field.

Regards,
Bernard

francois

Exposing to the right
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 03:51:36 am »

...Besides, if the shadows are really too dark, what I typically do is to shoot one or more additional exposures at +2/3 and +1 1/3 stop. I will then overlay these exposures in photoshop, which corresponds to the usage of a a grad filter in the field...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Khurram has not yet invested in Photoshop so I guess that blending multiple exposures is out. So if DR is too wide he will need a grad filter...

When I'm facing ETTR dilemma, I always shot twice, one "normal" exposure and one ETTR.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 03:54:03 am by francois »
Francois

Khurram

Exposing to the right
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 10:33:58 am »

Bernard/Francois,
Thanks for your feedback. Now it's time for me to apply this in the field and test how far to the right I should go.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

francois

Exposing to the right
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 10:37:47 am »

Bernard/Francois,
Thanks for your feedback. Now it's time for me to apply this in the field and test how far to the right I should go.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53139\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Let us know how your first "digital" experience went!
Good luck.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up