Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Kevin's article, "Two Weeks With The Olympus E-M1"  (Read 10747 times)

Ray

Kevin's article, "Two Weeks With The Olympus E-M1"
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:54:07 pm »

I read this article from Kevin with interest because the problems of equipment weight and size can be an issue, especially as one gets older.
However, those of us who are a bit obsessed with fundamental image quality (from the technical perspective) tend to be reluctant to downsize and sacrifice the image quality we are used to and appreciate, at least I am.

When reading Kevin's article, I was struck by the following comment.
Kevin writes:
"The 100-300mm easily fit into this pocket. How cool is that? I was walking around with a 600mm equivalent lens in my pocket."

Kevin then goes on to show 2 images comparing the size of a Nikon D800-E with a monstrous Tamron 150-600mm zoom attached, and the Olympus OMD E-M1 with the very much smaller Panasonic 100-300 zoom attached, describing the 100-300 zoom as equivalent to a 200-600 and asking, "Which System would you want to carry all day?"

It occurred to me, when I saw these images, that they are a bit misleading, especially for 'newbies' who may not be au fait with the significance and ramifications of so-called 'full-frame lens equivalence'.

So, out of curiosity and for my own benefit, I've done my own comparison to see how significant are the benefits of a lighter system such as the OMD E-M1, with 100-300 zoom, compared with a D800E, which is a camera I own.

The first point that is necessary to understand, when making comparisons between different formats of cameras, is that there's not necessarily any difference between a manufacturer's crop of the sensor and your own crop of the image from a larger-format sensor, depending on pixel density.

The pixel density of the E-M1 is greater than that of the D800E,. therefore when we crop the image from the D800E to the same size and format of the E-M1 image, so that both images have an identical angle of view, the D800E will have the disadvantage of slightly fewer pixels, approximately 9.4 mp compared with the 16 mp of the E-M1. However, in terms of angle of view, that massive 150-600 lens on the D800E becomes the equivalent of a 300-1200 mm lens in relation to the sensor size and format of the E-M1. Equivalence works both ways.

So, with this in mind, I wondered what the real trades-off would be if we were to compare a D800E with Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR F4.5-5.6, and the E-M1 with Panasonic 100-300 F4-F5.6. (I can't find an exactly equivalent zoom lens of 100-300 for the Nikon.)

The obvious advantage is the lower cost of the E-M1 system of course, but what about the other advantages of weight, image quality and effective zoom range?
The weight of the E-M1 with 100-300 zoom will be about 729 gms lighter than the D800E with Nikkor zoom attached. That's noticeably but not particularly significant for me, especially when compared with the 'effective' wider range of a 70-300 on the D800E, or even a 100-300 if such a lens were available.

One can always crop an image to get a narrower angle of view, but getting a wider angle of view than the limits of one's lens and sensor, requires stitching, which is not always practical when trying to capture the moment, or whenever the subject is moving.

A 100-300 zoom on the D800E gives one the flexibility, in terms of E-M1 equivalence, of a 50-300 zoom. A 70-300 gives one the equivalence of 35-300 mm. That's a much more useful range than 100-300 on the E-M1. In other words, in order to get the same angle of view with a 100 mm lens on the E-M1, as one would get with a 100 mm lens on the D800E with no cropping, one would need to use a 50 mm lens.

So, already that additional 720 gms of weight might be justified. We've effectively doubled the zoom range of the lens on the D800E.
But what about image quality? I think it's reasonable to assume that at maximum zoom, after cropping the D800E image to only 9.4 mp, the E-M1 image at 16mp will be sharper, at least in the centre. At the edges and corners probably not. How much sharper would be interesting to see.

However, the reverse would be true as we move towards a wider angle of view. For example, if one is using the E-M1 at 150mm, one would not attempt to get the same angle of view by using the lens on the D800E at 150mm then crop to 9.4 mp. One would use the lens on the D800E at 300mm, then crop slightly to get a 4/3 aspect ratio if that was desired. A 30 mp image is likely to be significantly sharper than a 16 mp image, and the same applies to all focal lengths between 150 and 50 mm (or 150 mm and 35 mm). There will be some crossover point between 150mm and 300mm where the E-M1 begins to appear sharper than the cropped D800E image. That crossover point might be around 250 mm, but I'm just guessing of course.

In summary, if Kevin had shown an image of the D800E attached to a Nikkor 70-300 lens and asked "Which System would you want to carry all day?", I would have replied, definitely the D800E because of its significantly wider zoom range, significantly higher resolution between 35 mm and 150 mm, and significantly lower noise and higher DR across most of that zoom range.  ;)

deejjjaaaa

Re: Kevin's article, "Two Weeks With The Olympus E-M1"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:28:47 am »

But what about image quality? I think it's reasonable to assume that at maximum zoom, after cropping the D800E image to only 9.4 mp, the E-M1 image at 16mp will be sharper, at least in the centre. At the edges and corners probably not. How much sharper would be interesting to see.
D800e does not have EFCS, E-M1 has... so unless you bolt your D800e to a big cinder block it ain't give you 36mp or 9.x mp either... good luck... PS: do not suggest D810 either - you need to mirror up to use it.

Ray

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:06:07 am »

D800e does not have EFCS, E-M1 has... so unless you bolt your D800e to a big cinder block it ain't give you 36mp or 9.x mp either... good luck... PS: do not suggest D810 either - you need to mirror up to use it.

Good point, but this is a separate issue which applies only in specific circumstances when a slow shutter speed and/or tripod is required. My understanding is that mirror slap has a noticeable effect on resolution only at relatively slow shutter speeds, on a tripod, between roughly 1/2 a second to 1/30th, and maybe very marginally between 1 sec and 1/60th, depending on camera model. Hand-holding a camera dampens mirror slap, and I suspect it also dampens shutter vibration.

I've never tested for the effects of shutter vibration on my D800E. Do you have any links to specific and reliable information which demonstrates the problem? For optimum resolution with my D800E at 300mm, using a VR lens hand-held, I would attempt to use a shutter speed in excess of 1/FL, say 1/500th or 1/640, but I believe I can often get good results at 1/FL, but not so reliably.

I don't believe shutter vibration would be a problem at such speeds. If you think it would be, I'm prepared to do some testing, because I'd like to know.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:50:36 am »

Where these weight / size comparisons fall apart is in trying to define "equivalence" and applying that to the decisions someone makes when hauling around camera equipment. It is fine for trying to discuss fair forum comparisons, but I find it has little to do with the end result: What equipment will someone actually take when heading out with a specific camera system, and what is required including bags and accessory equipment?

Lens choice isn't done in a vacuum. My technical camera system weighs less than my DSLR system, but the lenses aren't close to the same thing. I don't have a 14-24 zoom that weighs 1000 gms on the tech camera, and not only because one doesn't exist; I use the cameras differently and hence have no need for a zoom with the tech camera. On the other hand, I don't carry an almost 2 lb "normal" lens with my DSLR like I do with the technical camera.

Same with my Sony a7r vs. DSLR. I could use my 70-200 f/4 on the Sony, but I don't; instead I simply take a 90 f/2 prime. Why? Because it is an option that is so much smaller and lighter, the zoom wouldn't focus well at all, and the 90 f/2 is really, really good. You could argue that I could carry a prime with the DSLR too, but in the context of a fast, accurate-focusing DSLR the zoom makes a lot of sense because I can take better advantage of its versatility.

Kevin is putting effectively a very long telephoto in his pocket. No bag, lens case, etc. When considering everything that goes with someone into the field, that is a big difference. The choices we make, especially when it comes to lenses are influenced by a whole lot of factors, many of them not directly related to the lens itself.

Dave

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:33:01 am »

I am not sure what the point Ray is trying to make.  This was an article about my experience using the Olympus system.  It was a fun two weeks and a lot of fun to use and a heck of a lot lighter than my Nikon system.  While you can do all the math you want, the point I am making is that full frame in the Olympus with the zoom 100-300mm lens I was using is the same as using 200-600 on a full frame DSLR. The closest lens I had in my extensive Nikon Lens arsenal was the Tamron 150 - 600mm.  Simply put I could have taken a higher resolution Nikon D800 system out on the streets of London and Cologne but I wouldn't have been able to get the shot of the boy with the red balloon or the girl against a column.  Number one it would have been very hard to hand hold the shot, and I would have been very visible.  There is a huge difference in the end of a 16mp vs a 36mp resolution file and because of this I still have my Nikon system.  But the convenience as well as the light weight easy to use system was so very nice. 

I know what I see when I look through both systems.  I get the shot I'm looking for and in the end that is all that counts.   I have also made a number of 17x22 inch prints from images made during the trip and they are tack sharp.  I have also pushed the long edge width to 30 inches on my 9900 printer.  The print while acceptable has reached a point where it is beginning to go soft.  I really enjoyed the Olympus  and it is a very customizable and versatile camera system,  I can't wait for the 40-150mm pro lens and 1.4 tele extender.

I head for Scotland in less that two weeks.  On this trip the Fuji X-T1 will get a work out.  I'll do a similar story on my return.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

michael

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:38:04 am »

Kevin...

There's math and then there's photography. Never confuse the two.  :)

Michael

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:29:49 am »

Good point, but this is a separate issue which applies only in specific circumstances when a slow shutter speed and/or tripod is required. My understanding is that mirror slap has a noticeable effect on resolution only at relatively slow shutter speeds, on a tripod, between roughly 1/2 a second to 1/30th, and maybe very marginally between 1 sec and 1/60th, depending on camera model. Hand-holding a camera dampens mirror slap, and I suspect it also dampens shutter vibration.

EFCS is not about mirror flap (and E-M1 has no mirror either)... shutter shock effect is noticealbe till 1/200 at least... but with dSLRs (Canons, Nikon 810) you can't use EFCS in a normal operation - your have to use LV (mirror up) - not sure what prevents them from using EFCS in a regular operation.

I've never tested for the effects of shutter vibration on my D800E. Do you have any links to specific and reliable information which demonstrates the problem? For optimum resolution with my D800E at 300mm, using a VR lens hand-held, I would attempt to use a shutter speed in excess of 1/FL, say 1/500th or 1/640, but I believe I can often get good results at 1/FL, but not so reliably.

try search for A7r and D8** @ blog.kasson.com (the author is participating in LuLa forums)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:37:19 am »

EFCS is not about mirror flap (and E-M1 has no mirror either)... shutter shock effect is noticealbe till 1/200 at least... but with dSLRs (Canons, Nikon 810) you can't use EFCS in a normal operation - your have to use LV (mirror up) - not sure what prevents them from using EFCS in a regular operation.

try search for A7r and D8** @ blog.kasson.com (the author is participating in LuLa forums)

The Canon and Nikon D810 works differently with EFCS. The Canons always have EFCS available in LV, but D810 only with the top left dial on MUP. And EFCS on the D810 is available also with MUP outside of LV which the Canons does not.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 10:46:38 am »

I am not sure what the point Ray is trying to make.  This was an article about my experience using the Olympus system.  It was a fun two weeks and a lot of fun to use and a heck of a lot lighter than my Nikon system.  While you can do all the math you want, the point I am making is that full frame in the Olympus with the zoom 100-300mm lens I was using is the same as using 200-600 on a full frame DSLR. The closest lens I had in my extensive Nikon Lens arsenal was the Tamron 150 - 600mm.  Simply put I could have taken a higher resolution Nikon D800 system out on the streets of London and Cologne but I wouldn't have been able to get the shot of the boy with the red balloon or the girl against a column.  Number one it would have been very hard to hand hold the shot, and I would have been very visible.  There is a huge difference in the end of a 16mp vs a 36mp resolution file and because of this I still have my Nikon system.  But the convenience as well as the light weight easy to use system was so very nice. 

I know what I see when I look through both systems.  I get the shot I'm looking for and in the end that is all that counts.   I have also made a number of 17x22 inch prints from images made during the trip and they are tack sharp.  I have also pushed the long edge width to 30 inches on my 9900 printer.  The print while acceptable has reached a point where it is beginning to go soft.  I really enjoyed the Olympus  and it is a very customizable and versatile camera system,  I can't wait for the 40-150mm pro lens and 1.4 tele extender.

I head for Scotland in less that two weeks.  On this trip the Fuji X-T1 will get a work out.  I'll do a similar story on my return.

Kevin Raber

I think his point was pretty clear. Such comparisons will always make such comments unless the text mentions the pros and cons of using one system over the other. For those not really understanding the differences between different systems and especially the implications of sensor size such comparisons can be quite misleading. A bit like the video of the mirrorless cameras where a huge Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 on a D800E was put next to a Sony with f/4 lenses ;) Not quite comparable. It's not about math, it's about comparing apples to apples (or at least close to) ;) As I mentioned in that thread some time ago, if you took a Canon full frame system with f/4 lenses and compared to Sony A7R with similar f/4 lenses, then the weight difference would be only 20%. Not a big deal. I think these articles would benefit from being a bit less sensational in the writing and presentation. Just my 2cents :)

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 10:57:03 am »

The Canon and Nikon D810 works differently with EFCS. The Canons always have EFCS available in LV, but D810 only with the top left dial on MUP. And EFCS on the D810 is available also with MUP outside of LV which the Canons does not.

sure, however the point is - you can't do a regular shooting (think street - not landscapes where you can prefocus, then mirror up, etc) using optical viewfinder (and PDAF) with EFCS and in many cases you find yourself in a shutter shock prone zone of exposure speeds doing it handheld... with mirrorless cameras you can (may be with Sony SLT too - not sure about that)... I am not sure what is the reason behind this... may be for dSLRs mirror slap is way bigger than shutter shock and it simply makes no sense to bother for a regular shooting

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 10:59:36 am »

it's about comparing apples to apples
comparing apples to apples might be from the scientific POV or from the point of view of what you will take with you... walking around with dSLR and 70-200/4 zoom ? no thank you... unless I need that to fend off some zombies.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:06 am »

sure, however the point is - you can't do a regular shooting (think street - not landscapes where you can prefocus, then mirror up, etc) using optical viewfinder (and PDAF) with EFCS and in many cases you find yourself in a shutter shock prone zone of exposure speeds doing it handheld... with mirrorless cameras you can (may be with Sony SLT too - not sure about that)... I am not sure what is the reason behind this... may be for dSLRs mirror slap is way bigger than shutter shock and it simply makes no sense to bother for a regular shooting

Sure, except you didn't make that point in your post ;) I simply pointed out how EFCS works on Canons (within the last 5 years) and the only Nikon with EFCS D810.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 11:17:58 am »

comparing apples to apples might be from the scientific POV or from the point of view of what you will take with you... walking around with dSLR and 70-200/4 zoom ? no thank you... unless I need that to fend off some zombies.

The point made was to make a comparison so that the pros and cons are understood. For some not needed, but for others absolutely needed. There is a huge sacrifice in IQ between the Nikon D800E and the Olympus 4/3 camera. Likely the real resolution is about 3x higher on the Nikon. There are many things to consider in a comparison between systems including how to compare lenses. An f/2.8 lens on a 4/3 system is not equivalent to a f/2.8 lens on a 35mm full frame camera. I'm sure you know that but the lesser informed may not quite understand that or even notice. The DOF for 4/3 at f/2.8 is closely the same as f/5.6 on 35mm full frame. So compare lenses that are equivalent which makes a huge difference in weight and size. Some shoot street disguised and others do not which also makes a big difference in what camera you will pick up.

trichardlin

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 02:02:20 pm »

The point made was to make a comparison so that the pros and cons are understood. For some not needed, but for others absolutely needed.

Kevin simply described his personal experience shooting the two formats.  I don't believe it was meant to be a technical comparison.

There is a huge sacrifice in IQ between the Nikon D800E and the Olympus 4/3 camera. Likely the real resolution is about 3x higher on the Nikon. There are many things to consider in a comparison between systems including how to compare lenses...

Again, your head is stuck in technical comparison, not the photography process.  For a photographer, if a tool can reasonably achieve intended image, then it's the tool she is going to grab when she goes out and shoot.  Many of your 'significant' differences, such as pixel density, resolution, DR, evaporate rapidly in the real world.  In the real world, what we have are shaky hands, fast moving kids, project deadlines, picture viewing environment, viewing distance, intended audience, etc, etc.  Unfortunately, these really important factors are not easily quantifiable.  So that left online warriors focus on these technical aspects of the tools. 

jeremyrh

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 02:40:09 pm »

Kevin simply described his personal experience shooting the two formats.  I don't believe it was meant to be a technical comparison.

Again, your head is stuck in technical comparison, not the photography process.  For a photographer, if a tool can reasonably achieve intended image, then it's the tool she is going to grab when she goes out and shoot.  Many of your 'significant' differences, such as pixel density, resolution, DR, evaporate rapidly in the real world.  In the real world, what we have are shaky hands, fast moving kids, project deadlines, picture viewing environment, viewing distance, intended audience, etc, etc.  Unfortunately, these really important factors are not easily quantifiable.  So that left online warriors focus on these technical aspects of the tools. 

Taking that argument to its logical extension, we can start showing pictures of a Hasselblad and an iPhone and ask which one is preferable to take with you.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 02:56:26 pm »

Hi,

Kevin shoots both MFD and APS/C, so I guess he knows a thing or two about formats.

My take is that if I would feel that the a 4/3 system does the job  and does it at 1/3 the weight, I would go for it. Quite probably, 4/3 is quite OK for A2 size prints, in an interview Ctein states this is the case, and who am I to argue? Some of my best prints printed at A2 are from 12 MP APS-C.

On the other hand, I generally want the best image quality I can afford, and that goes in the direction of larger formats.

Finally, whatever equipment we use, it is important to make best use of it. I regard the tripod as one of the essential pieces of my equipment.

Best regards
Erik

The point made was to make a comparison so that the pros and cons are understood. For some not needed, but for others absolutely needed. There is a huge sacrifice in IQ between the Nikon D800E and the Olympus 4/3 camera. Likely the real resolution is about 3x higher on the Nikon. There are many things to consider in a comparison between systems including how to compare lenses. An f/2.8 lens on a 4/3 system is not equivalent to a f/2.8 lens on a 35mm full frame camera. I'm sure you know that but the lesser informed may not quite understand that or even notice. The DOF for 4/3 at f/2.8 is closely the same as f/5.6 on 35mm full frame. So compare lenses that are equivalent which makes a huge difference in weight and size. Some shoot street disguised and others do not which also makes a big difference in what camera you will pick up.
Erik Kaffehr

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 03:27:59 pm »

The point made was to make a comparison so that the pros and cons are understood. For some not needed, but for others absolutely needed. There is a huge sacrifice in IQ between the Nikon D800E and the Olympus 4/3 camera. Likely the real resolution is about 3x higher on the Nikon.

I am not sure how did you come to 3x higher with 36mp camera w/o EFCS (and mirror slapping in street shooting) with mutually compensating AA filters (instead of not having it) vs 16mp camera with EFCS and no mirror to think about and really w/o any AA filter... somthing is wrong with both math and logic... and I am not even talking about PDAF precision of its focusing points vs CDAF precision in any point of the frame w/ any AF lens of any aperture under any light specturm w/o AF tuning of any kind...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:31:34 pm by deejjjaaaa »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 03:58:31 pm »

Hi,

Kevin shoots both MFD and APS/C, so I guess he knows a thing or two about formats.

My take is that if I would feel that the a 4/3 system does the job  and does it at 1/3 the weight, I would go for it. Quite probably, 4/3 is quite OK for A2 size prints, in an interview Ctein states this is the case, and who am I to argue? Some of my best prints printed at A2 are from 12 MP APS-C.

On the other hand, I generally want the best image quality I can afford, and that goes in the direction of larger formats.

Finally, whatever equipment we use, it is important to make best use of it. I regard the tripod as one of the essential pieces of my equipment.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, I would not disagree with your viewpoints as such. My comment was a critique to the essay that Kevin wrote. I cannot read into this what Kevin should or should not know.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:54 pm »

If Kevin was writing on a forum that would be fine, but now this is an article on LuLa  and therefore the expectation is different. If he cares about feedback or not is his business. I think he does.

My comment was on technical comparisons and therefore technical comments. You are right about tradeoffs and we all make them. I think you are inherently wrong about your comment on technical differences.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »

Hi,

Yes some good points. Regarding the EFCS, Nikon now has EFCS on the D810, but even the D800 was well damped according to research by Jim Kasson. Regarding the OLP filter, in my view this is simple BS. There is no difference in IQ between D800E and D810. The OLP filtering matters if you shoot at f/5.6 on tripod and MLU, but once you stop down to f/8 or f/11 I am pretty sure the difference is gone, due to diffraction.

Extracting high resolution is simply hard work.

I would say, that is very clear that the Nikon D810, my P45+ or any 80 MP back is way ahead any 4/3 camera with precision work and the stars in the right alignment. Anything less, it may not matter a lot.

If you don't see the results in presentation, why care?

Best regards
Erik

I am not sure how did you come to 3x higher with 36mp camera w/o EFCS (and mirror slapping in street shooting) with mutually compensating AA filters (instead of not having it) vs 16mp camera with EFCS and no mirror to think about and really w/o any AA filter... somthing is wrong with both math and logic... and I am not even talking about PDAF precision of its focusing points vs CDAF precision in any point of the frame w/ any AF lens of any aperture under any light specturm w/o AF tuning of any kind...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:12:09 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up