Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC Metallic v Hahnemule Metallic Canvas  (Read 577 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
BC Metallic v Hahnemule Metallic Canvas
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:32:20 pm »

I tried both with my z3100 and found the BC to be warmer and glossier. If you need to coat it would the metallicness of the surface be dulled down? But wouldn`t you need to coat the canvas to protect it? Any suggestions on a coating the would dull the surface the least?
Mike

Some Guy

Re: BC Metallic v Hahnemule Metallic Canvas
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:50:19 pm »

Try it and see if you like it.  Never know as one person's opinion on glossyiness or dullness with regards to spraying won't match another's.  Same for matte.

I spray for protection, and not necessarily the look.  If the look changes, it does.  Some sprays appear more glossy and others don't and can go really dull or matte.  I use a spray gun with Premier Arts "Print Shield" and it is sort of a "slight gloss" on metallics (In my opinion.  Could be Satin in another's.).

SG

Landscapes

Re: BC Metallic v Hahnemule Metallic Canvas
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:04:22 pm »

I actually have tried both, and you know, in the end, both kinda suck.  The thing is that you just cannot get away without coating.  It feels ok to the touch, but the minute you add a bit of moisture and rub, the ink comes right off.  I'm convinced that you could actually wash a canvas to make it new again!

The Hahnemule I found also had some series defects... like craters!  I never saw this when I just look at the roll, but once its printed, it is worse than any seed from a regular canas.  I had quite a bit of pooling as well of the ink so I had these round circles all over the place.  I've never seen this before so I didn't know to look for it until the 50 inches of canvas was used up.  Now they did say to use Special 5 setting on my ipf6100 which would be the heaviest ink load, so I could probably dial this back, but I still wasn't impressed.

I think the BC printed nicer, less defects, but the ink rubbed off easier.  Once coated, there really is no difference, so its a waste of money.  The Hahnemule is very expensive, and although the BC isn't as bad if you order 3 at a time, I just can't see using this unless that slight bit of metallic pop you love and you can make sure the canvas will never need to be wiped down or touched. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up