Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To lube or not to lube, that is the question.  (Read 1032 times)

jferrari

To lube or not to lube, that is the question.
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:56:45 pm »

For those of you chopping your own aluminum frames: Does your double miter saw have an auto-oiler installed or do you just chop dry? I've spent hours trying to find a consensus on this but found none. Thanks.   - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

framah

Re: To lube or not to lube, that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:04:39 am »

My Pistorius chop saw does have the auto lube feature but I never refilled it and as they are carbide blades, i really don't see enough difference to warrant me refilling it and having that fine spray slowly build a layer of sawdust all over the inside of the machine that I then have to take apart and clean.

Another thing is that if i want to chop wood after chopping metal and using the lube, I then have to get it off the blades so it doesn't get onto the miter cut on the wood thereby weakening the glue joint.

If you were only cutting metal on that saw then, yes I might keep using the lube.. especially if I'm cutting ALOT of metal frames.

But that's just me. ;D
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:38:21 pm »

I have dedicated a saw to metal only but I know what you mean about the overspray collecting over time. Are you able to go directly from the saw to assembly without "detailing" the miters? Thanks.    -Jim

framah

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 04:09:19 pm »

I think I know what you mean about detailing...

There is a tiny burr along the outside edge of the miter and I just take one of my exacto knives and scrape it off. I have gotten very good and quick at it. ;D
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jferrari

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:31:33 pm »

I think the technical term is a "wire edge" and that is exactly what I was talking about. Somehow I thought that the cuts would be pristine right off the saw but it's good to know that someone else is experiencing what I am. Thanks for the help.     - Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up