Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Coolscan 5 ED Questions  (Read 3871 times)

Steerpike

Nikon Coolscan 5 ED Questions
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:46:39 am »

I have just purchased the Coolscan 5 ED, with the goal of scanning approx. 2,000 old slides that I have accumulated over 30 years. I first borrowed a Minolta Dimage Dual Scan 4, but the dust handling was not good, so I ended up choosing the Coolscan 5 ED because of the inclusion of Digital ICE, and because I read very good reviews of it.  It's dust handling is truly awesome, and I'm generally thrilled by the scanner overall.  

But now I need to scan 2,000 slides ... and I'm looking for a fast workflow so I can complete the project before I die...

So my first question - Preview vs. Scan.
While I fully appreciate the value of the many processing tools in Nikon Scan 4.0, and the need to review each slide for it's particular characteristics, my goal is to get 'basic good scans' and then tweak them in Photoshop.  So all I really want to do in 'Nikon Scan' is apply the Digital ICE, ROC, and GEM in a standardized fashion and crank out the scans.  So - can I skip the 'preview' step? I'm assuming / hoping that the scanner does an autofocus on slide insert (I have autofocus set under 'Scanner Extras', and 'something' is being done when I insert the slide).  What about auto-exposure?  I have tried doing a 'preview', then a 'scan', and separately doing just a 'scan' (that is - insert slide, and immediately 'scan'), and the results appear the same (of course, assuming I don't do anything between 'preview' and 'scan').   Skipping the preview step allows me to speed up the process.

My second question relates to ROC (Restoration Of Color).
ROC seems to do a great job, most of the time. But once in a while it does not.  If I do a preview scan (contrary to my question 1, I know - this applies to the really special scans I'm doing that I want to come out 'perfect') with 'ROC' off, then turn it on and click 'redraw', it causes a second preview scan to occur, even though ROC is conceptually a purely 'digital' process.  Is there a reason ROC requires a re-scan to occur?  I understand that Digital-ICE is related to the scanner itself, using infrared beams to detect dust, etc, and thus, turning it on or off requires a rescan, but I don't understand why this applies to ROC.  Similarly, Once I have a final 'Scan', I can't seem to modify the ROC setting - it's grayed out.  I can change curves, LCH, etc and the changes reflect on the scanned image, but not ROC.  Is there a way to modify ROC without re-scanning?

Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up