Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portrait professional ?  (Read 1921 times)

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Portrait professional ?
« on: August 15, 2014, 05:25:10 am »

So I get non-stop ads flash up for Portrait Professional softwear no matter what I do on-line and it's really starting to bug me.
Generally, in the ads, the retouching looks like it was done by a chimp and looks plastic and terrible.
Curious if that was just the ads I clicked the link today and was STUNNED at how bad the sample photos are.
Not the original photos - the retouched versions.
 :o

Does anyone actually use this ??

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Portrait professional ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:42:15 am »

So I get non-stop ads flash up for Portrait Professional softwear no matter what I do on-line and it's really starting to bug me.

Hi David,

Welcome to the internet, where clicking on a link once will haunt you forever. I also get irritated by that, especially if I have already bought a product after thorough internet investigations.

Generally, in the ads, the retouching looks like it was done by a chimp and looks plastic and terrible.
Curious if that was just the ads I clicked the link today and was STUNNED at how bad the sample photos are.
Not the original photos - the retouched versions.

As always, there is the possibility to reduce (or increase) the amounts of correction that one applies. Just like with food, seasoning with salt, herbs, and spices, requires a delicate hand. I guess it's also similar to the over-processed HDRI tonemapping, at which I usually cringe.

Does anyone actually use this ??

Yes, and it's a real time saver, just dial back some of the controls, and create one or more presets that are more to your liking. I'm not saying one cannot do a better job by laborious retouching, but that takes a lot more time and experience to do better than Portrait Professional can achieve in a fraction of the time.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I've added a before/after animated example (not necessarily how I'd prefer doing it myself), demonstrating how much effect a 're-lighting' operation and some skin-tone adjustment (removing the reddishness as with make-up) has. That would take a lot of work to do without the assistamce of Portrait Professional. The original shot's lighting is pretty poor for a flattering portrait shot, but then I assume that a glamorous depiction wasn't the goal. One can of course also blend the result with the original.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:29:15 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:40:42 am »

Free download - Adblock Plus.

Should work with all browsers - certainly works a treat with Firefox. It takes about 3 seconds to install. Must be the best 3 seconds I have spent recently.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:05:19 am »

Yes, I had a copy to review, and found many of the examples truly awful.

However, I have occasionally used it since (at very light settings) for occasional people in my commercial images.
One recent client asked for a few head shots whilst I was photographing their warehouse. I found a location that had some very nice soft lighting, and only needed a single popup reflector to give a very flattering overall light setup. I took several shots of each person and included, with the samples I sent the client, a few that had been lightly 'tidied up' with PP. It was interesting to note that the images selected by the subjects (male and female) for prints almost all picked the slightly 'improved' versions ;-)

Note that I'm not a wedding or portrait photographer and likely wouldn't use it there if I was ;-)

I regard it very much as an HDR style effect, something that can easily lead to tackiness and horrid images, but used with care can sometimes be a useful tool.

I've a short review at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuff2/?p=2684 - sorry about the ads, but they pay my wife's salary to work part time in our photography business ;-)

bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 04:15:13 pm »

sorry about the ads, but they pay my wife's salary to work part time in our photography business ;-)

Glass half full - you've found a use for the softwear and it's ads.

Thanks for the write up - interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up