Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Alien Waltz  (Read 6413 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: An Alien Waltz
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 11:31:48 am »

I agree with most everything you said, Terry, but I remember being grabbed by HCB's photographs in various media back in the early fifties, before I paid any attention to the name attached to them or had any idea this guy was special in the world of photography.

I don't agree that "good composition (I assume you didn't really mean 'compensation')" varies with the photographer. Good composition is good composition just like real gold is real gold.

And regarding the idea of cropping Chris's picture on the left: If there's a problem it's not that there's too much space on the left, but that there's not enough space on the right -- in the direction of the bird's movement.

In any case, if you're prefer to bang away and crop later, be my guest. Bang away and crop away.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 02:54:04 pm »

Photography is all about cropping, you select your crop of reality by how you frame your shot, so to then crop into the image in post if you decide it needs it, is simply a continuation of that process.

I always try to crop with the camera when out in the field, but sometimes the scene just doesn't want to fit neatly into the 3:2 aspect ratio I am forced into with the type of camera I use, so I will happily crop in post if I think it improves the image and I feel no guilt by doing so, but as you can see by the vast majority of images I post here on Lula, that I do indeed try to mostly stick with the 3:2 aspect ratio and the image as it was shot in-camera, but this isn't because I feel a need to slavishly follow the 'rules', it is more to do with saving me time and money when framing prints etc, so I can buy and use stock frame sizes rather than custom sizes.

I think this whole cropping in post thing is bunkum if I am honest, photography is an art form and we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves as we pursue it and not treating it as some kind of hairshirt wearing penance. So just go out and enjoy yourself and don't get bogged down by listening to anyone telling you what you must or must not do, do whatever you think is best for you and your photography, be yourself not a rule following robot.  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:26:06 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »

In any case, if you're prefer to bang away and crop later, be my guest. Bang away and crop away.

I may be defending a photographer's right to crop, but please, do not lump me with the shoot-first-crop-later crowd. That concept is as anathema to me as it is to you. I will crop when required or, more often, when planned (the scene doesn't match the aspect ratio), but I do not "bang away and crop away". :)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 07:29:25 pm »

I think that Terry's honor can only be defended in a proper duel  ;)

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 08:09:18 pm »

will the duel involve a sword, pistol or Canon????

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 08:19:54 pm »

will the duel involve a sword, pistol or Canon????

Hopefully not this Cannon:

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 09:47:52 pm »

As long as Terry's not a member of the shoot-first-crop-later crowd, we're agreed, so we won't need to duel. Terry probably would be surprised to know how often I crop. But I only crop if I know I'm going to crop when I shoot the picture -- a practice Dave also claims to follow. When you're on the street with a 50mm prime you can't avoid those situations. I was flabbergasted when nobody called me out on the crop I did with this one.

But none of that refutes the fact that HCB did, in fact, frame his pictures incredibly well in a 3/2 aspect ratio. But I also believe he missed pictures more often than he'd have been willing to admit by insisting on perfect geometry, but always within 3/2.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 05:37:52 am »

Don't duel with Russ - he might be getting on a bit but he would probably shoot you first and crop you later....! ;D

Personally I love the idea of framing and leaving everything as it was in the viewfinder, and that works for some things.  But when I'm out shooting people, catching the moment or expression and maybe the inter-relationship between the subject and the background always takes precedence.  As I mostly use prime lenses too I have to accept that my image will often need to be cropped to some degree.

To the original picture - I love the simplicity.

Jim

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 01:29:25 pm »

Hopefully not this Cannon:

Thank you for posting that again, Slobodan. It had been lurking in my memory and I couldn't think where I'd seen it.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up